No announcement yet.

The 16th Independent Parachute Brigade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 16th Independent Parachute Brigade.

Queens Avenue Aldershot....

"If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Re: The 16th Independent Parachute Brigade.

Talk about confined ta fukkin history! Maida Gym still theer, wonder if mi weights o still in the loft? Wonder if the snooker table iz still in the owd Soldiers gaff?

Comment

The NAAFI and Sqn bar have changed a bit.

monty lines.jpg
      Last edited by Don the Mod; 16 September 2020, 11:41.
      "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Wish i had a dollar for every time i staggered between the Sqn Bar and Rhine Bks. I would be a wealthy man.
        I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Think that one you've marked as Band Room is the main guardroom Don,on the side of the main square. The one at the top of the pic,same shape,by the A325 alongside the old boxing centre,was the band room if I remember rightly. I think Normandy and Bruneval are wrong way round as well. I could be wrong on all this of course!

Comment

Tone, couldn't open that mate, got a 400 error sayin the client has a malformed request. Buggered if I know what all that's about !
            Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
              Think that one you've marked as Band Room is the main guardroom Don,on the side of the main square. The one at the top of the pic,same shape,by the A325 alongside the old boxing centre,was the band room if I remember rightly. I think Normandy and Bruneval are wrong way round as well. I could be wrong on all this of course!
              It's more than likely you're right Pat, i wouldn't trust my memory these days. I think the block to the left of the 'N' of Normandy is the Officers Mess, blown up in 72.

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
              Tone, couldn't open that mate, got a 400 error sayin the client has a malformed request. Buggered if I know what all that's about !
              Last edited by Don the Mod; 16 September 2020, 14:22.
              "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Fukkin ell! Just clocked the inside o Maida Gym! Thi dint av a sofa ta doss on when I did "P" Company n some kunts scrubbed the blood off the deck in the area we did the Millin.

Comment

Until the day I pop my clogs I will never understand why the 16th was ever interfered with in the first place. As Brigade it had to have been the the speediest most reactive and lethal in the whole of the British Army. It really was Independent. It was an Army within a larger Army. There was no where it could'nt go and nothing it could'nt do up to Brigade size operations....and the beauty of it was it was all in about fifty acres complete with its own training and selection establishment. Who ever set it up they did it perfect. Who ever tore it apart was an idiot. It could still have been there right now. Functioning as the rapid Reaction Force of the British Army.
                  Me

Comment

Normandy was the one right in front of the Parade Ground with Brigade HQ being in between Normandy and Maida.
                    Me

Comment

that is why they got rid of it tone "a army within a army" the big wigs hated the 16 th para brigade. any way i had the pleasure to work with some of the best soldiers in the world.
                      shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

When I think of them Tank Tracks Billy...I am not sure I would call it a pleasure... phew. 0.0
                        Me

Comment

Last time a stumbled o,er them wuz when a did the Paras 10 in the early 90s, muddy as fukk n when a ran past some geezer bent down diggin away a asked, "Wot the fukk o thaa duin?" n eee looked up n replied, "Tryin ta dig mi runnin shoe outa the fukkin shite!"

Comment

Don, cheers for the Google post mate, my how the world has changed !
                            Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

When was this Don , this was in 58, Corruna Bks, 3 Para, across the road from Maida Gym n Smith Dorrien, similar to the NAAFi, Edycashun was MT 16 Provo was the start o the Company lines running from 16 Provo to the direction o scoff house 5 double story blocks wi A Coy at the top end running to SP Coy at the bottom, working upwards from road ,NAAFI was 1st block Reg sigs n band, 2nd block HQ wallers block, then wooden block Reg HQ, then Occifers mess, scoff house was in same area wi the nick across the road , on the topside

Comment

Working...
                              X