• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyger Tyger Burning Bright.....

....in the forests of the night.
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry

William Blake.

and as if the Vietcong were not enough....

Find out the tragic story of Team Rock Mat, a US Marine Corps recon unit in Vietnam that had a strange encounter in the jungle one night in May 1970. Enjoy r...
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Re: Tyger Tyger Burning Bright.....

There is nothing so black as an Ulu night. The jungle floor a maze of fluorescence from rotting vegetation and hordes of glowing insects zig-zagging through the air; but you still can't see your hand in front of your face.

Comment

That,s wot appens when uz human aliens trespass into a wild animals domain, but in the human world especially in this toss pot country, if a burglar tresspasses inta our domain and we slot the fukker, we are the bad guys and the burglar the fukkin hero, i.e. Tony Martin!

Comment

Feck that !
        Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Imagine being in your fire trench or on an ambush somewhere and a big assed 600 pound Tiger with a head as big as a dustbin....yanks you out of it and trots off with you... Fookin' hell.
          Me

Comment

Bit like Terry Martin R.I.P. when we were in Belize. He was notorious for leaving bits of kit back in the billet when we went into the jungle,and on this occasion it was his hammock and poncho. He ended up kipping on the floor under someone else's basha,and in the middle of the night disappeared,screaming,into the darkness. The next morning we mounted a search,and after several hours of following his blundering path through the bush we emerged back where we'd left the vehicles,to find him cowering in the back of a land rover. Apparently he'd woken in the middle of the night to find something sitting on his chest,sniffing his face. From his description we reckoned it was probably a Quosh,a harmless squirrel/rabbit like creature that had stumbled on him and decided to see what he was,but of course nothing's harmless in the middle of a pitch black night on the floor in the jungle!
            (Terry was tragically killed a few years back when he stepped from his car on the hard shoulder of the M3 into the path of another vehicle.)

Comment

Remember some guy on an ambush in Malaya who was off stag and having his kip, started lashing around in his bivvi, holding his head and running round in circles, he did not make much noise because the ambush was still live, eventually three blokes had to tackle him and hold him down, kept pointing to his left ear. Could see the back end of a centipede wriggling round in his ear as if trying to burrow deeper. Medic tried to hook it out with a safety pin but it just caused it to go further in, took 4 to try to hold him down. Medic got some sort of oil from his pack and poured it in his ear, bit more wriggling from centipede then it stopped and came floating out arse first. Spent rest of mi tour deaf, I slept with cotton wool in mi ears. Apparently it happened quite often in jungle conditions FFS!

Comment

There was a millipede in Jamaica that was always climbing up the inside of the marquees we were living in. Didn't think anything of it till I woke in agony with a big burn down my face,where one had fallen on my pillow and I'd rolled on it. They oozed acid as a defence,burned like f.ck,and left a mark that took months to go!

Comment

Upcountry Malaya early 60s went down to fill water bottles for pln small stream looked across the other side feckin massive tiger prints ,still filling with water. no water til support wi loaded SLR s

Comment

Originally posted by jim scott View Post
                    Upcountry Malaya early 60s went down to fill water bottles for pln small stream looked across the other side feckin massive tiger prints ,still filling with water. no water til support wi loaded SLR s
                    I could not imagine bumping one. I would shit myself. I am dead wary of Mountain Lions out in the sticks. A Tiger would be a whole other realm.... or a Lion. Fook that noise.

John D sez when he was a kid in Malaya he used to lie in his bed and listen to them roar out in the bushes. I hope the ablutions was not outside....
                    Last edited by trubrit2411; 22 March 2020, 00:53.
                    Me

Comment

When on a night live firing exercise in Kenya,we had to post sentries at various points around the area to stop the locals wandering in. Suddenly there came a whispered message over the net,"There's a lion has arrived and is sat watching me from the other side of my small fire,what should I do?". He was told to sit tight while a vehicle was sent,but then asked "Shall I shoot it?". The thought of a lion,stung by his little 5.56mm popgun,and it's reaction,was too frightening to contemplate,so he was told in no circumstances to try that,unless the beast pounced. The vehicle then arrived,the lion disappearing,and one very frightened sentry went to change his kecks!

Comment

Again in Kenya, remember spewey Hewey Huntington, up in the Abadairs jumping off the back of a Landrover to take some photos of a Warthog. The Warthog apparently didn't like this and decided to charge, never seen a bloke dive back in a vehicle so quick in my life. The warthog hit the vehicle with a resounding thump, then moved off at the high port. Think there was a few of thinking pleased it wasn't me !
                        Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                          When on a night live firing exercise in Kenya,we had to post sentries at various points around the area to stop the locals wandering in. Suddenly there came a whispered message over the net,"There's a lion has arrived and is sat watching me from the other side of my small fire,what should I do?". He was told to sit tight while a vehicle was sent,but then asked "Shall I shoot it?". The thought of a lion,stung by his little 5.56mm popgun,and it's reaction,was too frightening to contemplate,so he was told in no circumstances to try that,unless the beast pounced. The vehicle then arrived,the lion disappearing,and one very frightened sentry went to change his kecks!
                          Pat... I wonder if the only thing giving that Lion pause for thought was that fire. He must have aged ten years. LOL
                          Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
                            I could not imagine bumping one. I would shit myself. I am dead wary of Mountain Lions out in the sticks. A Tiger would be a whole other realm.... or a Lion. Fook that noise.

John D sez when he was a kid in Malaya he used to lie in his bed and listen to them roar out in the bushes. I hope the ablutions was not outside....

Here's an example of how strong they are:

and a jaguar, didn't know they could dive too:

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
                            Again in Kenya, remember spewey Hewey Huntington, up in the Abadairs jumping off the back of a Landrover to take some photos of a Warthog. The Warthog apparently didn't like this and decided to charge, never seen a bloke dive back in a vehicle so quick in my life. The warthog hit the vehicle with a resounding thump, then moved off at the high port. Think there was a few of thinking pleased it wasn't me !
                            Bob, i will send you some pics from Kenya and Lybia. Pete Kershaw put some on fudbook. Why don't you rejoin it and limit yourself to the Sqn page?
                            "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Apparently Tone it just settled in on the other side of his little fire,rested it's chin on it's paws like a domestic cat,and watched him,just curious at what he was doing there. Which of course didn't make it any less frightening for him as he waited for the Land Rover to appear,with his puny SA80 pointed firmly at the lion! Deffo would've preferred a good old SLR in me paws at that point!

Comment

Working...
                              X