HOW TIME FLIES....BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOW TIME FLIES....BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN

You know what I could never figure out ? That FOB system. Were single units were posted / positioned deep in enemy territory Alamo fashion. Then expected to leave on patrol every day. It was like they were occupying an area with just a company of blokes.
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

Sadly, its the same process we carried out "over and over again" in NI/Aden/Malaya/Iraq/Macedonia/Middle East/Dofar etc
      We set up in a remote TA centre or school, or an old unused Foreign Legion Fort and "Policed" the whole area from there, calling in Air Assets as and when we needed them when we were under attack or just to give them a warning burst!!!
      The FOB system was named in Afghanistan, because they were ALL linked. Sadly comes in a hot country is shite, but what comes they had with their own dedicated 216 lad with them at each FOB seemed to work OK.
      Any views?

Comment

Getting a bit crotchety now but my recollections of being pushed forward in to 'outposts' (no matter what name they gave them) was that the lads up the sharp end were totally reliant on support getting to them very quickly, whether that was boots or air support, the communications had to be instant and the reaction immediate. Often when the shit hit the proverbial, the 'plan' was not clearly understood by all the players, the communications frequently failed (was it 43 Sets?), the reaction force were in bed, and if the reaction force were awake the transport (air or trucks was often not ready) Learned to assume that f**k ups would happen and go out with enough clout to make the t**ts think twice. Any wash up after an incident every c**t had an excuse. Not sure whether that impression carried through to the shit-holes experienced by lads later

Comment

Spot on...............we just "soldiered on" in whichever shithole they deemed a necessary spot for us to inhabit and defend to the last.

Comment

Yes Gil but you could get away with that in some places....even in Aden and up the Radfan.....but the Taliban was/is a different kettle of fish. They are a formidable dedicated and fervent enemy that had just put the Russians away. I believe George Bush and his War Hawks Wolfowitz and Co...had no idea of Afghan history when they decided to actually occupy the place. In fact I think they were woefully ignorant after what happened in Nam. They certainly never read about Elpinstone's retreat from Kabul.

Like Wig sez FOB's only work if everything works like clockwork. The 3 Para lads stuck out on that one in Sanguin had a lucky escape I think. Give a tad bit longer for the Taliban to coalesce and that could have been a deadly outcome.
            Like Hill 9 with those Russian Para's

I believe Steve O'Connell has tabbed that hill. He put a post on here about it if I remember right.
            Last edited by trubrit2411; 14 August 2020, 17:41.
            Me

Comment

Makes you wonder why youngsters at school are not taught about modern conflicts and the affect it has on its participants. I believe it is because teachers won't discuss it because they object to military intervention. This subject is just as important to kids education as is past conflicts, as it may affect their future . Or Am I totally wrong here ?
              Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

All these conflicts o called Brushfire Wars Bob, summat that modern generations no fukk all about.

Comment

Think about it Dave. You I Para and 43 Cmdo blokes were the very last of the Colonial Soldiers that manned these Colonial Outposts. What we got left now....Belize ?
                  Last edited by trubrit2411; 15 August 2020, 18:40.
                  Me

Comment

I suppose FOB's on our 2 PARA border tour, were Forkhill and Crossmaglen, no different to all the other small wars IMHO!
                    You still have to get from A to B without losing your life.

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
                      Think about it Dave. You I Para and 43 Cmdo blokes were the very last of the Colonial Soldiers that manned these Colonial Outposts. What we got left now....Belize ?
                      Aint even got our own country now Tone, well not the one we were brought up in and served loyally. Twats in succesive governments have surrendered the country we once knew and loved, to the Muslims and shite they,ve lerrin from far flung shithoyles and given em the rights that we once ad. Who wudda thought in the carefree days of our youth that overtime the country wud slide inta the fukkin state it iz now? Criminal offence ta express views that you believe in, geezers shaggin n marryin geezers, tash shaggin n marryin tash classed az perfectly normal behaviour, fukk off! Not in my World! Tha turns the gogglebox on these days n it,s like Bongo Bongo land TV n a prog comes on n tha sees two geezers snoggin each other in a race ta see who gets ta use the Vaseline first. Transgender n Gay Pride rule the fukkin roost wi anyone I class az "Normal" a virtual fukkin outcast. Just imagine way back in our skoyl days a geezer in our class turnin up in iz sisters dress tellin everyone that eez decided ta be a girl, quite "Normal" these days burra just don,t fukkin buy it cos a reckon the crafty kunts just wanna find a way ta gu inta the girls showers then nip inta the bog fer a crafty wank. Ang on a bit! Why the fukk dint I think o that 58 fukkin years agu?

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
                        Makes you wonder why youngsters at school are not taught about modern conflicts and the affect it has on its participants. I believe it is because teachers won't discuss it because they object to military intervention. This subject is just as important to kids education as is past conflicts, as it may affect their future . Or Am I totally wrong here ?
                        No you are not wrong Bob. Kids now think that the bad bastards in WW2 were the allies, particularly for dropping 2 A bombs on those slant eyed bastards. They are not taught that the Japs were slaughtering the Chinese in their millions long before Pearl Harbour, they are not taught that Germany, Japan and Italy were the aggressors, not the Allies. Japan had been involved in attacking or threatening to attack neighbouring countries since WW1. Watch 'The Rape of Nanking on Youtube (I would show it to all high schools) I do not care how hardened a soldier you may be, it will sicken. Germany had initiated 11 years of total war in a 30 year period. Britain, France, Russia and the US had no aim to attack anyone at that time. If the allies had attacked mainland Japan they estimated about 2,000,000 allied casualties, kids are not taught that. In fact I think the 2 bombs saved Japanese lives, imagine the huge bombing forces held at that time by the US, Russia and the UK all attacking Japan, they would have carpet bombed the whole country before an allied boot touched soil, killing millions of the short arsed t**ts.. I wonder if Hitler would have hesitated to atom bomb London had they won the race for the bomb?

Comment

Or that the slant eyed bastards bayoneted ta dee-ath nurses n helpless patients in Singapore. Not exactly snowflake PC that I reckon!

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
                            No you are not wrong Bob. Kids now think that the bad bastards in WW2 were the allies, particularly for dropping 2 A bombs on those slant eyed bastards. They are not taught that the Japs were slaughtering the Chinese in their millions long before Pearl Harbour, they are not taught that Germany, Japan and Italy were the aggressors, not the Allies. Japan had been involved in attacking or threatening to attack neighbouring countries since WW1. Watch 'The Rape of Nanking on Youtube (I would show it to all high schools) I do not care how hardened a soldier you may be, it will sicken. Germany had initiated 11 years of total war in a 30 year period. Britain, France, Russia and the US had no aim to attack anyone at that time. If the allies had attacked mainland Japan they estimated about 2,000,000 allied casualties, kids are not taught that. In fact I think the 2 bombs saved Japanese lives, imagine the huge bombing forces held at that time by the US, Russia and the UK all attacking Japan, they would have carpet bombed the whole country before an allied boot touched soil, killing millions of the short arsed t**ts.. I wonder if Hitler would have hesitated to atom bomb London had they won the race for the bomb?
                            The school i was in we taught about WW2 in the modern studies class, because the teacher wanted to teach it. In mainstream schools they MUST stick to the national curriculum. I could never have worked in a "normal" school.
                            "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Working...
                            X