Out and about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Out and about

The old Broads looked busy Jack, more traffic on there than the English Channel mate, and that's supposed to be the busiest shipping lane. Have you been to Thorpe Abbots at all ? It's an old USAAF base for what was the 100th Bomb Group during WW2. Very interesting place. Mind as you probably well know it's not the only one in East Anglia !
    Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Yes Bob I did post a link to a video on a thread
      here it is again

Comment

To go around them old airfields is nothing else but brilliant.
        Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
        A Great Civilization is not Conquered from without
        Until it has destroyed itself from within
        W.Durant

Comment

Excellent Jack, when my stepfather retired from the Prison Service. He retired to East Anglia. And got a voluntary job at Thorpe Abbots museum in the souvenir shop, loved every minute of it. He passed away about 18 Years ago, I told my mother to hold on to his ashes as I was going to scatter them on the Airfield. But she scattered them on the crematorium rose garden, got to admit, I was a little pissed off about that but what can you say
          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Read a book called "A wing and a Prayer" by a guy called Harry Crosby who was a navigator on a B17 which flew from Thorpe Abbots in WW2. Anybody who has never read it, this is well worth a read.
            Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Anyone know what agree ham Common is now, I heard a housing estate? Spent many a day and night dodging used tampons back when nukes arrived
              HURRY UP AND WAIT

Comment

Don't know what it is now Kit, but I remember attempting to keep the old smelly's from gaining access to it. Bit like Canute, trying to stop the tide mate.
                Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Early days of free fall used to go along towards Andover to an old wartime airfield to jump off the wings of some f***ing old crate or other (was it Thruxton airfield???). There were 3 or 4 old Spitfires sat at the corner of the airfield getting all overgrown with grass and moss along with a couple of dozen Jeeps, if only we had known the value of those aircraft today fetching well over £1 million each. F**K! Wig

Comment

Dave, go here;

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Used to go down there every weekend Wig,in the early 60s ,the British Skydiving Centre in those days run by Bernie Green,used tae hitch frae the Shot ,most weekends,
                      wi the rig slung over the shoulder

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
                      Early days of free fall used to go along towards Andover to an old wartime airfield to jump off the wings of some f***ing old crate or other (was it Thruxton airfield???). There were 3 or 4 old Spitfires sat at the corner of the airfield getting all overgrown with grass and moss along with a couple of dozen Jeeps, if only we had known the value of those aircraft today fetching well over £1 million each. F**K! Wig

Comment

Remember the case a good few years back where the novice jumper was dropped too close to the helicopter training area at Thruxton,and then steered herself into the rotors of a chopper,very messy!

Comment

Poor lass. Much better if she,d o steered ersen onta one o the ground crews chopper.

Comment

Originally posted by jim scott View Post
                            Used to go down there every weekend Wig,in the early 60s ,the British Skydiving Centre in those days run by Bernie Green,used tae hitch frae the Shot ,most weekends,
                            wi the rig slung over the shoulder
                            Jim, and the rigs were as big as a f***ing sideboard, needed a trailer to get a few rigs down there. Passed Halfpenny Green a few months ago, some free fall going on, wandered in to have a look, astonished at the size of the stuff they jump with now, more like a pocket hanky, barely see the reserve, hitefinders, the lot, the 'ripcord' was a bunch of beads near his arse, or a 'drogue' tucked in to a pocket. Used to like to feel something on my back with a handle like a lump of angle iron. Was mid 50's, eventually they broke up the Spitfires and Jeeps and took them off for scrap. Enough to make you weep. Wig

Comment

Jim Scott, Do you remember Jim Walmsley, hailed from Liverpool area I think, he would be about the early 60's era, often wondered how he is doing today if still around? I think Charlie Gowans would also be about that time. Was saddened to learn that Sherdy had gone some years ago. Wig

Comment

Not a name that comes to mind Wig,guy that i used to hitch with was Jimmy Milne ,2 Para,that wos 63/64

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
                                Jim Scott, Do you remember Jim Walmsley, hailed from Liverpool area I think, he would be about the early 60's era, often wondered how he is doing today if still around? I think Charlie Gowans would also be about that time. Was saddened to learn that Sherdy had gone some years ago. Wig

Comment

Working...
                                X