Malaya from 57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malaya from 57

I just put this vid up on youtube, it was on a 16mm film then on to VHS and today downloaded on to my PC then
    on to youtube.
    Don't f*****g laugh, I was only 11 on the vid, and only spoke English for 3. 1/2 yrs.
    Travelling up the highlands which took about 4 hours, sitting in the back of the landrover, waiting for any
    possible ambush.
    The photo attached is my first girlfriend, and yes.
    When she was around 23, she was a model in Venice.
    Travelling up from Ipoh by landrover to Slim School Cameron Highlands. I was 11yrs old there, although I was in Malaya from 1951Then travelling back down, in...
    Attached Files
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
    A Great Civilization is not Conquered from without
    Until it has destroyed itself from within
    W.Durant

Re: Malaya from 57

Are you still in touch with her John?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
      Are you still in touch with her John?
      The last time I touched her...........saw her was in 1967, when I took a trip to Italy, and met up with her in Venice.
      Never saw her again from that time.
      Her dad was a butcher in the forces, cant remember which Reg now.
      W.Durant

Comment

Great video.
        Mr. Spielberg will be getting worried!
        Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
        Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Comment

Is the Slim School still there John ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Doc Doherty View Post
            Great video.
            Mr. Spielberg will be getting worried!
            He must have taken note of my dad's 16mm projector type camera, no sound of course in them days.
            But must have got Spielberg jealous, as he wasn't anywhere in the vicinity of 10,000 + CT's.
            Would make a good film nowadays though. Whilst the emergency is still fresh in the memories of those who where there.

Yes Dave its built up a bit more now though, and used for training the Malaysian special forces.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by HappyJack; 16 January 2015, 19:27.
            W.Durant

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD View Post
              The last time I touched her...........saw her was in 1967, when I took a trip to Italy, and met up with her in Venice.
              Never saw her again from that time.
              Her dad was a butcher in the forces, cant remember which Reg now.
              Reminds me of that old favourite John,:- "She wuz only the butchers daughter, but her undercut wuz dripping!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                Reminds me of that old favourite John,:- "She wuz only the butchers daughter, but her undercut wuz dripping!"
                I must admit Dave , she was a beauty.
                W.Durant

Comment

Talking of Malayans,the doctor I had to see at the Hospital yesterday to strap my broken finger up was one.He said "So you injured your finger on a motorbike,would you like to see your XRay?" I stepped forward to see it,and he asked "Do we need to XRay your legs as well?" I had to explain that this was my normal walk!Slanty eyed twat!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                    Talking of Malayans,the doctor I had to see at the Hospital yesterday to strap my broken finger up was one.He said "So you injured your finger on a motorbike,would you like to see your XRay?" I stepped forward to see it,and he asked "Do we need to XRay your legs as well?" I had to explain that this was my normal walk!Slanty eyed twat!
                    Yes I know what you mean Pat, the younger Malaysian generation seem to be twats, unlike they were when I grew up there in the 50's. A bit like the younger Brit's are here I suppose
                    W.Durant

Comment

Only joking John,he was very good,polite to a fault,and efficient,with excellent English,unlike most of the foreign doctors there!His question was genuine as he thought I'd fallen off the bike and injured my legs,but I had to explain that this was my normal waddle caused by the excesses of my misspent youth in The Reg!Fortunately I'd managed to keep the bike and sidecar on the road,and not on top of me in the field,after gently brushing my left hand along 4 or 5 fenceposts at 40 mph.Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD View Post
                        He must have taken note of my dad's 16mm projector type camera, no sound of course in them days.
                        But must have got Spielberg jealous, as he wasn't anywhere in the vicinity of 10,000 + CT's.
                        Would make a good film nowadays though. Whilst the emergency is still fresh in the memories of those who where there.

Yes Dave its built up a bit more now though, and used for training the Malaysian special forces.
                        They seem to have changed the place a lot from what it used to be - is the green in the middle an original part of the Slim School,or is it a New part built by the new occupants ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                          Only joking John,he was very good,polite to a fault,and efficient,with excellent English,unlike most of the foreign doctors there!His question was genuine as he thought I'd fallen off the bike and injured my legs,but I had to explain that this was my normal waddle caused by the excesses of my misspent youth in The Reg!Fortunately I'd managed to keep the bike and sidecar on the road,and not on top of me in the field,after gently brushing my left hand along 4 or 5 fenceposts at 40 mph.Ouch!
                          So what happened Pat, was it ice or booze?

Originally posted by tudor View Post
                          They seem to have changed the place a lot from what it used to be - is the green in the middle an original part of the Slim School,or is it a New part built by the new occupants ?
                          This photo was taken around 65, but basically as I remember it.
                          All around the area of Cameron Highlands, were considered to be a white zone, but everyone knew the CT's held up there, including where Chin Peng was eventually
                          arrested.
                          All that happened because of broken British promises.
                          Attached Files
                          W.Durant

Comment

No John,it was the result of coming round a bend to find two boy racers coming at me side by side.Had to pull off to the left to avoid a head on,and caught the left hand cylinder of the engine (Horizontally opposed) in the grass bank.Luckily there were no stones to tear the engine out,but there was a gap in the hedgerow with 4 or 5 fence posts,which the clutch lever caught on,crushing my hand,luckily only breaking the outer little finger and substantially bruising the hand.A Maureen,or other such lower form of life would've thrown the towel in at this point,but being of sterner stuff I carried on to my destination,a display to celebrate 100 yrs since Blair Mayne's birth at his old school.There I stood in the freezing cold for 6 hours to show my bike and a 1942 Ford Jeep done up as a SAS/LRDG wagon.Went sick two days later,and now have a ridiculously uncomfortable splint thingy on it.

Comment

So you were lucky Pat. How about holding one of your guns, any effect?

A mate of mine Ian Turner (served 29 yrs in 2 para). Had a Norbsa (combination), the days prior to wearing
                              head protection. At the top of the town in Ald passed the church was a small roundabout.
                              A car came down and didnt stop, he went strait over the top and landed on his head.
                              He picked his bike up and went back to camp, but I will never forget the top side of his head was flat.
                              Don't know how long that lasted.
                              W.Durant

Comment

Working...
                              X