Out and about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Out and about

Truebrit I struggle to find music for my videos we went to Gt Yarmouth the other day and that music was being played on a music stall. Curtis Magee (never heard of him) 25 love songs the clip song "the story I tell you"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
      About 20 years since I last visited mesen Bob,but talking to an old dear from across the road who visited last week,it,s expanded a lot since then.The threpenny bits open,and they,ve more or less rebuilt a big f.ck off stately home that was demolished somewhere in the North East,and looking at the updated leaflet,it,s twice the size it was when I last visited.
      £13 to get in,but thinking about it,you have a good nostalgic day out,and compared to £28 to see shite 3rd Division Footy,ses it all!
      Dave , sounds like it's changed a bit since I last saw it, I've got to get up that way sometime because most of my family originate from Hetton Le hole, all pitman. I have just started doing the family tree, and found it's full of characters.
      Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
        Beamish, great place, when I want a blast from the past that's the place to be ! How much are they charging now Dave, because it's a few years since I last paid it a visit ?
        Bob you don't need to visit it mate, you were there first time round.
        "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
          Dave , sounds like it's changed a bit since I last saw it, I've got to get up that way sometime because most of my family originate from Hetton Le hole, all pitman. I have just started doing the family tree, and found it's full of characters.
          I wondered where do all the Frog sounding names in Geordieland come from Hetton Le Hole, Chester Le Street. Wikipedia gives this;

History

The history of the Hetton area can be traced back for up to a thousand years. The unusual name of Hetton-le-Hole derives from two Anglo-Saxon words which were spelt together "Heppedune" or Bramble Hill. The name gave rise to a local landowning family, the le Hepdons who owned part of the Manor from the very earliest times. The ancient manor, which was bounded by that of Elemore, was divided into two parts known as Hetton-on-the-Hill and Hetton-in-the-Hole. This second and more sheltered part, was the vicinity in which the village ultimately arose. Records exist of the many holders of the manor right back to the 14th century. William de Hepdon held half the Manor by deed in 1363 and in 1380, William de Dalden held the other half. Even earlier charters go back to 1187 and make mention of the early village of Heppedune, its people, houses, crofts, ox-gangs and strips of land for the villagers in the three great fields around the settlement. In 1187 Bertram de Heppedune held the manor for the King and the other de Hepdons were his descendants.

Etymology

The Romans called their fort Concangis or Concagium, a Latinisation of the Celtic name for the area, "Place of the horse people", which also gave name to the waterway through the town, Cong Burn. The precise name is uncertain as it does not appear in Roman records, but Concangis is the name most used today.[17][18]

In Anglo-Saxon times the settlement was called Cuneceastra[19] or Conceastre,[20] the name of the burn combined with the English word for a Roman fort. This shortened over time to Chester, the name used locally for the town, or Cestria in Latin.[nb 1] But "Chester" is a common name for towns in England, and in the Middle Ages "Street", for the Roman road, was added. The Universal etymological English dictionary of 1749 gives the town as "Chester upon Street" (and describes it as "a Village in the Bishoprick of Durham").[21] At some point this was shortened to the modern form.
          "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Some great place names round ere Bob int the? As you say,"Hetton-Le Hole","Houghten-Le -Spring","Shiny Row","Pity Me",weer me dear owd grandma came from.
            There,s even somewhere quite near Beamish actually called "No Place".
            Imagine gerrin a tug from plod,and they ask you where you come from and you answer,"No Place",worra f.ckin laff that would be.Owd P.C. Knobhard ad think yer being a reight cheeky c.nt!

Comment

Any one want a job

Comment

You sure get around Jack, it's a wonder that old van of yours still manages keeps going after all the miles you must put on it.
                God made Para's to give Marines someone to look up to and worship.

Comment

Really enjoyed that Jack,a glimpse of the conditions the "underground savages" worked in,F.ck That! Rather lob out of an aircraft! Am presently reading a book outa the library about WW1,titled,"Underneath Hill 60",a brilliant read,all about the tunneling done by miners from Britain,Canada,Australia and South Africa who put their mining expertise into blowing the Germans off the Messines Ridge in 1917.No military training,give em a uniform and a Lord Lovel and off they went digging like f.ck,their work rate and skill,f.ckin unbelievable.Shaft 40 feet deep,all by hand,then off horizontally towards the German trenches,one geezer with his back against a wooden board,kicking out the clay using a spade,then all the spoil moved by hand to the base of the shaft to be hoisted up to the surface and then a bit like horse shit,kicked about until it blended in with the scenery so the Gerry spotters in Balloons could,nt see what they were up to.
                  Really tough f.ckers them underground savages!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                    Really enjoyed that Jack,a glimpse of the conditions the "underground savages" worked in,F.ck That! Rather lob out of an aircraft! Am presently reading a book outa the library about WW1,titled,"Underneath Hill 60",a brilliant read,all about the tunneling done by miners from Britain,Canada,Australia and South Africa who put their mining expertise into blowing the Germans off the Messines Ridge in 1917.No military training,give em a uniform and a Lord Lovel and off they went digging like f.ck,their work rate and skill,f.ckin unbelievable.Shaft 40 feet deep,all by hand,then off horizontally towards the German trenches,one geezer with his back against a wooden board,kicking out the clay using a spade,then all the spoil moved by hand to the base of the shaft to be hoisted up to the surface and then a bit like horse shit,kicked about until it blended in with the scenery so the Gerry spotters in Balloons could,nt see what they were up to.
                    Really tough f.ckers them underground savages!
                    there's a pretty good aussie movie out from that book Dave. Another great book is Birdsong, once you get past the first boring 50 or so pages, some great descriptions of life in the tunnels.
                    Last edited by stephenfrank; 10 September 2013, 00:28.
                    I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Good bit of filming Jack; very informative. My Grandad worked down the pit when he was ten years old. I found that out from Census records when he was long gone. I'm not too far from Beamish, I might get up there for a closer look.

