Somerby , nr Melton mowbray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somerby , nr Melton mowbray

IMG_20190908_122240.jpgIMG_20190908_122240.jpgwent to somerby today where the 10 bn. Were billeted prior to taking off for Arnhem , organised by Leicester PRA it was quite a big do , service in the village church ,then parade up the high ,as you can see pony major was in attendance .

Re: Somerby , nr Melton mowbray

Not surprised that house in the background is for sale, looks as though every lorry in the UK has hit it at some point FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
      Not surprised that house in the background is for sale, looks as though every lorry in the UK has hit it at some point FFS!
      No the one for sale was ok , it was nx door where the the stone looks likes its badly weathered , bit like me !

Comment

Pony Major is looking very smart these days PD.
        As for the Sandstone.... house its easily repaired if you can get hold of a few owd gravestones. I used to buy them for ten bob apiece and cut them up on a big old saw. 8 feet high some of them. Four foot wide.They came in all varieties. Lovely.... up to two hundred year old stone. Forest of Dean....York.... Cotswold. Primo stuff. I tried flogging it without cutting the writing off but people freaked out about having gravestones in their front room. Except one weirdo. He had me put the writing out on view. If I lived in that village I would do it for therapy. (If it don't go too far)
        Last edited by trubrit2411; 19 September 2019, 16:24.
        "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
        Me

Comment

Once bimblin around wi mi hurdy gurdy in woodland Tone under all the undergrowth I came across the remains of a Jacobean hall that wuz demolished in 1929 ta mek way fer a dam built that year further down the valley. Beautytash stone and lovely stone roof n ridge tiles, tiles az big az fukkin gravestones, lubbly jubbly. So med several trips in me jam jar n put az many az I cud in the boot n stored em back at the gaff, even fooked the rear springs up. Med a stone patio n the rest I advertised in the gardening section of the local freeads. Fukkin ell! demand wuz unbelievable n sold quite a few loads 50 squids a time. Even gorra an order from a local builder fer stone roofin n ridge tiles, so plenty moor diggin n a musta med mesen over a grand in total. Like thi say, "Weerz thiz muck, thiz money!"

Comment

Another thing I used Dave was the stone steps from off the old Victorian tenement slums they were demolishing in Wednesbury and West Brom. Cracking stuff. Cut like butter and dressed up a treat. Pale cream....tan... all the way to blood red. They were crushing them up for hardcore for under foundations and roads. Soon as the people moved out and the notices were posted I used to call the Demo bloke and ask if I could have them. "Tek as many as yow want owd pal. Tek um all".
            I was in like a gannet.
            Last edited by trubrit2411; 21 September 2019, 12:42.
            Me

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
              Once bimblin around wi mi hurdy gurdy in woodland Tone under all the undergrowth I came across the remains of a Jacobean hall that wuz demolished in 1929 ta mek way fer a dam built that year further down the valley. Beautytash stone and lovely stone roof n ridge tiles, tiles az big az fukkin gravestones, lubbly jubbly. So med several trips in me jam jar n put az many az I cud in the boot n stored em back at the gaff, even fooked the rear springs up. Med a stone patio n the rest I advertised in the gardening section of the local freeads. Fukkin ell! demand wuz unbelievable n sold quite a few loads 50 squids a time. Even gorra an order from a local builder fer stone roofin n ridge tiles, so plenty moor diggin n a musta med mesen over a grand in total. Like thi say, "Weerz thiz muck, thiz money!"
              I would have done a deal with an artic driver I think..... for them table sized stone tiles. I was driving through Fairbourne near the Welsh Coast when I saw all this Welsh slate hanging out this road cutting. I thought "Allo...whats this then". It was beautiful coloured stuff. I was paying three quid a sq yard for it then.

I drove up a farmers drive/road and was met by a kid about eight..... driving a Landrover. (straight up) He took me to his dad. I asked him how much he would bang me for slate. He said three quid. I said I am already paying that in the Midlands. So he said "Well I don't know how they do it then" ? He said "How big is the truck they deliver it with". Then I realised he meant three quid for a truckful. I said how big a truck can I bring. He said. How big can you get ? Missus was pissed. That was the end of the holiday right there lol. Me mate let me put it on his smallholding and I was set for hearths and cladding from then on. I could not give him the money fast enough.
              Me

Comment

Just shows thee Tone, just ow much o this brilliant stuff is still lying around, left under the undergrowth, unloved but deffo in great demand from geezers in the know. The number of big fukk off Georgian mansions that av bin demolished in this country since WW11 is unbelievable, I once gorra book outa the library about the subject, title summat like, "The Lost Houses Of Great Britain", fully illustrated wi description o the gaff n pics o the many staff that worked theer. Musta bin over a hundred "Downton Abbey,s" no longer around, all that history completely fukked off! The number o abandoned stone water troughs I,ve come across when hurdy gurdyin is unbelievable, just too fukkin heavy ta dig out n purrin mi jam jar. Allus think ta mesen, "Wonder ow much it wud it cost ta av such quality med by a stonemason these days," shudder ta think! Thi deffo don,t build em like thi used to!

Comment

Used to come on leave and work with a local demolition firm for a bit of extras, lot of cotton factories being demolished about then (sadly), the floors were al monster York stone flags (how the f**k they put them down is a mystery, they were 6' by 6' and weighed a tonne. old Fred Dibnah used to drop the chimneys in his own way. Lot of miners terraced houses had York stone flags along the streets, they used to disappear by the lorry-load every night when the buildings were being demolished, cannot buy the stuff now, some crap from India which goes flaky after about 2 years.

Comment

That stuff from India is USELESS.... It will get you in a lot of trouble. I have seen some right 'ol Barneys over here because of that shit failing real quick.....
                    Me

Comment

Duz tha think wiv med progress over the centuries Tone? Tek the quality o build from yesteryear compared ta the shite bein purrup these days. Even in the 70s a worked on a site weer new builds wo guin up n we ad the contract fer built up felt roofin on garages n door canopies. Spec wuz dry bond roofin:- chip boord wi a coo-at o felt stuck on, like fukkin Weetabix wi a coo-at o chocolate applied n just one layer o felt that wuz our job, green mineral drips n skirtings stuck wi boiling bitumen. Joiner who put the dry bond deckin down dint even av a saw ta mek the offcuts. Iz chosen tool? a fukkin ball ammer which eee twatted the edges wi ta size, like chippin away at breakfast cereal n the kunt wuz mekkin a fukkin fortune on price work. Coorse when we,d covered all the sins wi our neat finish job it looked beautytash but worra bag o shite!

Comment

Working...
                      X