Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Prose-The demise of 1 Para-Wiki History

Originally posted by johnb View Post
    Best short and informative film I have yet seen about Arnhem. 400,000 German troops and two Panzer divisions in the Arnhem area when the lads landed, never stood a chance. The captured plans put paid to the second drop. Whether political, sport, industry or military, we have over the years produced some dire leaders and managers. I often think that this country does not deserve the Tom. I suspect that leadership today is no better than in the past, Montgomery was just another example of the public school prefect type leadership. Wig

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
      Best short and informative film I have yet seen about Arnhem. 400,000 German troops and two Panzer divisions in the Arnhem area when the lads landed, never stood a chance. The captured plans put paid to the second drop. Whether political, sport, industry or military, we have over the years produced some dire leaders and managers. I often think that this country does not deserve the Tom. I suspect that leadership today is no better than in the past, Montgomery was just another example of the public school prefect type leadership. Wig
      I agree with every word of your statement. Monty was the son of a preacher they were both in a Walter Mitty world-The British Parachute Regiment was badly managed throughout WW11. What happened at Arnhem was embarrassing.

Comment

It wasn't embarrassing for the British Airborne troops; they earned the respect of the German Army for their fighting prowess and resilience. That's why they became known as the Red Devils. It was certainly embarrassing for the British leadership. But that was like water off a duck's back because the British leaders don't know the meaning of embarrassment. The 'boys' of Arnhem were and still are, an example to all those following in their footsteps, who wear the maroon beret.

Comment

Originally posted by treeman View Post
          It wasn't embarrassing for the British Airborne troops; they earned the respect of the German Army for their fighting prowess and resilience. That's why they became known as the Red Devils. It was certainly embarrassing for the British leadership. But that was like water off a duck's back because the British leaders don't know the meaning of embarrassment. The 'boys' of Arnhem were and still are, an example to all those following in their footsteps, who wear the maroon beret.
          No one who has served in the Parachute Regiment and particularly blokes of my era who were trained by NCO's who fought at Arnhem and in N Africa has anything but total respect for the guys who actually did the fighting, any Ops I ever became involved with were carried out by lads in the clear knowledge that you had a Para reputation to maintain. I came to the sad conclusion many years ago that war is where the leaders of two opposing countries find a piece of land (as in WW1) and they shovel normal working class blokes from both countries on to that land to kill each other. The politicians and military leaders simply agree which piece of land and then they step back and supply the food, ammunition and fresh blood to the battling Toms (from both sides) until one side are either dead or exhausted, then the politicians emerge, congratulate themselves, dish out awards and medals (used to be vast estates) to each other, give the Toms a demob suit and have a Remembrance every year, and guess who 'leads' the Remembrance? The same twots who created the war! Top of the crap-heap are blokes like general Percival in Singapore, he surrendered 120,000 armed men to about 40,000 Japs the spineless prick, at the end of the war they made Percival a Field Marshall. Nuff said. wig

Comment

No one who has served in the Parachute Regiment and particularly blokes of my era who were trained by NCO's who fought at Arnhem and in N Africa has anything but total respect for the guys who actually did the fighting, any Ops I ever became involved with were carried out by lads in the clear knowledge that you had a Para reputation to maintain. I came to the sad conclusion many years ago that war is where the leaders of two opposing countries find a piece of land (as in WW1) and they shovel normal working class blokes from both countries on to that land to kill each other. The politicians and military leaders simply agree which piece of land and then they step back and supply the food, ammunition and fresh blood to the battling Toms (from both sides) until one side are either dead or exhausted, then the politicians emerge, congratulate themselves, dish out awards and medals (used to be vast estates) to each other, give the Toms a demob suit and have a Remembrance every year, and guess who 'leads' the Remembrance? The same twots who created the war! Top of the crap-heap are blokes like general Percival in Singapore, he surrendered 120,000 armed men to about 40,000 Japs the spineless prick, at the end of the war they made Percival a Field Marshall. Nuff said. wig

The British Parachute Regiment was badly managed throughout WW11. What happened at Arnhem was embarrassing.

