freedom of Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freedom of Paris

along the bottom road that went up to garrison church ,cant remember the name, I was demobed by then my old position was second from the right, sorry about the completely wrong title .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by paradrummer2; 25 October 2019, 18:29.

Re: freedom of Paris

Nice pic Richard.

Comment

Days of Glory. When we had three bands............ with no fat wimmin.
      "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
      Me

Comment

Dummy Langdon I think, smart bloke, wimmin used to fancy him a bit

Comment

Good pic
          Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
            Dummy Langdon I think, smart bloke, wimmin used to fancy him a bit

He probably wouldn't thank you for calling him 'Dummy' though,in fact he might throw the dummy out of his pram!

Comment

The man front rank left was Mick Edney , my section Lance jack he went on to succeed Drummy Langdon , think he did 30 years or some ridiculous sentence , went on to CSM , RSM 15 PARA and demobbed a captain I think.
              Last edited by paradrummer2; 26 October 2019, 18:10.

Comment

great photos i love em. i have a freedom of paris one somewhere i will sus it out and post it.
                shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Time for Steve to post his freedom from Colly snaps on here eh ?
                  Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

This one Billy?

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

What year was the Don. Looks like Ammo boots and .303's.
                      "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                      Me

Comment

When i posted it before i sent it to PARADATA, this was the response:

Morning Don,

Thanks for the image. I've been doing some research (hence the late reply) and have found the photo was taken on the 25th August 1954. The band of 1 Para was summoned to France to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the Liberation of Paris.

In regards to the sash they cost about £500 so there was a delay in changing them due to finances. This information was found in the October 1954 edition of the Pegasus Journal.

There is no mention of the Bandmasters name and we don't hold it on record here so I'm sorry I couldn't be of help in that regard.

I hope this helps in some way.

Kind regards,

Sam Stead

Result mate.
                        Last edited by Don the Mod; 27 October 2019, 14:26.

Comment

The Shot 1986 ABF day
                          Attached Files

Comment

And Richard (paraD), posted this about the film that was put up:

Thanks all I have seen it I was hidden in the middle somewhere , the Shiny 1 really came through on that parade if you look you'll notice we are the only ones doing stick drill. Know loads of blokes in there, keep stopping it to try to see more but a bit difficult, the ones I can name are Cpl. Davison (leading tipper), l/cpl. Joe Tamplin, Sadie Scripps RIP ,Cpl Barry Luffman RIP, tenor Drummer Taff. Parfit , (a N/S man soon to be demobbed) and last but not least the Same Drummy Langdon , who was on the liberation of Paris parade ( not the Freedom of as wrongly said earlier ) as to the cost of all the regalia I can remember being told that Sgt . Pegasus coat cost £70.

Richard, you said you said it was a bit difficult stopping the film.

Click on the link, when it opens, double click on the film, it will go to full screen, but it may look better when small. To stop the film, press the spacebar on the keyboard and press again to restart it.

Comment

Originally posted by billy meikle View Post
                              great photos i love em. i have a freedom of paris one somewhere i will sus it out and post it.
                              I've got
                              it somewhere too , I thought that's what I'd clicked
                              SAM, at paradata means the band AND drums and the " bandmaster " was of course Drum major Langdon . the drums pltn hadn't been formed that long , and Don Langdon who was in a rifle coy. Was made to volunteer for drum major. The leading tipper behind drummys right hand was Sgt Le houqeut ,a channel islander , he was the bloke with all the gen about ,drums and drumming , I was told he served in the Canadian airborne in the war , Drummy was a wartime bloke too, he did his training at Hardwick Hall ( a lot tougher than maida I was told.
                              Last edited by paradrummer2; 27 October 2019, 19:58.

Comment

Working...
                              X