his own ideas were most profound

Alas on D Day he was not selected
    although on all sides most respected
    the great American Eisenhower
    was elected to lead this finest hour

After the war he settled down
    not to far from a Hampshire town
    he bought a mill on the river Wey
    In Binstead church yard his body does lay.

Jobee.
    Arnem-Market garden, he must have known those two divisions of tanks were there.
    They had been seen on the streets of Arnem for weeks before the attack.
    Info Arnem vets.
    WWII Forums - Gateway to the Second World War

Monty took full responsibility for Market Garden, he just never said that it was an unmittigated disaster. He always maintained that it could have worked but didn't recieve enough support. Carlo D'Este states that Montgomery's admission of failure was unique: "the only admission of falure by a senior Allied Commander."

Montgomery himself said of Market Garden: "It was a bad mistake on my part – I underestimated the difficulties of opening up the approaches to Antwerp ... I reckoned the Canadian Army could do it while we were going for the Ruhr. I was wrong

Part of Operation market garden the battle of Arnhem fought by the British 1st airborne division and the free Polish airborne brigade in an unequal battle wi...
    Last edited by johnb; 17 April 2016, 20:57.

Re: Bernard Montgomery

Last saw him been driven around Browning Barracks, he was in uniform but looked very frail. That would be about the late sixties !
    Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
      Last saw him been driven around Browning Barracks, he was in uniform but looked very frail. That would be about the late sixties !
      Would love to have seen him-never did

Comment

He inspected me.

course he inspected about 3000 others as well....... but he winked at me and said "Awright mate ?"
        "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
        Me

Comment

Hope you dint reply, "OOOOOHHHHH you are awful, but I do like you!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
            Hope you dint reply, "OOOOOHHHHH you are awful, but I do like you!"
            American Generals didn't rate him- he made a mess of it at Dunkirk and Arnhem-Rommel
            was on sick leave at El Alamein- unless that was just rumour.
            Last edited by johnb; 22 April 2016, 09:24.

Comment

He might have been cautious but that is understandable due to the fact that we didn't have the manpower available to waste. Yes he did like to blow his own trumpet a bit, but don't forget so did Patton,and during the Ardennes offensive he was not a favourite of Bradley,who could have come to grief through his tactical decisions if Eisenhower who acted on Montgomery's advice prevented Bradley from his own destruction !
              Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

It was the single lane road...................
                Me

Comment

Just been studying Dunkirk. If Monte made a mess of it so did every other senior commander in the British French and Belgian Army.

He/They discounted an advance through the Ardennes forest because they thought Guderian could not get his tanks through it. So they settled in for defensive trench warfare stalemate along a Northern River. (Not the Somme) From the Northern edge of the Forest to the beach
                  Can't remember the river now. Anyway there was two opposing lines of thought. The old WWI defense by trench, or Guderian's combination of Stuka's and Tanks better known as Blitzkrieg. We all know which was better. He came storming through the Ardennes and into Sedan in no time flat.

Even Blitzkrieg had its failings though. It tended to out run its supply and beat the tanks to death. It was also open to lateral attack from the sides which could cut the column in two, by enterprising tank officers like one Col Charles De Gaul.

Plus the Infantry could not keep up. That's why Dunkirk worked. Hitler ordered the Guderian to rest his troops. Repair his tanks and wait three days for the infantry to arrive before finally decimating the BEF and the French trapped on the sand at Dunkirk. (One of his big strategic blunders. He only made a few but when he did he went large).

That was all the fishermen of the South coast needed. Along with a few Navy types of course.

I never realised that 25% of those small boats never made it back .

So it was'nt just Monte. It was everybody. Lord Gort, Gamelein the Froggy, the whole ish. They refused to acknowledge the concentrated punch of Blitzkrieg versus the broad front. Even though they had just watched it decimate the Poles in five weeks flat. They had five divisions more than the Krauts and way more and better armed tanks. That French Tank was supposed to be the best in the world at the time. Even better that the Panzer Mark IV
                  Guderian and his devastating multi pinpoint break throughs, and then turn left and right and encircle, so now our chasps are taking a shellacking from the front and the rear..... had them utterly bemused. Just like it would later on with the Russians. For a while....................but only for a while
                  Last edited by trubrit2411; 22 April 2016, 14:11.
                  Me

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                    American Generals didn't rate him- he made a mess of it at Dunkirk and Arnhem-Rommel
                    was on sick leave at El Alamein- unless that was just rumour.
                    He was on sick leave. Did'nt lack of petrol also do Rommel in ? .... at the end. That was another of Hitler's clangers. Rushing to the aid of the Italians in Albania Greece and N Africa. He tied up a quarter of a million men trying to uphold Mussolini's dream of a New Roman Empire. Against his General's advice. He should have let Italy get clobbered because they did eventually. Anyway most of the Italian Army did not want to fight for Mussolini or Hitler in the first place. They could not wait to give up. Except the Italian Para's, The Folgore. They did very well. Which sounds familiar.
                    Last edited by trubrit2411; 22 April 2016, 14:07.
                    Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
                      Just been studying Dunkirk. If Monte made a mess of it so did every other senior commander in the British French and Belgian Army.

He/They discounted an advance through the Ardennes forest because they thought Guderian could not get his tanks through it. So they settled in for defensive trench warfare stalemate along a Northern River. (Not the Somme) From the Northern edge of the Forest to the beach
                      Can't remember the river now. Anyway there was two opposing lines of thought. The old WWI defense by trench, or Guderian's combination of Stuka's and Tanks better known as Blitzkrieg. We all know which was better. He came storming through the Ardennes and into Sedan in no time flat.

Even Blitzkrieg had its failings though. It tended to out run its supply and beat the tanks to death. It was also open to lateral attack from the sides which could cut the column in two, by enterprising tank officers like one Col Charles De Gaul.

Plus the Infantry could not keep up. That's why Dunkirk worked. Hitler ordered the Guderian to rest his troops. Repair his tanks and wait three days for the infantry to arrive before finally decimating the BEF and the French trapped on the sand at Dunkirk. (One of his big strategic blunders. He only made a few but when he did he went large).

That was all the fishermen of the South coast needed. Along with a few Navy types of course.

I never realised that 25% of those small boats never made it back .

So it was'nt just Monte. It was everybody. Lord Gort, Gamelein the Froggy, the whole ish. They refused to acknowledge the concentrated punch of Blitzkrieg versus the broad front. Even though they had just watched it decimate the Poles in five weeks flat. They had five divisions more than the Krauts and way more and better armed tanks. That French Tank was supposed to be the best in the world at the time. Even better that the Panzer Mark IV
                      Guderian and his devastating multi pinpoint break throughs, and then turn left and right and encircle, so now our chasps are taking a shellacking from the front and the rear..... had them utterly bemused. Just like it would later on with the Russians. For a while....................but only for a while
                      Blitzkrieg shook the lot. Monty made a twat of himself. Interesting, must delve a little deeper-the first casualty of war is truth.

Comment

El Alamein was supposed to be a plan devised by Monty's predecessor,which he employed after the bloke was sacked for lack of progress.That's what I heard anyway,and like Patton,Monty was really popular with the troops,and was kept on for this reason in spite of his oddness,and many perceived failings!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                          El Alamein was supposed to be a plan devised by Monty's predecessor,which he employed after the bloke was sacked for lack of progress.That's what I heard anyway,and like Patton,Monty was really popular with the troops,and was kept on for this reason in spite of his oddness,and many perceived failings!
                          Interesting Pat,the mist begins to clear

Comment

Working...
                          X