Found yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found yesterday

Have a look at this, found yesterday when the tide was well out. Just caught my eye, never had my hurdy gurdy with me.DSCN1837.jpgDSCN1839.jpgDSCN1840.jpg any idea what it was used for? It has a metal sheaf with barnacles on and the blade looks like it only has a sharp point, strange knife but could be quite oldish.

Re: Found yesterday

Sorry no idea what it is,but your table needs a coat of paint!.

Comment

yes it looks like a good find !! so is the knife !!
      2 Para Pal,6 plt B.Coy. Sounds good to me.

Comment

That,s a GREAT find Taz! Possibly from some old shipwreck so could be very old and looking at it I think it is. The only way ofcourse is for it to be done at possibly the British Museum with their thermal imaging equipment. To go down that route the best thing is to take it to your local Museum, but be careful cos they all class theresens as "experts" and might fob you off saying that it,s fukk all. Did it with me once with what turned out to be a 12th Century Norman sword after the real "expert" ad a butchers at it. Really nice find and great for your collection.

Comment

Taz, looks like a good find mate, isn't that the area were Henry the V111's old warship was brought up, not saying it is part of that hoard but it might be well worth a trip to the Mary Rose Museum mate and asking if it's a possibility that it may be maritime from that period .
          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Yes could be what Dave said Tony, Down our way across from you we have Buckler's Hard;
            Buckler's Hard was the birthplace of many British naval vessels, including many of Admiral Nelson's fleet, using the timber of the New Forest. The Hard, under the control of Master shipbuilder Henry Adams was responsible for building many famous ships during the late 18th century and early 19th centuries. These included HMS Euryalus, HMS Swiftsure and HMS Agamemnon, all of which fought at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.[2] The industry declined in the nineteenth-century and today the hamlet is given over to tourism, with a small maritime museum, and a modern yachting marina. During World War II, the village was used to build motor torpedo boats and the river was a base for hundreds of landing craft for the Normandy invasion, Operation Overlord. Buckler's Hard was whereSir Francis Chichester began and finished his single-handed voyage around the world in Gipsy Moth IV.
            Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
            A Great Civilization is not Conquered from without
            Until it has destroyed itself from within
            W.Durant

Comment

You forgot one of the more famous visitors to Bucklers Hard - I used to often sail the JSSC Contessa 32 yachts there and moor up so we could go ashore and take a few drinks!
              I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

You would no doubt be familiar with 3 Para's most notable sailor John Joyce then Kev?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinMoran View Post
                  You forgot one of the more famous visitors to Bucklers Hard - I used to often sail the JSSC Contessa 32 yachts there and moor up so we could go ashore and take a few drinks!
                  I take it you made a visit to them cottages and the inn Kev?
                  When we first walked in the inn...........................we could hear talking and laughter and actually thought it was for real.
                  Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
                  A Great Civilization is not Conquered from without
                  Until it has destroyed itself from within
                  W.Durant

Comment

How come I never find anything worth finding? once I found a twenty pound note next to me at the bar... Craftily I swooped down and proffed it in my pocket.. Only to find later it was my own note I'd obviously dropped earlier.. Hope ure find is sommat Taz
                    HURRY UP AND WAIT

Comment

Used ta bo a £20 noo-at stuck tat floor in,t Cossack battlecruiser weer all the puffs standing at the bar wud bi waiting ta pounce when some poor unsuspecting geezer bent down to attempt ta pick it up!

Comment

What is it with pooftahs and Russia?Over here it's the Kremlin nightclub in Belfast!(Err,so I'm told,cough cough)The local gamekeeper's son is a local drag act celebrity called Titty Von Tramp when he's in character,and all the women are jealous of his legs.Does a lot of work for charity,and,apparently has a hobby of getting the straight bouncers on the door of The Kremlin pissed and riding them!
                        Last edited by Pat Harley; 24 February 2016, 16:40.

Comment

Ha ha ha ha, Titty Von Tramp, perhaps it should be read in the reverse order.
                          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                            You would no doubt be familiar with 3 Para's most notable sailor John Joyce then Kev?
                            Pat 3 Paras most famous sailor was Chay Blyth,him and me were in 164 pln through Maida 58/59

Comment

Originally posted by Kit Karson View Post
                              How come I never find anything worth finding? once I found a twenty pound note next to me at the bar... Craftily I swooped down and proffed it in my pocket.. Only to find later it was my own note I'd obviously dropped earlier.. Hope ure find is sommat Taz
                              Kit - I am having some trouble believing that story - maybe a one pound note or even at a stretch a fiver, but it is unconcievable that you ever had a whole twenty pounds in your posession at a single moment in time.....
                              I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

Working...
                              X