Remember shops...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember shops...

...like these? You could buy almost anything in them. The shopkeeper could be reasonably confident that the goods displayed outside would still be there at closing time if they hadn't been sold. Nowadays they'd probably be charged with obstructing the pavement.

shop.jpg
    Last edited by Don the Mod; 16 November 2020, 12:31.
    "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Re: Remember shops...

The old Hardware shop Don, reminds me when I was a kid, my job was to take the two accumulators that the wireless used to run on to the Hardware shop and replace them for two charged ones. We had to do this because there was no electric in our cottage, but we did have gas mantle lighting. I used to get my pocket money for the Saturday pictures for that and other little chores I was designated, like cutting newspaper into little squares and hanging them on a a bit of string in the outside netty. Memories eh ?
    Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

A shop like that which went back generations sadly closed earlier this year. Tha cud gerrowt tha needed and the geezer wud even cut stuff ta size fer thi, saved a lot o fukkin about.

Comment

Someone would trip over something, sue him and he'd go bankrupt, nowadays.
        I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

people would laugh now, but we had a kettle which was boiled on the fire range, remember me dad used to buy washers and rivet them on to the bottom when it used to get a hole.
          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
            Someone would trip over something, sue him and he'd go bankrupt, nowadays.
            You're probably right Steve, that and the pavement by laws, combined with the large stores wanting a slice of, in fact all of, everybody's pie and these bastard out of town 'Malls' def killed the high street. Even the charity shops are closing in my Stadt.

Comment

There were many of these shops in town all over england they had everything you wanted

Comment

Good telly
                It's not the dog in the fight,it's the fight in the dog that matters.

Comment

Filmed az thaz just guin inta Doncaster, dun a few roofin jobs theer.

Comment

I remember the diy shop where you could buy 7 nails!!!.

Comment

...and four candles?

Comment

That was fork handles you asked for?
                        It's not the dog in the fight,it's the fight in the dog that matters.

Comment

No! Fork handles...

Comment

Thi don,t arf burn fer a long time Ron.

Comment

that photo takes me back to a store called the handy hut at airdrie cross near the bank. if they did not have no one did.
                              shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Working...
                              X