Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On this day...

...Bob, Jeff Langford posted this on fudbook:

On this day in 1971 the IRA murdered Margaret McCorry, 20. Catholic. Clerical Officer, who had been successful at interview for a new job earlier, but was unaware of the outcome when murdered.

Engaged to an American man she had met while on holidays in the Republic of Ireland. Miss McCorry was shot at a bus stop on the Crumlin Road,. North Belfast, while on her way to share her wedding plans.

A soldier was wounded in the army truck, when murderers fired at the Army passing from a house they had taken over earlier, in a pre-planned murder attack. Fire was not returned.

Miss MCorry was hit in her chest by a bullet fired by the IRA and was seen to raise her hands to her head and fall. (articles refer) Murderers fled in the direction of the Ardoyne.

First Aid worker went to help injured girl before realising she was her niece described as "a beautiful girl with a winning smile

"We will pray for the people who took her life” -Mum:

Poncho, posted this:

Thanks for posting that Jeffry. I was that soldier. This day last year, the fiftieth anniversary, I did remember to spend a little time in quiet contemplation of Margaret. It's nice to know that she is remembered by, at least, a couple of us.

McCrory3.jpg

Re: On this day...

It's a wonder the BBC didn't blame soldiers for letting civilians get between them and the bullets.

Comment

I think in those days, they weren't so Government controlled Steve and the rest of the mudstream media had many various owners, as opposed to nowadays where the entire world media is owned by half a dozen people.
      "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Don, I remember Poncho relating that incident when we on a Snowdonia event. He reckoned he was lucky because the round passed between the sleeves of his flack jacket grazing him I believe but not causing any serious injury. Then it went out through the back of the 3Tonner without causing any further damage, lucky man our Poncho!
        Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

He was still wearing the smock with a hole in it 2yrs later Bob, fukkers wouldn't let him keep it when he left.

Comment

When we were handing in weapons after the trip down south the RSM Laurie Ashbridge who was taking them in jokingly refused to accept one of my mags which had a huge shrapnel hole in it,unnoticed by me. He told me I could keep it,but I foolishly refused which I regret to this day,it would be a good lamp swinging accessory. I also had several holes in my smock trousers and helmet which all went the same way. Hindsight's a wonderful thing!

Comment

Them aretefacts wud bi weth a fortune on eBay these days Pat, chairborne warriors gu crackers fer that stuff.

Comment

Pat, Bob watson told me about a bloke he had, that was always in trouble and getting show cleans. He said he had two rifles shot out of his hands going up Longdon and had to go back and take one off the wounded. One i could believe but i thought two was a tale too far. Any of this ring a bell?

Comment

Ken Yeomans D Company 1 Para had a snipers round down the spout of iz SLR peeling it back like a fukkin banana, June 67 Sheik Othman. Thi reckoned only other time an instant like this recorded wuz durin WW1.

Comment

Better down the barrel of his SLR than up his arse, but I bet it shook him up a bit.
                    Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Wasn't me Don,even though the showclean scenario would be familiar. I think the shrapnel through the mag happened when I left it leaning on a rock while I did some gentle looting of a couple of tents and a shell from an anti tank gun whistled in to take out the rest of my section who were making a brew. Not the only time my dislike of brews was the saving of me!

Comment

Booat race covered in claret Bob, everyone thougt eed copped fer a eead shot.

Comment

The best laxative in the world Dave !
                          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Working...
                          X