Roy (Wendy) Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy (Wendy) Gibson

Roy was a steward on the MV Norland and volunteered to stay aboard for the duration of the war down South... He kept the troops entertained with his piano playing and singing.... 2 and 3 Para legend.... He played on through the ABF day brawl between 2 and 3 aboard Norland on return voyage.... My boys, my boys... He played on Dodging flying cans og grog...

RIP... Roy
    No further details at this time... Wait out
    HURRY UP AND WAIT

Re: Roy (Wendy) Gibson

RIP
    2 Para Pal,6 plt B.Coy. Sounds good to me.

Comment

R.I.P.

Comment

RIP

Comment

R.I.P. Wendy. My abiding memory of him,apart from the AB day playing through a storm of cans,was one morning at breakfast when I was wearing my sweat top from the Salisbury biker's pub featuring King Billy riding a Harley Davidson. Wendy,who was clearing tables said in that camp voice "Hmm,do you often ride big choppers Pat?"

Comment

Made oi larf Pat, reminds me of a few effeminate gays i have known, not least Canada in the Sqn, great sense of humour...suppose they needed it in those days?

This excellent tribute is doing the rounds on fudbook to an unwitting 'star' of the Falklands War was on FB.

We're organising a BAFC wreath (with a personalised message?), for his funeral.

So very sad to hear the loss of Roy "Wendy" Gibson. Every man of 2 Para will know this legend from the Falkland War and how much of a morale booster he was for the Batallion during our trip down south.

Wendy as we affectionately know him, was a gay steward serving on the ship we sailed to the Falklands, MV Norland. He was camp as they come, proud of his sexuality, which as you can imagine, wondering why this raving poof was allowed on the ship.

This wonderful man, human being, raving poof was without any shadow of doubt was an important member of 2 Para, he would entertain us with his songs during our trip south, all the favourites, such as "Show me the way to go home", "Pack up Your Troubles" and many more nostalgic songs. His piano playing was outstanding as he sang and had us singing his songs. Taking our minds off what was to happen in that very near future.

There are many stories you will hear, some tell of him walking the decks the night of the landings saying "Come back safe MY BOYS", we were his "BOYS", but he was our "Wendy"

When the battle of Goose Green was taking place and we were running out of ammo Ken Lukowiak recalls that a SNCO was loading ammo when he heard over the radio or tanoy system on the ship "My BOYs need Ammo, get my BOYs Ammo"

When we were returning home, we had 3 Para join us on the Norland and Ken recalled that he was playing cards with a guy from 3 Para and a few from 2 Para, when Wendy walked by or was setting up to play for us, the lad from 3 Para said "What the ****ing hell is that", the lads to a man said aggressively "That's our Wendy" in a protective manner, the lad from 3 Para got the message.

When we got back, Wendy came to Aldershot, a piano was acquired and being wheeled through the Shot to a pub for Wendy to play in. The pub was rammed, people out of the streets as if a mega star was playing in the pub. A MEGA STAR
            Wendy was to the men of 2 Para's Falkland Veterans.

Wendy you are always mentioned in any of our conversations when we reminisce about the Falklands, you played a much bigger role than you can ever imagine in the Falklands War and to the men of 2 Para, "Your Boys"

You will be missed, you are missed, we all love you!

RIP "Our Wendy"
            "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

R.I.P. Wendy
              Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

When we first got on Norland in Stanley harbour and discovered this phenomenon playing away on the old upright piano (self taught over his many years on ships) a plan was hatched to get one of the mexifloat rafts to drive over to Canberra and 'obtain' the grand piano from the bar that was the occifer's mess on the way down. Sadly we couldn't persuade the Maureen drivers that it had been sanctioned by General Moore,so it never happened.

Comment

RIP Wendy.

Comment

RIP Wendy
                    Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Rest In Peace Wendy - Always appreciated your kindness on the way down South and the trip back to Assension
                      I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but by all accounts on here a real character and if ever the man shone through the sexuality it was 2 Paras 'Wendy'. A deserved 2 Para mascot. Rest in peace

Comment

There's a just giving page for anyone who wants to donate.

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Working...
                          X