First free faller was a female...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First free faller was a female...

...Georgia “Tiny” Broadwick was the first woman to jump from an airplane and survive (http://mycommunityhub.co.uk/lily-cov...-haworth-gala/).

Between 1913 and 1922 she completed over 1,100 jumps. She invented the ripcord and is the only female member of the Early Birds of Aviation.

tiny.jpg

In 1914, she demonstrated parachutes to the U.S. Army, which at the time had a small, hazard-prone fleet of aircraft. The Army, reluctant at first to adopt the parachute, watched as Tiny dropped from the sky.

On one of her demonstration jumps, the static line became entangled in the tail assembly of the aircraft, so for her next jump she cut off the static line and deployed her chute manually, thus becoming the first person to jump free-fall. This demonstrated that pilots could escape aircraft by using what was later called a ripcord.
    "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Re: First free faller was a female...

Top Lady Don, but hope she wuz wearin bloomers underneath that skirt when she lobbed!

Comment

Let's hope so Dave because you might get a lob if you see them.
      It's not the dog in the fight,it's the fight in the dog that matters.

Comment

Well you learn something every day, a brave lady indeed !
        Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Gutsy girl. Especially in them days. I shouldn't imagine the chutes were anything special. She was married at 12 and had a kid at 13. Obviously the over 16 thing didnt apply where she was from.
          I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

N don,t think she wuz from soo-ap dodger land Iaan.

Comment

It was a Woman who invented the crotch strap on a Para smock. To stop their fannies whistling as they plummeted to Earth.

Comment

Same tash oughta developed a fukkin gob strap Chris!

Comment

Originally posted by treeman View Post
                  It was a Woman who invented the crotch strap on a Para smock. To stop their fannies whistling as they plummeted to Earth.

More like a low blowing over the top of a milk bottle noise than a whistle I've found!

Comment

Working...
                  X