X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STAND BY YOUR BEDS.

Stand by your beds
    Attached Files
    Remember...that Prosperity...can only be for the free...and that freedom...is the sure possession..of those alone...who have the Courage to defend it.

Re: STAND BY YOUR BEDS.

'orrible. Medieval torture...... however, we did not have that in Maida.
    We just had beds like drums which you could'nt breathe on, or put anything heavy on, like a ping pong ball,
    til the Grand Inquisitor and Gods 1, 2 and 3 had finished the morning round of torture. Or unless God 1......who was 2Para Smokey Lloyd
    turned it into a flying carpet. Mine went Airborne on a regular basis. Same with white mugs. He had a thing for airborne Mugs.
    Probably because he was from Stoke on Trent. The Potteries.

Some times there would be a few whizzing around at once. Mugs in formation.

I remember one time John Sibley asked him which was the best bullet to get shot with.
    An ordinary one. Or a tracer.... Corporal ?

The look on Smokey Lloyds face.

Priceless........

Hilarious

RIP Smokey. You did us well mate.
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 30 July 2013, 21:10.
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

Hated the stand by yer beds, cause i used to get the giggles at the slightest thing, so as i stood there being stared at by occifers and staff sgts, over their shoulders i'd see a mate pulling faces to try and make me laugh and invariably i did. Then i'd get the old "whats so feckin funny soldier", so i'd normally say "just remembered a joke i heard sir", then they would normally say "well don't keep it to yerself, lets all enjoy it", hence, i would have to have a store of short jokes in my brain. I'm crap at telling jokes anyway, even more so when you've got some mad eyed, no necked, foaming at the mouth staff sgt hovering over you. Even if it was a good joke, it never saved me.
      I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Pity botox wasn't around then.I had the same problem,particularly as my default position for my gob is smile.Lost count over the years of how many teachers and NCO'c have asked me "What are you finding to smile about?" during some serious situation or a bollocking.

Comment

I've always been feckin hopeless with any series situation, anything starts me laughing, it must be a nervous thing. Remember at my granddads funeral, even though i was sad, something funny caught my eye, i couldn't stop, i had to go outside and pretend i'd been overcome with grief, still my granddad liked a laugh so i'm sure he understood.
          I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
            I've always been feckin hopeless with any series situation, anything starts me laughing, it must be a nervous thing. Remember at my granddads funeral, even though i was sad, something funny caught my eye, i couldn't stop, i had to go outside and pretend i'd been overcome with grief, still my granddad liked a laugh so i'm sure he understood.
            'Series' situation, that must be when you are laughing at a serious situation more than once!

Beat Pat and Don to that one.
            Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
            Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Comment

F.ckin ell that pic brings back some memories,licorice allsort bed box,hospital corners,been a lot easier if we,d had a duvet! Stuff lobbed through the window when not up to perfection,and f.ckin ell,slightest chip or crack in the owd mug,crime worse than murder! Like you Steve,I,ll f.ckin laff at owt,so during inspections was like comedy bandbox,used to stand there red faced,all me body shaking trying to keep it in,invariably all in vane.Eyeball to eyeball bollockin,followed by banjo on the back o the crust,I,m pissin mesen laffin just thinking about it all these years later!

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Doc Doherty View Post
                'Series' situation, that must be when you are laughing at a serious situation more than once!

Beat Pat and Don to that one.
                Very well done Mick, i deliberately put that in just to keep lads on their toe's, wondered who'd be the first to spot it.

Comment

How could you not laugh on quick change parades unless you had a serious sense of humour failure. Standing outside in the middle of December bollocky buff, wearing only boots, socks, 38 pattern web belt adorned with a mess tin front and rear. Great character building stuff !
                  Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Steve, did you stand by the right bed or did you see a better one.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                      Steve, did you stand by the right bed or did you see a better one.
                      there was no better bed than mine taff, a lot of blokes would be off down the pub,but not me, i'd work diligently all through the night to achieve perfection. Well, at least that's the way i remember it

Comment

Got flashbacks seeing that picture, bed blocks IJLB Oswestry, instructors, well mine was, Coldstream Guards, had a passion for them. Used to make it up the night before and sleep on the floor. Once you passed off the square I think it was finished with bed blocks though. Only other time we made them was when in nick!
                        Train hard fight easy
                        Signals Pamphlet 1980's...A real desire to communicate, coupled with the will to succeed will ensure best possible results in all circumstances...

Comment

In JPC we didn't, but we always had bed bed blocks when back in bks. Even in Rhine bks.
                          Except on weekends and leave of course.
                          Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
                          A Great Civilization is not Conquered from without
                          Until it has destroyed itself from within
                          W.Durant

Comment

You made bed blocks in Battalion John ?
                            "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                            Me

Comment

You have to remember Tony he was in 2 Para!!!
                              God made Para's to give Marines someone to look up to and worship.

Comment

Working...
                              X