Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farrah The Para... The battle of the Imjin River.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Farrah The Para... The battle of the Imjin River.

"If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

Originally posted by Gil View Post
      Sadly tooooooooooo tall was Bill and slow with it. He did however, get a Victoria Cross and well deserved too.
      Absolutely deserved!

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
        Absolutely deserved!
        A Bit naughty that Bill Speakman had to sell his VC for a measly roof on a cottage. If I was in Blighty there is no way I would not have shown up and cured the blues on that roof for that man. He should have made it known he was having problems with it. I bet ex Army blokes would have come out the woodwork from everywhere.
        Whip off the tile Felt it batten it. Whip the tile back on. No sweat. You could have made a holiday out of it.Plus you got to meet Bill Speakman.

Unless there was summat else....but to sell a VC for a roof is sad.

Anyway...If... dont count
        Last edited by trubrit2411; 15 September 2020, 18:42.
        Me

Comment

Trubrit,
          He was probably too proud to ask for help.
          I can understand that, so he sold his only high value asset. It is sad, but I don't think blokes like him, who are used to standing on their own two feet, like to go asking for things they can't afford. I can fully understand though.

Comment

But it so little effort to bang out a roof Fidlay
            A roof of all things. When I was in me twenties... Me... 3 Para Geordie Stan Richards... and another civvy bricky swapped them roofs on a pair of Semi's over in a week flat of 9 hour days. Including scaffolding the back walls and all the Ridge and hip tiles laid on beautiful because we was Brickies.. Put half the tile on the scaffold and the other on the deck. Away you go.
            Pity it could'nt have been done...and him kept that VC

They say hindsight is 2020.
            Last edited by trubrit2411; 15 September 2020, 18:59.
            Me

Comment

Bloke who won a VC in WW1 came oo-am from the trenches on leave n wuz given a civic reception n heros welcome befoor avin ta gu back. End o the war eee survived, came back ta find some other fukker ad taken iz job, far cry from "A Country Fit Fer Heros" bollox. Outa collar n family ta feed so flogged iz VC ta the local Museum. Descendants approached the Museum ta buy it back n got fukked off, so medal still not wi iz family weer it rightly belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                Bloke who won a VC in WW1 came oo-am from the trenches on leave n wuz given a civic reception n heros welcome befoor avin ta gu back. End o the war eee survived, came back ta find some other fukker ad taken iz job, far cry from "A Country Fit Fer Heros" bollox. Outa collar n family ta feed so flogged iz VC ta the local Museum. Descendants approached the Museum ta buy it back n got fukked off, so medal still not wi iz family weer it rightly belongs.
                Break the glass on the cabinet it is in and take the medal. We are sending 'artifacts' back to all sorts of countries because it is 'nicking their culture' that VC is nicking family bravery, take it f***in back

Comment

Bill Speakman served with the SAS in Malaya. Was chatting about him just a few days ago, with an old Regiment pal who served a lot longer than I did. Didn't know it at the time, but my old troop sergeant was with Speakman in Malaya. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&ur...AAAAAdAAAAABAP
                  Last edited by treeman; 15 September 2020, 22:47.

Comment

He sold his VC for fifteen hundred quid.

For a roof
                    Me

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
                      Break the glass on the cabinet it is in and take the medal. We are sending 'artifacts' back to all sorts of countries because it is 'nicking their culture' that VC is nicking family bravery, take it f***in back
                      Thats what I thought. .... Theres more than one way to skin a cat
                      Me

Comment

Too fukkin reight lads cos if it wuz part o my family heritage it,d bi hidden under the floorboords az a wuz gladly servin time in the fukkin slammer!

Comment

How much would that Victoria Cross be worth today ?
                          Me

Comment

Last one that went went for £400,000. Sadly like a classic car, the provenance is what raises the money!!

Comment

Well Bill Speakmans VC would be worth a bit by now then right?
                              It don't come no better that dashing up and down....wounded.. chucking beer bottles into the firepower of Chinese Infantry Brigade
                              Me

Comment

Ope it wuz that fukkin "Courage! ale, that,s enuff piss ta kill plenty o the split link twats!

Comment

Working...
                                X