Comment

Working coal mines. The first was a small mine with only 18 inch seams. Miners in shorts , with knee pads, lay on their backs or sides hewing coal, which they threw over their shoulder. This was in turn swept up by a scoop attached to a chain. They did this for 8 hours a day. The second pit, Horden Colliery, was one of the largest in the UK and went below the North Sea for 7 miles. Pumps were used 24 hours a day, otherwise the pit would be lost to flooding. Initially you went down in a cage to several hundred feet, ending in a large whitewashed cavern , where the pit ponies were kept. From there you sat on a belt which took me down a steep incline. At the bottom of this, then get on a train for 45 minutes to travel the 7 miles to the "Workings".From the rail end , one would walk through low tunnels, lit only by the helmet lamps ,to the face.The roof was supported by Dowty props and one would be told to move in unison, and part of the roof fell behind us. Scary stuff. The face was being gouged out by a huge rotating disc called the Miner.The coal was whisked back to the waiting rail carriages on long conveyor belts. They spent a couple of hours down there before retracing their steps to the surface, which was a welcome sight. Horden Colliery was closed by Thatcher, and the rubble and old machinery dumped down the shaft, which was then sealed. The only evidence that a pit ever existed there is a half pulley wheel set up where the gates used to be. The village died to a large degree, and many of the older terraced houses were demolished and replaced with modern houses. In retrospect, closing the pit was not a bad thing as it was an un-natural way to earn a living. But it did tear the heart out of the community, and the Horden Colliery of old disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by jackw102 View Post
                          Any one want a job

See he's holding the old safety lamp or ( Glenny) as us pitman used to call them, I'd like a bob or two for every time I carried one of them .
                          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by jackw102 View Post
                            Working coal mines. The first was a small mine with only 18 inch seams. Miners in shorts , with knee pads, lay on their backs or sides hewing coal, which they threw over their shoulder. This was in turn swept up by a scoop attached to a chain. They did this for 8 hours a day. The second pit, Horden Colliery, was one of the largest in the UK and went below the North Sea for 7 miles. Pumps were used 24 hours a day, otherwise the pit would be lost to flooding. Initially you went down in a cage to several hundred feet, ending in a large whitewashed cavern , where the pit ponies were kept. From there you sat on a belt which took me down a steep incline. At the bottom of this, then get on a train for 45 minutes to travel the 7 miles to the "Workings".From the rail end , one would walk through low tunnels, lit only by the helmet lamps ,to the face.The roof was supported by Dowty props and one would be told to move in unison, and part of the roof fell behind us. Scary stuff. The face was being gouged out by a huge rotating disc called the Miner.The coal was whisked back to the waiting rail carriages on long conveyor belts. They spent a couple of hours down there before retracing their steps to the surface, which was a welcome sight. Horden Colliery was closed by Thatcher, and the rubble and old machinery dumped down the shaft, which was then sealed. The only evidence that a pit ever existed there is a half pulley wheel set up where the gates used to be. The village died to a large degree, and many of the older terraced houses were demolished and replaced with modern houses. In retrospect, closing the pit was not a bad thing as it was an un-natural way to earn a living. But it did tear the heart out of the community, and the Horden Colliery of old disappeared.

Jack, I worked at Lynemouth Colliery, in Northumberland, and a lot of what you described brought a lot of memories flooding back, the chain and scoop you described was called the treppaner, although I did work the old hand filling conveyors , we never used that. But Lynemouth did have mechanised coal movers such as continuous miners, and disk shearers. Whatever the job mate, it was all hard graft !
                            Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
                              there's a pretty good aussie movie out from that book Dave. Another great book is Birdsong, once you get past the first boring 50 or so pages, some great descriptions of life in the tunnels.
                              Beneath hill Sixty. Its on my CD Player right now. Get it Dave it is a cracking film. I just rented it from the library
                              Last edited by trubrit2411; 11 September 2013, 14:53.
                              "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                              Me

Comment

Just finished the book Tone,if the film is half as good,it must be a belter!

Comment

Working...
                                X