Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Glorified SLR ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glorified SLR ?

It was just before we came back from Germany in 1980,which I seem to remember was around easter so it must have been feb or march they sent us there. It was still too hot for my liking out there in the desert,surrounded by Yanks and rattlers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Harley View Post
    It was just before we came back from Germany in 1980,which I seem to remember was around easter so it must have been feb or march they sent us there. It was still too hot for my liking out there in the desert,surrounded by Yanks and rattlers!
    That was the cold season lol. I been there in August.... Nothing moves in the middle of the day. Only air conditioned cars. It can be 95 at midnight with the heat radiating out of the desert floor. I built an adobe ranch house out there in the 80's. I was there for 6 months Mon to Fri. I was the only twat daft enuff to take it on. Thats when I nearly got scoffed by about thirty Coyotes....kipping in a half built, pitch black bedroom. :0)
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trubrit2411 View Post
    That was the cold season lol. I been there in August.... Nothing moves in the middle of the day. Only air conditioned cars. It can be 95 at midnight with the heat radiating out of the desert floor. I built an adobe ranch house out there in the 80's. I was there for 6 months Mon to Fri. I was the only twat daft enuff to take it on. Thats when I nearly got scoffed by about thirty Coyotes....kipping in a half built, pitch black bedroom. :0)
    Just out of interest Tone, is that the sort of place you would take a rifle or other weapon with you for protection?

Post Thanks / Like

I remember there used to be a hot wind that blew off the desert every night,which luckily stopped the planned night jump as there was a carpet of snakes at night!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by standinthedoor View Post
    Just out of interest Tone, is that the sort of place you would take a rifle or other weapon with you for protection?
    Well Wig....there is not much out there that will kill you.(maybe the sun and lack of preparation which kills tons) Except rattlers and they dont hunt you. There are Mountain Lions that snaff somebody every now and again... and the odd Bear attack in the mountains... (very rare). Coyotes avoid people like the Plague except for lone toddlers. They will take your tiny kid if you ain't about. Had a JCB bloke who lived near Lake Cuyamaca that had a kid threatened by one a couple of times. So I fixed him up with the Sunshine Staffords in San Diego and he got two pups that looked after the kids great when they got big. When they were playing in the garden.

I think that pack only got interested in me because I was kipping. Maybe thought I was dead. When I switched that torch on all hell broke loose. The yelping nearly deafened me as they all bolted.

I would say the most dangerous thing out there would be weirdo criminals. Some of the blokes on that job brought them because of that. They used to have rifle racks in the back window of the truck and a couple of rifles hanging. That was when the California was Republican. Then the loony Democrats got power and banned it. After that you could transport 'em but you had to hide them. (Like they are not/were'nt there) Coppers like them on view but what do they know ?

Wig when I first got here in the 70's kids used to take their rifles to school for "Show and tell" The schools had safe weapon handling classes and Rifle Clubs for the older kids. Under the auspices of the The Farming Clubs and 4H Club which taught ranching and animal husbandry to future farmers. Stuff like that. Some schools had there own ranges up in the foothills. Or visited private ones. Then the Liberals struck with their version of life.

Now you have CHAZ and CHOPS in Seattle. Black Lives Matters. (except when its a Black doing the slotting)....Gay parades. 27 different genders. Lads going to school in dresses. Queer Coppers dancing in the streets. School shootings, which seems to be always some twisted mixed up kid from a liberal family....Stuff like that.

This ain't the same place I came to now. Not at all.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2013/...les-c-w-cooke/
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 1 Week Ago at 18:52.
    Me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Harley View Post
    I remember there used to be a hot wind that blew off the desert every night,which luckily stopped the planned night jump as there was a carpet of snakes at night!
    LOL I have seen them. Thats because they are nocturnal, they hunt at night. Young Jack rabbits mice rats. Or get hunted. They aint all rattler though. Their are big King Snakes whose main prey item are ....the rattlers themselves.
    Me

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't believe the sheer number of them. Every few feet on the DZ there was a rabbity looking hole,and if you broke through the surface there would be a ball of snakes keeping warm by curling around each other. I was winding up my chute,walking backwards after one jump,and tripped over sitting down up to my chest in one of those pits! I swear I levitated out of it like a Saturn 5 rocket lifting off the launch pad!

Thread Information