X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exits.....how not to

WTF ? (skip the first 32 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Q1o6HAg9A#t=0m32s
    Last edited by Don the Mod; 29 December 2019, 20:54.
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Re: Exits.....how not to

Tone the dispatchers (US) were not dispatching, they were just gathering strops and do not support the jumper at all. Not surprised that most of the exits were bordering on dangerous. That is the US airborne way of doing things. no criticism intended of our US airborne comrades but just 'collecting strops' means that as the guy approaches the door and has to turn to exit with heavy kit attached to his leg, a lot can go wrong. he can stumble, hesitate, trip, have a 'bottle' moment, overshoot the exit door. We (Brit) take up a position facing the stick and brace ourselves against the oncoming hordes of maniacs. We can control the strop and stop the exit if an arm is caught, we can prevent the jumper for falling or stumbling, we can help to turn him so that he is as square as possible to the door, and if he hesitates at the door we can assist him through the door giving a bit more force to his exit. Getting your body out forcefully and compact prevents a lot of shit happening. was talking with a senior US jumpmaster at Bragg and he said that they used to Brit method but he felt that 'political correctness' has crept in so that they should not be accused of 'forcing' a guy through the doors. Bollox I say! I must have dispatched thousands of lads from all units and I never heard one complaint, but I also never flew on one sortie when at least one bloke asked to be 'helped' as he got to the door. Rarely needed to

Comment

i enjoyed that post but some of those exits was indeed scary
      shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Wig.... I always thought our despatchers were brilliant and had absolute faith in everything once I got in the bird.... Nothing could happen to me. I was in the hands of the best Air Force in the world and the best despatchers and PJI's in the world. Thats what I thought. That's what was uppermost in my mind at all times.

Blind faith.....The only time I ever had a problem was when a lad in 320 stopped in the door on the night jump (5th) at Abingdon / Weston. I heaved him out and the despatcher heaved us both out. Clean fatigue of course. Sim sticks of two if I remember right I went down the slipstream in the shape of a X.

I had a BP and twists .... and was in doubt....so I got it out. That right there in that video the major problem.... Lack of drive I think. Plus a couple of them lads look dead windy. Like they don't even want to be there. LOL

Thank the lord for the PCAU blokes

"and brace ourselves against the oncoming hordes of maniacs"
        Last edited by trubrit2411; 29 December 2019, 20:15.
        Me

Comment

Originally posted by billy meikle View Post
          i enjoyed that post but some of those exits was indeed scary
          Maybe it was the 82'nds Gymnastic team Bill... LOL
          Me

Comment

The geezer who did the triple sumersault with pike wuz just showin off!

Comment

As Ron says they're not being dispatched, absolutely shocking drills compared to ours. All of those exists looked weak.
              "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Really pathetic exists.....thank goodness for our PJI's and our training
                Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

When we were in Bragg I was amazed at the antics of the Yanks,slapping backs,high fiveing each other,yehawing,and generally grandstanding all the way to the red on. Then things went downhill rapidly,and they were patently shitting themselves,as the train started pushing them down the plane. I was sure there would've been refusals if we hadn't been there shoving them forwards. Unlike here there seemed to be no penalty for a refusal,just shove him aside and send him back up at the nearest opportunity,only listed as doubtful and binned after 2 or 3 refusals!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                    When we were in Bragg I was amazed at the antics of the Yanks,slapping backs,high fiveing each other,yehawing,and generally grandstanding all the way to the red on. Then things went downhill rapidly,and they were patently shitting themselves,as the train started pushing them down the plane. I was sure there would've been refusals if we hadn't been there shoving them forwards. Unlike here there seemed to be no penalty for a refusal,just shove him aside and send him back up at the nearest opportunity,only listed as doubtful and binned after 2 or 3 refusals!
                    reminds me of when we got our Canadian wings. A couple of yanks on that course did lots of singing and shouting. Wanted to know how we psyched ourselves up to make the jump, without making a noise. Someone said, Well if we don't jump we get kicked out, that's all the psyching up we need.
                    I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

As for an helmet flying off, the PJI who checked the guy would have been put through the grill and moved on, unless there was a good explanation (shit kit)

Comment

Looked like it was yanked off by his static line,lucky it didn't pull his head off! Reminds me of the stretched Herc trials in El Centro Californ I A,when blokes after about 40 in the sim 45's were losing helmets,and getting busted noses due to the extra weight of the bags making them fly low enough to hit you in the gob. They cured it by flying a bit faster to make the bags fly higher,after complaints,but strangely the film from outside the doors stopped at number 38 or so!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                          My first experience of jumping with sceptics was at Abingdon. all i remember was all their squawking on the bus back from Weston when we were trying to get a kip. In 15Para we used to host them and do balloon jumps at Barry Budden, they were giving it all you describe, Pat and walking about with swaggers you could dry a washing on. They were very quiet in the cage though, then on the way down they were whoopin n' a' hollerin and launching their snoopy's with chutes. Naturally after the jump they reverted to type and started the swaggering and everything again.

I remember we would have been seriously bollocked if we shouted anything other than 'steer away' during the 'flight'.
                          "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Do some odd shit did we not! Beverly trials at Boscombe Down, blokes in white jackets wanted us to exit port, starboard and boom at the same time, we 'suggested' that they try it with dummies first, of course all three wrapped up and creamed in together, no 'triple' exits

Comment

Boom exit from owd Bev wuz a brill lob Ron.

Comment

Working...
                              X