Tree-work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree-work

I did a little tree job this week for a civvy mate of an Airborne mate. Removed a branch from a big Sycamore because it was interfering with his telly reception. 35 feet up a big Sycamore, with a chainsaw in my hands and happy as Larry. Not a care in the World and on checking later, my BP was fine. Not too bad for a 73 year old.

P1020242.JPG

Re: Tree-work

Take note Steve F

Comment

Not me...Not my blood. Fook being up a big 'ol tree with one of them Tony Montana saws......
      "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
      Me

Comment

Very reminiscent of my own tree felling work, ChrisIMG_0084.JPG.
        I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Good one Treeman
          Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

Still gorrit Chris!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
              Still gorrit Chris!
              Penicillin should shift it
              HURRY UP AND WAIT

Comment

Well done Chris, there are some twenty three year olds couldn't manage that mate, looking at Steve's photo you might like to give him a few tips as to where he's going wrong. Like going up there in the first place !
                Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
                  Well done Chris, there are some twenty three year olds couldn't manage that mate, looking at Steve's photo you might like to give him a few tips as to where he's going wrong. Like going up there in the first place !
                  didn't even go up there, bob. Tried the old trick of throwing a rope over a branch i wanted rid of, and pulling down with all my might. Trouble was, most of the tree came down on top of me. Even worse, I'd just told the missus to grab the camera and watch the maestro do his work. She's never let me forget it.
                  I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
                    Very reminiscent of my own tree felling work, Chris[ATTACH=CONFIG]10431[/ATTACH].
                    I think you misunderstood the concept Steve, it's the TREE you should fell mate.
                    "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Originally posted by treeman View Post
                      I did a little tree job this week for a civvy mate of an Airborne mate. Removed a branch from a big Sycamore because it was interfering with his telly reception. 35 feet up a big Sycamore, with a chainsaw in my hands and happy as Larry. Not a care in the World and on checking later, my BP was fine. Not too bad for a 73 year old.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10430[/ATTACH]

Well done Treeman. don't climb anymore, but still building dykes / walls n felling hardwoods,softwoods. just got a job felling about 200 fairly large Sitka spruce,for a local land owner,no bad fur 79,lol

Comment

Originally posted by jim scott View Post
                        Well done Treeman. don't climb anymore, but still building dykes / walls n felling hardwoods,softwoods. just got a job felling about 200 fairly large Sitka spruce,for a local land owner,no bad fur 79,lol
                        Good luck with that Jim. Bloody Sitka; horrible things to work with. If you want a hand, I'll come and brew the tea for you and watch your back for snipers.
                        Last edited by treeman; 28 April 2018, 23:40.

Comment

Wish you lived near me got a lot burner, and my supplier used to sell me metre + length all of a sudden he is playing hard to get ,says he needs what stock he has , this is despite my always paying the asking price in cash . Tried a few others found here but they all want to sell me logs ! More and more people with stoves now ,one time you couldn't give it away , wouldn't mind if I hadn't just paid £400 + for a husqvarna ! .

Comment

There is a town in Alaska called Sitka. Is that where they imported that tree from ?
                            Me

Comment

Uses[edit]

Felled Sitka spruce, Oregon Coast Range, 1918

Sitka spruce is of major importance in forestry for timber and paper production. Outside its native range, it is particularly valued for its fast growth on poor soils and exposed sites where few other trees can prosper; in ideal conditions, young trees may grow 1.5 m (4.9 ft) per year. It is naturalized in some parts of Ireland and Great Britain, where it was introduced in 1831 by David Douglas,[10] and New Zealand, though not so extensively as to be considered invasive. Sitka spruce is also planted extensively in Denmark, Norway, and Iceland.[11][12] In Norway, Sitka spruce was introduced in the early 1900s. An estimated 50,000 hectares (120,000 acres) have been planted in Norway, mainly along the coast from Vest-Agder in the south to Troms in the north. It is more tolerant to wind and saline ocean air, and grows faster than the native Norway spruce.[13] But in Norway, the Sitka spurce is now considered an invasive species, and effort to get rid of it is being made.[14][15]
                              Sitka spruce is used widely in piano, harp, violin, and guitar manufacture, as its high strength-to-weight ratio and regular, knot-free rings make it an excellent conductor of sound. For these reasons, the wood is also an important material for sailboat spars, and aircraft wing spars (including flying models). The Wright brothers' Flyer was built using Sitka spruce, as were many aircraft before World War II; during that war, aircraft such as the British Mosquito used it as a substitute for strategically important aluminium.
                              Newly grown tips of Sitka spruce branches are used to flavor spruce beer and are boiled to make syrup.[16][17]
                              The root bark of Sitka spruce trees is used in Native Alaskan basket-weaving designs.[18]
                              Last edited by trubrit2411; 29 April 2018, 18:05.
                              Me

Comment

Working...
                              X