I am not blaming the toms

I don't recall any clear cut victories by paras alone in WW11

Comment

how do you suggest we change the system- repeat video
              Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                how do you suggest we change the system- repeat video
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP4IF2OY3Kc
                John, not sure that the political, military, church, civil service systems in the UK will ever change themselves. For example whether a person feels we should get out of the EU or not 'the people' voted to leave. Some of the establishment who are on massive government pensions are coming out of the woodwork to try to overturn that decision (would you believe even Blair has the effrontery to tell us we were wrong). They are kicking up because the population did not fall in to line with what the establishment wanted. Like Trump or not, he has been voted in by the American people, their politicos and press are choking to down him. Trumps 'problem' is that he is not a politician and does not fall in to line with the establishment in the US. Instead of Trump playing politics in congress he is going out to the people to explain what he is doing and why, and the US political system is gagging. In both the UK and the US the turkey's do not vote for Christmas. We may find that the French, Dutch and German people may well stuff their establishments before long. So there is hope. I am not a communist but a communityist and like Trump I put my own community first. As to our military the old school are still embedded, but its seems to be changing. An example of the stupidity if you will-I worked at the MoD selecting a new military steerable parachute, at the end of the day the decision was made by an Admiral who had not a clue about airborne forces, the parachute was hopeless ans unsafe. At meetings to order new radio's, rifles, boots, bergens etc for the infantry I had the cheek to suggest that an infantry company commander, section commander and a couple of senior NCO's and Cpls should be involved, I was almost thrown out of the building, the final decision was made by an Air Vice Marshall who had not a clue about infantry soldiering. The Admiral and the air Vice marshall were doing a kind of demob leave job before they got some gong and retirement from the MoD. I have heard comment from my grandson about the rifles, radios, clothing and boots in Afghan and it does not surprise me at all. Nowt changes, the lads running ashore on D day looked like a group of window cleaners with ladders, bikes and bits of string hanging off them. Sorry about length of this, got me going. Back to work tomorrow. wig

Comment

John, not sure that the political, military, church, civil service systems in the UK will ever change themselves. For example whether a person feels we should get out of the EU or not 'the people' voted to leave. Some of the establishment who are on massive government pensions are coming out of the woodwork to try to overturn that decision (would you believe even Blair has the effrontery to tell us we were wrong). They are kicking up because the population did not fall in to line with what the establishment wanted. Like Trump or not, he has been voted in by the American people, their politicos and press are choking to down him. Trumps 'problem' is that he is not a politician and does not fall in to line with the establishment in the US. Instead of Trump playing politics in congress he is going out to the people to explain what he is doing and why, and the US political system is gagging. In both the UK and the US the turkey's do not vote for Christmas. We may find that the French, Dutch and German people may well stuff their establishments before long. So there is hope. I am not a communist but a communityist and like Trump I put my own community first. As to our military the old school are still embedded, but its seems to be changing. An example of the stupidity if you will-I worked at the MoD selecting a new military steerable parachute, at the end of the day the decision was made by an Admiral who had not a clue about airborne forces, the parachute was hopeless ans unsafe. At meetings to order new radio's, rifles, boots, bergens etc for the infantry I had the cheek to suggest that an infantry company commander, section commander and a couple of senior NCO's and Cpls should be involved, I was almost thrown out of the building, the final decision was made by an Air Vice Marshall who had not a clue about infantry soldiering. The Admiral and the air Vice marshall were doing a kind of demob leave job before they got some gong and retirement from the MoD. I have heard comment from my grandson about the rifles, radios, clothing and boots in Afghan and it does not surprise me at all. Nowt changes, the lads running ashore on D day looked like a group of window cleaners with ladders, bikes and bits of string hanging off them. Sorry about length of this, got me going. Back to work tomorrow. wig
                  I like Trump,
                  he seems to be saying, lets do business not war. I prefer
                  the American
                  system of government.

Ours is to cluttered up
                  with historical garbage.

I'm not keen on royalty. Every year they tap money out of the public purse just to keep their supremeist life going.

I don't like those 26 Bishops in the House of Lords who tapped 40 million out of the public purse
                  to repair their buildings.

It seems pimping to survive at the top is all the rage in this century.
                  Last edited by johnb; 20 February 2017, 22:14.

Comment

Interesting-

The Japanese had already occupied approximately half of Singapore and it was clear that the island would soon fall. Having been told that ammunition and water would both run out by the following day, Percival agreed to surrender. The Japanese at this point were running low on artillery shells, but Percival did not know this.The Japanese insisted that Percival himself march under a white flag to the Old Ford Motor Factory in Bukit Timah to negotiate the surrender. A Japanese officer present noted that he looked "pale, thin and tired".[55] After a brief disagreement, when Percival insisted that the British keep 1,000 men under arms in Singapore to preserve order, which Yamashita finally conceded, it was agreed at 6:10 pm that the British Empire troops would lay down their arms and cease resistance at 8:30 pm. This was in spite of instructions from Prime Minister Winston Churchill for prolonged resistance.[2] The Pacific War was just ten weeks old.
                    A common view holds that 138,708 Allied personnel surrendered or were killed by fewer than 30,000 Japanese. However, the former figure includes nearly 50,000 troops captured or killed during the Battle of Malaya, and perhaps 15,000 base troops. Many of the other troops were tired and under-equipped following their retreat from the Malayan peninsula. Conversely, the latter number represents only the front-line troops available for the invasion of Singapore. British Empire battle casualties since 8 December amounted to 7,500 killed and 11,000 wounded. Japanese losses totalled around 3,500 killed and 6,100 wounded.[56]

Comment

Working...
                    X