Boy Soldier...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Soldier...

...think i was too stupid to go to war at 15.

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Re: Boy Soldier...

Fifteen that’s no age R.IP. sapper

Comment

RIP Charles, read a book on boy soldiers in WW1, if you ever see it about get it and read it. It's an eye opener and a damnation on British Army recruiting teams of that era ! And the government of the time doesn't come out smelling of roses either !
      Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

I believe the youngest was 12,eventually sent home after 2 years in the trenches,and still only 14!

Comment

15 and on the Western Front. Bloody hell. I would like to think the Snr NCO's looked after him. Until he got his Pine Cromby anyway. Wonder if there are any pictures of him ?
          "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
          Me

Comment

I suppose the propaganda made it seem like a big adventure. Must have come as a big shock to find the reality.
            I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Bit like that for me,when I stepped off the train at "Aldershot,this is Aldershot",into the welcoming arms of Corporal Steve Brabham!

Comment

Pat,hope you didn't have your grey flannel shorts on and a luggage label pinned on your coat with your name and address on it !
                Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Not quite Bob,but a lad who'd come up on the train with me from Bournemouth might as well have!He was found under his bed the next morning when we paraded,crying for his mum.F.ck knows what he thought he was getting into,or what they told him at the recruiting office!On the first train home!

Comment

Probably you Pat. You scared him to death....
                    Me

Comment

Interesting, the 1 & 5 were put in afterwards. They must have found out his real age on his death.

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
                        15 and on the Western Front. Bloody hell. I would like to think the Snr NCO's looked after him. Until he got his Pine Cromby anyway. Wonder if there are any pictures of him ?
                        There were hundreds if not thousands of under age lads tone. Mi grandad says that if any of the sweats discovered that they had an underage lad drafted in to their unit they would report it to their OC's and get them sent back home, not always appreciated by the young kid apparently, but as the war wore on the horror was something the old sweats did not want to put children through

Comment

See the last post on this forum....he may have died of an illness which is why he is buried in Colly not France.

Looking Help I am researching 5189 Sapper Charles Gavan Royal Engineers, date of death 20/4/1916 age 15 Colchester Cemetery. Charles lived in Poyntzpass Co Armagh with his parents John & Christina Gavan he enlisted in Glasgow, what was he doing in Glasgow at that age? there was an elder broth...
                          Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
                            See the last post on this forum....he may have died of an illness which is why he is buried in Colly not France.

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...ass-co-armagh/
                            Was surveying a massive WW1 hospital called Caderstones in Lancashire, it had been transferred to the NHS and is now a much reduced secure mental health hospital, so big originally that they had a railway track running through the hospital to bring in the wounded, at least 4 trainloads a day at its height apparently. Was wandering round (surveying they call it) and came across a military cemetery near to the hospital. Lads buried there from all over the world and many from the UK. Overgrown and vandalised it brought a lump to the throat to think that they could be forgotten like that. Got on to local council, who promised to clean the place up, not sure why CWGC did not look after it. Went back a year later and it had started to look neglected again. This thread has prompted me to go over and take another look soon. Intend to go to mi pit plaque again this Remembrance Sunday and see if I can generate more interest. RIP all of you lads

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
                              Was surveying a massive WW1 hospital called Caderstones in Lancashire, it had been transferred to the NHS and is now a much reduced secure mental health hospital, so big originally that they had a railway track running through the hospital to bring in the wounded, at least 4 trainloads a day at its height apparently. Was wandering round (surveying they call it) and came across a military cemetery near to the hospital. Lads buried there from all over the world and many from the UK. Overgrown and vandalised it brought a lump to the throat to think that they could be forgotten like that. Got on to local council, who promised to clean the place up, not sure why CWGC did not look after it. Went back a year later and it had started to look neglected again. This thread has prompted me to go over and take another look soon. Intend to go to mi pit plaque again this Remembrance Sunday and see if I can generate more interest. RIP all of you lads
                              Ron, as it's the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1, it may be worth a call to the press, that could generate some interest. Much as I hate to say it, it could be something that vile rag The Sun could take up?
                              "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Working...
                              X