Rhodesian Bush War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rhodesian Bush War

There is a good book called "In Search Of Enemies" by a geezer called John Stockdale that details the CIA involvement in that lot. It is very interesting reading. He devotes a whole chapter to Costa G and the blokes that went there.
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

This Yank bird was there as a reporter (then) named Robin B Wright. Went on to be a well known author. Clock this for an idiot piece. She thought they were civvies. LOL She thought they were just bricklayers who volunteered for a war with no experience. . She based the whole thing on her visit of the last four days and the withdrawal across the river. She had no story so she made one up. What a bluffing tosser. If I remember right she owes her life to one of the blokes that chucked her on the boat. Read that somewhere else. Fook journalists....

www.mercenary-wars.net/angola/robin-wright.html
      Last edited by trubrit2411; 2 August 2018, 02:09.
      Me

Comment

Would love to be at a "proper" CIA briefing at the farm before they get deployed to hear exactly what it is they seek to achieve from an end game. My ten P's worth is, everytime their names come up in small wars where they have supplied masses of weapons, they always seem to wash their hands of it all when it goes tits up or am I alone?
        How for instance did they get hold of Banks number in those days no emails, to get him to get a load of Brits to run as mercenaries, or was he already established on the international market as a supplier of men??

Comment

Never felt inclined to go on any of those jaunts. Met a number of characters in and around the Shot who were recruiting 'for work overseas' over the years, all seemed a bit Walter and talked out of the side of their gob and were constantly clocking who was in the pub or wherever. Brummy B went for it for a quick in and out and the money, as most did. On the other side many African countries were getting pissed off with being used as a shooting gallery, so sadly they made an example of these lads. Whenever the shit hits the fan you can guarantee that CIA, and the MI's will disown the job completely. Stay home and tend mi garden.

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
            Never felt inclined to go on any of those jaunts. Met a number of characters in and around the Shot who were recruiting 'for work overseas' over the years, all seemed a bit Walter and talked out of the side of their gob and were constantly clocking who was in the pub or wherever. Brummy B went for it for a quick in and out and the money, as most did. On the other side many African countries were getting pissed off with being used as a shooting gallery, so sadly they made an example of these lads. Whenever the shit hits the fan you can guarantee that CIA, and the MI's will disown the job completely. Stay home and tend mi garden.
            I was inclined. Yes like you say for a quick in and out and the money.We heard big money for back then....I had just bought a house and thought to meself one year of that and I could pay it off. But by the time we got the sig it had already gone pearshaped. Thank fook. If me and the Hartlepool Wanderer had have got that info early enough I think we could well have been there. Like me cousin said who went down the shot with us...."you are making ok dosh on the scaffold and no kunt is shooting at yer". 25 years old and dumb as a rock.
            Me

Comment

Originally posted by Gil2 View Post
              Would love to be at a "proper" CIA briefing at the farm before they get deployed to hear exactly what it is they seek to achieve from an end game. My ten P's worth is, everytime their names come up in small wars where they have supplied masses of weapons, they always seem to wash their hands of it all when it goes tits up or am I alone?
              How for instance did they get hold of Banks number in those days no emails, to get him to get a load of Brits to run as mercenaries, or was he already established on the international market as a supplier of men??
              British Govt knew even though they denied it. Some of those blokes got through Heathrow without even a passport. In fact they were never checked through the passport area. They went out a side door and walked to the plane parked off to one side. So somebody gave the Ok.

If you read that book "In search of Enemies" he blows the whole underhanded, behind closed doors, gaff on the CIA. They backpeddled out of that and left them in there. No resupply. No casevac. No weapons.All of which had been promised. Costa was so hard up for weapons and ammo he crossed the river, contacted a friendly Zairean patrol and nicked all their weapons and uniforms according to one report. They were abandoned after reports of them slotting Blacks and killing their own,after performing like movie stars in their initial engagements with the other side. Costa cultimately came across as an out of control siko. So the CIA literally did a runner.

For them it was all about countering Soviet influence via the MPLA.
              Last edited by trubrit2411; 3 August 2018, 13:43.
              Me

Comment

See the South African Gov /terrorists are starting to remove white farmers from their property,surprise ,surprise,it will turn out the sort o' shithole as Rhodesia,it is time for the UK Gov???? to withdraw all financial support to all of these vermin

Comment

Always the same mate, Colonialism gave them the know how and the tools to make the Country great, but as soon as they have their independence. It goes to rat shit, the reason they can't seem to get their heads round the fact that tribal infighting doesn't work !
                  Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

or.................can't keep their hands off the countries wealth, I'm afraid they will always be corrupt in my eyes. All this talk of worshipping God on one hand and then robbing the people in the other.
                    Zimbabwe slides down a slippery slope yet again!!

Comment

A Cpls story tales from Rhodesia

Comment

Thats me telly for tonight Jack.....
                        Me

Comment

Originally posted by Gil View Post
                          Don,
                          It was late 73 because he did a year in the pokey for robbing Bangor Post Office on the 18/2/72 with a 9mm in full kit. It was a five year sentence but he got out. I can't remember the exact details of where he did his custodial sentence, but it could have been Colly MCTC, and that would explain why a year later he was in Angola, good behaviour and all that!!!
                          He was executed on the 10/7/76. So the timeline is roughly about right, he certainly didn't do 5 years!!
                          Gil, he was in Coldingly Prison mate, my stepfather was a prison officer there at the time, reckons he was a model prisoner. Very respectful and never gave anybody any bother.,Reference the Rhodesian affair, the Brigade was on standby for that but it never came to anything !
                          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

he was champion recruit in depot, fit as a butchers dog, CO's driver body guard and a friend of mine.
                            shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Working...
                            X