Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Out and about

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
    Would love something like that, but couldn't justify the cost !
    I had a guitar built by one of the Country's best luthiers, which cost just under three grand. My Daughters all tut tutted about wasting money. The same spec guitar today would cost seven grand so mine is valued around five. I'm sure Dave made a gain on the rifle. Sometimes you have to stick your neck out and speculate to accumulate.

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
      Would love something like that, but couldn't justify the cost !

I couldn't justify the cost of that Maxim of mine,around £800,or the several grand on my bike and sidecar with MG42,but as they say there's no pockets in a shroud. Neither of them will appreciate in value,but I like them,so bugger the cost,it's only dough!

Comment

Av allus lived by the code that if tha sees summat tha really wants n tha can,t afoord it, fergerrit n move on, burrif thaz got the ackers buy the fukker even if the woman in thi life inevatably ses, "What have you bought that for?" cos they aint gorra fukkin clue about boys toys. I allus reply, "Well it,s berra than that fukkin andbag n pair o fukkin shoes a just bought thi!" That shuts the fukkers up! Allus luvved antique stuff tharram interested in, n if a can afoord, a will buy owt that teks mi fancy. Just bought a beautytash Victorian Justice O the Peace Tipstaff/Baton for the City o Durham, real local interest and good ta own Real Decorative Finial, Victoria Crown over the Durham City coat of arms on one side, and on the other, solid silver St. Cuthbert Cross. Solid brass shaft with heavy ends fer twattin miscreants, beautiful piece o Victorian craftsmanship. Fixed plaque engraved wi the last recipient in 1928. Fukk noze weer it,s bin since? Paid 250 ackers fer it cos a just luv history n great ta own a piece like that, n like the man sed, "Find mi another one exactly the same!

Comment

The Bridge

Comment

Expected to see Matthew Hopkins dipping a few wenches there Jack.
            "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Tha lives in a brill hurdy gurdy county Jack, Angle Irons very histerical, some o the best finds o unearthed theer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                Av allus lived by the code that if tha sees summat tha really wants n tha can,t afoord it, fergerrit n move on, burrif thaz got the ackers buy the fukker even if the woman in thi life inevatably ses, "What have you bought that for?" cos they aint gorra fukkin clue about boys toys. I allus reply, "Well it,s berra than that fukkin andbag n pair o fukkin shoes a just bought thi!" That shuts the fukkers up! Allus luvved antique stuff tharram interested in, n if a can afoord, a will buy owt that teks mi fancy. Just bought a beautytash Victorian Justice O the Peace Tipstaff/Baton for the City o Durham, real local interest and good ta own Real Decorative Finial, Victoria Crown over the Durham City coat of arms on one side, and on the other, solid silver St. Cuthbert Cross. Solid brass shaft with heavy ends fer twattin miscreants, beautiful piece o Victorian craftsmanship. Fixed plaque engraved wi the last recipient in 1928. Fukk noze weer it,s bin since? Paid 250 ackers fer it cos a just luv history n great ta own a piece like that, n like the man sed, "Find mi another one exactly the same!
                I know exactly what you mean Dave. If you see something that you admire, and you have the money, and can afford it, buy it or you'll regret missing out on something you'll probably never get a chance to own again. I've never regretted indulging my taste. I had a lust for a 1796 British Pattern Light Cavalry sabre which could decapitate a Frenchman nae bother, by Osborne of Birmingham, so a very early one, in mint nick, never even sharpened, They don't grow on trees, and I get a lot of pleasure from handling it. A truly terrible weapon, therefor lots of fun, and worth every penny. Same with my Atmos Maritime Museum clock. You never have to wind it up and it's accurate to about a second a month. I get huge pleasure watching it tick every 30 seconds. My wife, fortunately approves of everything I buy, and never moans. One in a million, she is.

Comment

Your spot on Dave, when you say find me another, something like that is a one off mate. Others may be made at some other stage, but a period of history has past and there is no going back. Many is the time I've said I should have bought that, and didn't. but too bloody late then it's gone an opportunity missed !
                  Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

We,ve all bin pink lint at times with everything earned guin ta the family just ta keep a roof o,er thi crust n crumbs on the table n allus looked at summat tha fancies buyin wi hopeless envy n a thought o "If only". Az tha gets on thi plates o meight, owder n a bit moor affluent n tha can afoord summat thaz allus desired, then spoil theesen, after the Missis ofcoorse! Like Findlay, collectables like that, only increase in monetry value az time passes, so as well as being an investmant, you have the pleasure of owning and handling them

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                      Tha lives in a brill hurdy gurdy county Jack, Angle Irons very histerical, some o the best finds o unearthed theer

Those detector guys are out in the fields Dave no big finds being reported I see them when out on my bike nore this time of year

Comment

The geezers wi any sense Jack won,t repoort their finds, otherwise they,ll get fukk all fer duin all the ard collar, fukk that!

Comment

Paid a visit yo this old RAF station They played videos of its history but sound was not good enough so I found thier web site

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Comment

Jackw 102
                            Thanks for putting these videos on the site. Utterly fascinating, I knew none of this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X