Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: freedom of Paris

Originally posted by paradrummer View Post
    The man front rank left was Mick Edney , my section Lance jack he went on to succeed Drummy Langdon , think he did 30 years or some ridiculous sentence , went on to CSM , RSM 15 PARA and demobbed a captain I think.
    If Mick left with a captains pension I do not think he would regard it as a 'sentence', Is Drummy Langdon still around. I think that at one point Bn tried to understand what the drums could do on Ops as a unit, a number were sent on snipers courses at Warminster/Netheravon I think!

Comment

Talking about old films....

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
      Last edited by trubrit2411; 28 October 2019, 19:51.
      "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
      Me

Comment

Drums in 3 were employed at various times as MMG Pln,and Assault Pioneer Pln.

Comment

No unfortunately Drummy Langdon died a few years back . Yes some of ours were sent on snipers course but I think it was down on the Sussex coast ,shoreham ? . MICK is a brilliant bloke, and is now well into his eighties and doing ok , thank God

Comment

Re: freedom of Paris DRUMMY LANGDON

the big man and me in his garden in bodmin
            Attached Files

Comment

Something I found on the web a few weeks back 29356490_10155101296996193_1146148030495996416_n.jpg29386707_10155101296911193_55967727254756695_n.jpg29342905_10155101296826193_6111124206844269052_n.jpg28661296_347931625615514_7963091681505017752_n.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                Something I found on the web a few weeks back [ATTACH=CONFIG]11504[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11506[/ATTACH]
                That's bravery for you, the guy with the big drum at the front and one bloke on the extreme left of the photo are being attacked by f***in leopards and never break a stride.

Comment

Wonder what the Krauts thought of that ? Wonder if they are /were resentful or grateful given (not that far from places like Belsen) the Regime we put away and what we stopped in its tracks.
                  Me

Comment

Remember that well,and could recognise all the blokes in the pic,although can't name them all! We had a generally good relationship with the Germans,especially the older WW11 generation,and the band and drums used to be loaned out for various shows,like the Shutzenfest (Local shooting competition celebrations run all round the country)shown in the pic. One of our WO2s won it one year,and then realised his mistake,as he had to host the rest of the club to dinners and suchlike for the whole year following. As a German said "You only win the Fest once!" It was obvious he'd been allowed to win so they could all take advantage of his generosity,usually it's the local Baron who wins,because he can afford to!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                      Remember that well,and could recognise all the blokes in the pic,although can't name them all! We had a generally good relationship with the Germans,especially the older WW11 generation,and the band and drums used to be loaned out for various shows,like the Shutzenfest (Local shooting competition celebrations run all round the country)shown in the pic. One of our WO2s won it one year,and then realised his mistake,as he had to host the rest of the club to dinners and suchlike for the whole year following. As a German said "You only win the Fest once!" It was obvious he'd been allowed to win so they could all take advantage of his generosity,usually it's the local Baron who wins,because he can afford to!
                      Pat, i think Schützenfest, must be an interpretation, Schützen means to protect, shooting would be schiessen. Presumably it's derived from shooting to protect?
                      "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Biggest mistake I made with shooting,on being shown a deer hanging in the cellar of the hotel we used for skiing in Bavaria,was asking the proud owner Herr Pinn "Du sheissen?"(You shit,instead of you shoot?). Every town and village over there had a Shutzenklub,holding yearly competitions in shooting,ending in the Shutzenfest celebrations,where they all get done up in the lederhosen and Tyrolian hats,marching through the streets with mostly old blunderbusses and the like. Although I was a fairly fluent boxhead speaker it never occurred to me to question the word,just assumed it was a colloqialism for shoot.
                        Herr Pinn by the way must've been in the QM's in the Wermacht,as all the crockery in The Klausenmuller hotel had the waffenampt eagle mark on the base,and the sheets and pillowcases etc were similarly marked. The deer had been taken out with his old Mauser K98 rifle,and he had his full uniform in the cellar as well. Tommy told me the hotel is now gone,with a massive car park in it's place.

Comment

It should have been gone in WW2 along with the rest of Germany.
                          It's not the dog in the fight,it's the fight in the dog that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                            Biggest mistake I made with shooting,on being shown a deer hanging in the cellar of the hotel we used for skiing in Bavaria,was asking the proud owner Herr Pinn "Du sheissen?"(You shit,instead of you shoot?). Every town and village over there had a Shutzenklub,holding yearly competitions in shooting,ending in the Shutzenfest celebrations,where they all get done up in the lederhosen and Tyrolian hats,marching through the streets with mostly old blunderbusses and the like. Although I was a fairly fluent boxhead speaker it never occurred to me to question the word,just assumed it was a colloqialism for shoot.
                            Herr Pinn by the way must've been in the QM's in the Wermacht,as all the crockery in The Klausenmuller hotel had the waffenampt eagle mark on the base,and the sheets and pillowcases etc were similarly marked. The deer had been taken out with his old Mauser K98 rifle,and he had his full uniform in the cellar as well. Tommy told me the hotel is now gone,with a massive car park in it's place.
                            My mate was going on about a German player his club (Celtic) signed, Scheidt, he wasn't impressed when i told him the 'd' was silent.
                            "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Like a lad in 3,Australian,who went by the moniker 'Croc' and wasn't amused when I pointed out the R was silent!

Comment

Originally posted by RAB View Post
                                It should have been gone in WW2 along with the rest of Germany.
                                I agree with that Rab. Given what they did to civvies and the kids of Europe alone.... it should have ceased to exist. Been absorbed by the surrounding States. I knew and owd German submariner.... and it was him gave me the idea. Sez he was a POW in a camp in Canada when the showed them the film of the camps. It did him in. He never went back. Walked off into Canada from the docks.

(If he was telling the truth. He could have been the bloke dropped the Zyklon B for all I knew).
                                Last edited by trubrit2411; 5 November 2019, 11:46.
                                Me

Comment

Working...
                                X