Spr Donald Taylor Somerville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spr Donald Taylor Somerville

The following from the Canadian Military Engineers Association website.

We regret to advise of the death of Sapper Donald Taylor Somerville (Ret’d) on Saturday, 16 September 2017 in Mississauga, ON at age 95. Don was a WW II veteran of Operation BERLIN, 25/26 September 1944 evacuation of the Allied Airborne force from Arnhem.

Don enlisted in the Royal Canadian Engineers (RCE) in February 1941 with 9th Field Company. After completing his Sapper training in Camp Petawawa ON, he arrived in England in July 1941 with the unit under its new name “1 Canadian Base Units Construction Company, RCE.” Don spent the next three years in England under training and working on construction projects for the Canadian Army and on defence works for the Defence of Britain. Don was reassigned to 23rd Field Company in May 1944 by which time the unit had been in England for two years and was anticipating a major role in the Invasion of Europe.

On 11 July 1944 Donald disembarked on the shores of Juno Beach, France. His company soo_nMoved into the outskirts of Caen where they got to work clearing a roadway through the city of Caen for the Allied advance. Regularly under fire as the city was still hotly contested, they constructed the “Andy’s Alley” roadway by clearing mines, filling potholes, bulldozing, and demolishing obstacles. After clearing this route they built “Reynold’s Bridge” across the Orne River.

The 23rd Field Company was next assigned to support a 4th Armoured Division assault crossing of the Seine River near Pont De L’Arche. Don and his company had trained extensively back in England on British “Storm Boats” and this assault crossing was successful under the occasional artillery and mortar fire. The 23rd continued to ferry the allied forces and next built a Bailey Bridge across the Seine River in less than 24 hours.

The company continued to supported the Allied advance into Belgium and Holland. and played the major role in "Operation BERLIN"- the evacuation of the depleted and encircled British 1st Airborne Division across the Neder Rijn. Don finished the war with the 20th Field Company where he was transferred after returning to duty after an injury in Holland.

With Kind Regards

Julia Weymouth
    "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Re: Spr Donald Taylor Somerville

R.I.P. Donald.

Comment

RIP ​Donald.

Comment

Rest In Peace Donald
        I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

RIP Brother.
          I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

R.I.P. Donald
            Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

RIP Don
              Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Rest easy Donald, you deserve it, Valhalla awaits.

Comment

RIP Donald. You more than did your bit
                  "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                  Me

Comment

rest in peace don
                    shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

R.I.P Donald condolences to your family and friends

Comment

RIP
                        2 Para Pal,6 plt B.Coy. Sounds good to me.

Comment

Done more than your bit Donald. RIP old soldier.

Comment

Working...
                          X