Rhodesian Bush War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhodesian Bush War

Fastest gun in the West....or the bush. Not a place for a stoppage.

Nick Downie's award winning combat footage from the 1970's Rhodesian Bush War during UDI.Sad to report Nick Downie died of Covid-19 on May 12, 2021, aged 74....
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Re: Rhodesian Bush War

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
    Fastest gun in the West....or the bush. Not a place for a stoppage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPLFp9-zupc

They trawled the Battalion in 73 asking for volunteers to join the Rhodesian SAS. Nearly went as the DC3 appealed, but a couple of the lads from B Company did go, but were soon back rejoining 2 PARA. Wasn't everything they made it out to be, although the money was a good rate of pay I understand

Comment

Think the full doc was shown on TV in a This Week programme.
      "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Its fashionable to call us Colonial arseholes but I often wonder what kind of progress would have been made in Sub Saharan Africa if the White man had never set foot ashore there. Just exactly what level would they be at ? If David Livingstone et al had carried on past and gone to Oz ? You think they would have had the wheel by now? I am talking about if NOBODY went there. Not even the Arab slavers. Me meself I think there would not be even 1 sq metre of ashphalt or one brick. Nothing. Just loin cloths spears and tribes killing each other off. Like Francis Fairweather found when he bumped into Shaka. Would they be better off ? Maybe.... Probably even. They would be devoid of the stress and grind and overcrowding of Modern living. Bimbling round in the sun all year round. BBQing antelopes....
        Last edited by trubrit2411; 26 July 2018, 15:42.
        Me

Comment

Originally posted by Gil2 View Post
          They trawled the Battalion in 73 asking for volunteers to join the Rhodesian SAS. Nearly went as the DC3 appealed, but a couple of the lads from B Company did go, but were soon back rejoining 2 PARA. Wasn't everything they made it out to be, although the money was a good rate of pay I understand
          Were those lads up for discharge Gil ? Or did they do a runner ?
          Me

Comment

An ex 3 Para lad who used to train at the gym went over to serve wi that lot but dint stay long.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
              An ex 3 Para lad who used to train at the gym went over to serve wi that lot but dint stay long.
              I bet the writing was on the wall Dave. Especially with those twats in Westminster refusing to back the Ian Smith and the white farmers. Now look what a shambles it is.
              Me

Comment

I know one lad who I won't mention on here, did go AWOL, did his time on return and straight back into B Company. That was the way to do it. Go on a shooting holiday for a month or two then come back and give yourself up, if you don't like it

Comment

Shortly after demob in 1973, And being well and truly pissed off with being bored shitless in the MOD Plod, I contemplated joining the South African Army. But she who must be obeyed took a firm stand and told me to forget it . Pleased she did really, you imagine everything is going to be great, The grass appears to be greener in the other field and all that, but it's not really as I'm sure most of us at some stage have found out.
                  Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Always said if I was tempted to do anything daft like that after getting out,I would dig a hole in the back garden,put the lawn sprinkler on next to it,grab a stick,and stag on for a few hours of darkness.If that didn't put me off,and bring me back to my senses,nothing would!Never had to get the shovel out yet!

Comment

Not wishing to go off the thread, but it was about the same time Costas Georgius was looking for lads to serve with him in Angola...............another temptation I never fell into to, thank F***

Comment

Gil, that was about 75/76.
                        "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

That was the trial Don..... but the recruiting was done earlier. Me and 3 Para Geordie Stan Richards went down and investigated that. He came looking for me up in the Black Country when he was on the lam from the shot, for trying to stuff a Craphat Cook's head under a bus wheel on Queens Ave, as you do....and not long back from Malta. So Gil may be right. John Banks was the bloke casting about if I remember right.
                          Last edited by trubrit2411; 27 July 2018, 01:21.
                          Me

Comment

Don,
                            It was late 73 because he did a year in the pokey for robbing Bangor Post Office on the 18/2/72 with a 9mm in full kit. It was a five year sentence but he got out. I can't remember the exact details of where he did his custodial sentence, but it could have been Colly MCTC, and that would explain why a year later he was in Angola, good behaviour and all that!!!
                            He was executed on the 10/7/76. So the timeline is roughly about right, he certainly didn't do 5 years!!

Comment

That war only ended in 2005 - 30 years, a lot of the folks I work with were in the military and everyone knows the story of the British Mercenaries coming over to help kick it off !! I try to make sure they know I was only 12 or 13 in 72/72 but I still get funny looks when they see my tattoos - should be OK just got to remember not to mention the war when I get drunk !! I once met one of the guys that came over here but managed to get away on a train from London to Newcastle - he was serving in the bar carriage - I think a Brummy - I checked him out with some folks that know and he was genuine... Who woulda thought I would end up here all those years later.....
                              I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

Working...
                              X