Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rhodesian Bush War

Originally posted by KevinMoran View Post
    That war only ended in 2005 - 30 years, a lot of the folks I work with were in the military and everyone knows the story of the British Mercenaries coming over to help kick it off !! I try to make sure they know I was only 12 or 13 in 72/72 but I still get funny looks when they see my tattoos - should be OK just got to remember not to mention the war when I get drunk !! I once met one of the guys that came over here but managed to get away on a train from London to Newcastle - he was serving in the bar carriage - I think a Brummy - I checked him out with some folks that know and he was genuine... Who woulda thought I would end up here all those years later.....
    Fookin 'ell Kev....Maybe you should start wearing long sleeved tee shirts.
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

I seem to remember (well nowt at my age but....) we had a 2 i/c in 1 Para named Maj Dudley Coventry, looked as though he could be a handful in a scuffle, which was rare for an orcifer, big fit guy, think he had been a ranker in WW2. He left 1 Para to form the Rhodesian SAS and he did a bit of 'pre selection' around 1 Para before he left, was looking for Sgts, Cpls and grunts, not sure how many, if any went to help him form the unit. I understand that for the first 5 years under his direction it was an excellent unit and many equated it ti 22 in terms of training. I think that by about 68 he left, and it apparently went downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
        I seem to remember (well nowt at my age but....) we had a 2 i/c in 1 Para named Maj Dudley Coventry, looked as though he could be a handful in a scuffle, which was rare for an orcifer, big fit guy...
        We had an officer who was a big lump of a lad, Capt Jim Snape, (your troopy Steve?). The Sqn were in Cyprus when I came back from my diving course. On the course piss up I got a bit tipsy, long story short, I picked up a few misdemeanours. As i was RTU the next day, the 2i/c of the diving school (my former troopy) said i'd let myself down him down...etc etc. He said he'd send a report to the Sqn. Back in the shot I was relating the tale to JS who was pissing himself and fukked me off with an extra. The Sqn clerk, Bob McC wrote it off.
        "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

major Dudley Coventry a bucket of balls and bolts, a true warrior Major Coventry.jpg
          shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Rhodesia as it will always be called to me, has its corrupt elections taking place today. That will be an interesting thing. Last time they had them the British Police had to go and defend each polling station from "anti tampering" officials or riggers for short, messing with the ballot papers or threatening the people, this aint going to be a fair election at all! Mugabe will probably get back in lol

Comment

Originally posted by Don the Mod View Post
              We had an officer who was a big lump of a lad, Capt Jim Snape, (your troopy Steve?). The Sqn were in Cyprus when I came back from my diving course. On the course piss up I got a bit tipsy, long story short, I picked up a few misdemeanours. As i was RTU the next day, the 2i/c of the diving school (my former troopy) said i'd let myself down him down...etc etc. He said he'd send a report to the Sqn. Back in the shot I was relating the tale to JS who was pissing himself and fukked me off with an extra. The Sqn clerk, Bob McC wrote it off.
              he was a good lad, Don. Although he wasn't as easy going when we let him down slightly at the Royal Rugby Club in Honkers, thought he was going to have a heart attack.
              I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Come on Steve,how slight was the let down?A story that needs to be told methinks!

Comment

Yes lets have it. No matter how damning
                  "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                  Me

Comment

Knowing our lot Tone, the poor bastard would have been dropped from a great height !
                    Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
                      he was a good lad, Don. Although he wasn't as easy going when we let him down slightly at the Royal Rugby Club in Honkers, thought he was going to have a heart attack.
                      I seem to recall an invite to the club being withdrawn, wasn't there also an incident at the RHK Golf club too?
                      "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Originally posted by billy meikle View Post
                        major Dudley Coventry a bucket of balls and bolts, a true warrior [ATTACH=CONFIG]10509[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks Billy, that's the man, its how I remember him, he was the scourge of young 2 /Lts direct from Sandhurst, he would 'advise' them to initially 'shut up and follow your platoon Sgt, do not have a batman (they could in those days) but clean you own kit. Many of the Sandhurst arrivals had had their hair combed by mummy, or nanny, had their arses wiped (or felt) at school, were coddled at university, and found themselves commanding parachute troops with NCO's who had invariably done the WW2 stuff. great man Maj Dudley Coventry. wonder if he is still around?

Comment

He was playing rugby 7's and he got us (1 troop) an invite. Free booze and food. Begged us not to let him down, but, free booze, it was asking for trouble. We drank them dry after about an hour and then the trouble started. There was an upstairs area with a balcony and a pool below. I recall a lot of food and lads ended up going over the balcony, including a large table centrepiece carved from ice, think it was an eagle. Also some blokes unfortunately got caught a bit short and had to shit in the pool. A lot of bottles of spirits were nicked. There was a bit of fisticuffs when a load of security guys ran us out, blokes were limping down the road with bottles down their pants. I had the Royal Honkers Rugby club flag wrapped around my leg under my pants. It was a bit embarrassing cause land rovers of armed police suddenly surrounded us, shoved us against a wall and searched us. When one noticed something bulky down my leg and told me to drop my pants, I had to say 'how the fxck did that get there?" Anyway as you can imagine there was one of the biggest bollockings of all time, lots of guard duties and threats of what would happen once we got back to the Shot. All seemed to get forgotten about though, think he realised he'd made a slight error inviting lads to free booze and he'd made a lot of unnecessary fuss over a minor incident.
                          Last edited by stephenfrank; 31 July 2018, 03:47.
                          I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Sounds like a standard free booze mistake on their part,with none of you to blame in any way at all!Reminds me of most of my faux pas moments,brought on by enforced drinking of the gratis variety,which always resulted in 'erratic' behaviour!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                              Sounds like a standard free booze mistake on their part,with none of you to blame in any way at all!Reminds me of most of my faux pas moments,brought on by enforced drinking of the gratis variety,which always resulted in 'erratic' behaviour!
                              Knew you would understand, Pat. I can't understand why it isn't part of the course at Sandhurst. "Never mention free booze"

Comment

Gil, question, was there anybody else involved in the Post office Job !!.

Comment

Working...
                                X