Reculver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reculver

Went out today for a walk, thought I would Tab to Reculver there and back is about is about 10 miles . I wasn't disappointed , there are the ruins of an old Saxon church, and the site of an old Roman Fort called Regulbium dating from around AD250. Pity old DB wasn't there with his hurdy gurdy, it would be interesting to know what lies beneath !
    Reculver 01.jpg Reculver 02.jpg Reculver 03.jpg It was also used in WW2, by the dambusters using the twin towers as an aiming mark to test the bouncing bomb which was dropped at Minnis Bay /
    Last edited by bob9739; 30 September 2020, 20:14.
    Bob (geordie) Watts

Re: Reculver

Good tab that Bob and from the pics worth the walk. Can see why the dam-busters used it to try out their aiming sight

Comment

Speaking of the Dambusters,
      It's not the dog in the fight,it's the fight in the dog that matters.

Comment

Some old wrecks there, Bob. You'd think they would knock them down and build a McDonalds and a nice car park.
        I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Well done Bob its nice to get out I manged a few miles on the bike yesterday looks like we are in for more rain at the week end

Comment

Jack, got to do it while you can mate, just got back and the weather changed. But having said that had my waterproofs with me just in case, Steve, reference Macdonalds, I think the Romans tried changing the locals taste but they weren't having it. So old Ceaser decided to bugger off and leave them to it mate.
            Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Rab ,piece of history that should never be forgotten mate, when you think of the blokes that flew those bombers against those dams to disrupt the German war machine must have been gut wrenching. Take my hat off to them !
              Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
                Jack, got to do it while you can mate, just got back and the weather changed. But having said that had my waterproofs with me just in case, Steve, reference Macdonalds, I think the Romans tried changing the locals taste but they weren't having it. So old Ceaser decided to bugger off and leave them to it mate.
                the Romans left us, Tony and his chip shop.
                I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

"All righta my matea,whatta you want? For you the besta chips and sausagea in the shop!" Those spare ribs and half chickens of his had been around since the Roman invasion at least!

Comment

Hey Bob. There one corner on that church out of plumb mate. The clerk of works missed that !
                    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                    Me

Comment

talking of plumb, weathers good, got mi footing in for a garden wall, soon as I pick a brick up and get sum muck on mi trowel- it will piss down,

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
                        talking of plumb, weathers good, got mi footing in for a garden wall, soon as I pick a brick up and get sum muck on mi trowel- it will piss down,
                        Get Jim down to help you, he's a master drystane dyker.
                        "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Originally posted by Don the Mod View Post
                          Don't do mud Don

Comment

Originally posted by Don the Mod View Post
                            In dyking terms it's called Devils porridge

Comment

I thought that was cordite,according to the display near Gretna where the production plant used to be!

Comment

Working...
                              X