BLM Pat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BLM Pat

The Beaufort Dyke,a deep trench just off Portpatrick on the west coast of Scotland is the best one for dumped munitions from both wars. Hundreds of thousands of tons of the stuff,plus nuclear waste from the 50's/60's that the government admitted to recently. When they were laying the gas pipes across to here a few years back there was an explosion,luckily minor,and they were afraid the lot was going to blow. Also loads of stuff washes up all along the coast from Bristol upwards towards there,as the skippers of the ships doing the dumping were on piecework,getting paid by the load,so they would just go out a few miles to sea and dump the stuff halfway to the Beaufort where the steep sides of the gulley stop the stuff drifting,and return to pick up another load!

Comment

Saltwater being as corrosive as it is with metal would eat that up with the passage of time would'nt it. I read somewhere the Titanic has a very short shelf life as history goes. I think oak lasts longer than metal. I wonder how they wrapped the nuclear waste ? Probably in ceramic ?
      "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
      Me

Comment

Probably in a sweet wrapper knowin the thick kunts Tone!

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
          Saltwater being as corrosive as it is with metal would eat that up with the passage of time would'nt it. I read somewhere the Titanic has a very short shelf life as history goes. I think oak lasts longer than metal. I wonder how they wrapped the nuclear waste ? Probably in ceramic ?
          Think it was concrete, Tony.
          "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Well if was concrete they probably don't exist now because concrete is short lived in Saltwater. When I did me College for me City and Guilds in the Lab we put a concrete cube in salt water in September of the first year and it lasted no time at all. I have sin what happens to concrete along the beach. You can scrape it off with your fingernails at thirty years old. Goes real soft real quick comparatively speaking. Its the salt of course. Really corrosive.
            Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
              Well if was concrete they probably don't exist now because concrete is short lived in Saltwater. When I did me College for me City and Guilds in the Lab we put a concrete cube in salt water in September of the first year and it lasted no time at all. I have sin what happens to concrete along the beach. You can scrape it off with your fingernails at thirty years old. Goes real soft real quick comparatively speaking. Its the salt of course. Really corrosive.
              Perhaps the concrete was for the "low level" landfill stuff?
              "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Originally posted by Don the Mod View Post
                Perhaps the concrete was for the "low level" landfill stuff?
                Well its high cement content structural stuff for earthquake zones. I just dumped 180 yards at 4500 psi in a foundation. Hard as hell in one day flat. Pain in the arse as it goes off so fast. We put low dose Clacium Chloride in it as a retardent to give us a bit of time in this Calif sun. I think that is what Bill chucked in his foundation. Along that beach in the 80's we were using 2500 psi (pounds per square inch compressive strength) but the salt air gets to it blind. Weird as well because I have heard of Ocean going boats made of Concrete.
                Me

Comment

They used to make barges from it,and some yachts even. Spayed over a frame of rebar usually,but they had a habit of shattering on impact with rocks and the like and sinking very swiftly. Of course concrete is semi buoyant anyway,and I've seen a lot of people come unstuck using huge blocks as moorings for boats and wondering why their boats moved at high tides,sometimes ending up wrecked on the rocks. It only weighs about 2/3rds as much in water due to air bubbles,and in rough/high tide conditions the boat can bob it along the bottom,and even pick it up,moving quite some distance.

Comment

Working...
                  X