Monty visits the blokes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monty visits the blokes....

Recognise the lads face at 9:46 I think it was a PRA visit from up north.

Comment

Is there still an Airborne Forces museum? If so, where is it? First went through it in a barrack block in Maida (I think) mid 50's and almost all of the stuff was from WW2, particularly Arnhem, you could still smell it.

Comment

It's at Duxford ask Gil for special rates.��
        Last edited by RAB; 30 July 2020, 11:32.
        It's not the dog in the fight,it's the fight in the dog that matters.

Comment

Used to enjoy a day out in there, when it was at the shot .
          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

When I was in Depot they used to use blokes who were on the sick as reception,sitting behind a desk in the entrance. One young lad found a Mills grenade in the drawer and began playing with it,whereupon it partially exploded,the det still being in it,and took a couple of fingers off. On investigation it was found that all the ammo in the place was live,including a PIAT and several 3" mortar bombs in the tableau of Arnhem they had in there. Quick bit of back pedaling and form filling,followed by deactivation!

Comment

Can remember az a crow at Maida bein taught Regimental History, think it wuz Maurice Tugwell duin the teaching in the Museum, nice rest n tryin ta stop droppin off ta doss, but can distinctly remember owd Maurice showin uz the original model plan o the Bruneval Raid.

Comment

They had some great original stuff in there,especially in the store where they kept the stuff they couldn't fit on the floor. I was in the shit in '82 for giving them a Argentine 105mm anti tank gun,similar to the US 106mm or a Wombat. It had been delivered as a trophy,but we already had one outside the guardroom and as it hadn't been deactivated the 2i/c demanded that it could stand outside during the day,but every evening must be put in the armourer's shop. This involved bouncing it down the 6 steps from the guardroom,up another 6 and then moving all the benches in the shop to get it in. After a week or so of this I got pissed off,tied it to the back of my old Austin Allegro,and towed it down to the museum to make them an offer they couldn't refuse. After a couple of hours manipulating it round the display cases I returned to camp to be asked by the 2i/c Roger 'Black Adder' Patton how the armourers were able to work with it in the workshop. My reply that I'd given it away didn't please him at all,but I flatly refused to go and get it back. The museum curator asked if I wanted a plaque on it to say I'd donated it,but I passed on that!

Comment

Originally posted by Gil View Post
                  Recognise the lads face at 9:46 I think it was a PRA visit from up north.
                  Gill I was with Bob Wilde (parabob on this site) the visit was organised by Norfolk PRA

Comment

back in 2010

Comment

Jack Roger that, hope they enjoyed it.

Ron, where you been for the last 22 years. We moved from Aldershot when they threatened to knock down Browning Barracks (still standing) along with Montgomery Lines in 2008 which is a new housing estate. I am the lowest rank on the Trustee's committee under Maj Gen (Retd) Adrian Freer of 8. If you ever want to go as an organised trip just phone the Office at Duxford Jon the Curator or Ben Paradata and he'll save you £22.50 each and get you in as a PARA guest! (01223 839909)

Gil
                      Last edited by Gil; 30 July 2020, 15:38.

Comment

I have got to see this place. When I get off that plane in Heathrow....straight in a rental motor and straight into one of them Duxford hotels.

looks like Ian's anti 403 method works a treat
                        Last edited by trubrit2411; 30 July 2020, 16:00.
                        "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                        Me

Comment

Originally posted by jackw102 View Post
                          Gill I was with Bob Wilde (parabob on this site) the visit was organised by Norfolk PRA
                          Jack, Bob's called marmite on here.
                          "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Don,
                            I was on that jump into Izmir in Turkey right shithole of a place and I hate Turkey anyway. L/Cpl John David BARRETT, 21 years of age at the time of the pile in and it was the 27th September 1973. Knew him as Ted, along with all the other Barretts in Battalion, he was on my Lance Jacks course, great lad. Buried in Blackburn.
                            Cause...........parachute failed to open, sadly just whistled in!

Strange exercise...............we left England where there was foot and mouth, it was a horrendous 7 hour 200foot flight everybody puking into helmets etc including the CO. Hit the groound an a filthy little Turkish squaddie runs up and makes you standup and stand in a tray of sheep dip with your boots cheeky twat. I felt that rough I just lay there, until someone shouted "Heavy Drop".
                            Then I dipped and ran
                            The village was called something like (phonetically) Kachookcheck metch kay? do you remember the fukkers flogging us melons? I cannot be the only one to witness this, but do you remember a Turkish officer asking us how much we were charged for the melons? He lost the rag when we told him(pennies), and put his pistol to the sellers head, the old boy shat himself.Then the Turkish soldiers trying to flog us something saying 'hashish hashish'.

That flight was murder as you say, when the door opened everyfukker wanted to leap out there and then, but the fukkers had us stood up for about 45 mins. I was never so happy to leave a Herc.

They gave us desert cam nets, me with my toy, the DZ and Gus Morrison chomping on a melon, Porky Willis looking on.
                            Turkey Gus Morrison Porky Turkey2.jpg__Turkey DZ2.jpg__Turkey 1.jpg

Turkey Desert Camnets2.jpg
                            Last edited by Don the Mod; 31 July 2020, 11:47.
                            "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Jack Roger that, hope they enjoyed it.

Ron, where you been for the last 22 years. We moved from Aldershot when they threatened to knock down Browning Barracks (still standing) along with Montgomery Lines in 2008 which is a new housing estate. I am the lowest rank on the Trustee's committee under Maj Gen (Retd) Adrian Freer of 8. If you ever want to go as an organised trip just phone the Office at Duxford Jon the Curator or Ben Paradata and he'll save you £22.50 each and get you in as a PARA guest! (01223 839909)

Gil
                              Kinnel! Been to reunions at Hereford, with the SBS at Poole and even with the old Borough police cops at Wigan, but never been to Airborne Forces Reunion, mi own army unit. got to get mi finger out and get to Duxford at the very least (Do they have ABF days any more, they used to be a riot)

Comment

All split up n regionalised now Ron,last one a went to wuz Eden Camp near York, just not the same. Mind you last big bash a went to in Aldershot wuz 1990 when we nearly got BBQd when some daft kunt burnt the 1 Para beer tent down at Rushmoor Arena. That,s moor fukkin like it!

Comment

Working...
                                X