Junior PARA Army Junior Rugby Champions '72/'73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior PARA Army Junior Rugby Champions '72/'73

Every Junior PARA in this pic went onto become Airborne Soldiers in the Battalions, Johnny Giles R.I.P. far right back row was killed at Warrenpoint, many others on there went onto to serve 22 years.

Besides it being a great pic full of characters, it also shows the stupidity of those that made the decision to do away with Junior Soldiers.

292301_340417539380546_1841623522_n.jpg
    Last edited by Don the Mod; 4 August 2012, 05:52.
    "Whilst drinking from the well, never forget those that dug the well"

Re: Junior PARA Army Junior Rugby Champions '72/'73

Tidied up a bit.

JPC Rugby.jpg
    "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Smokey, is the bloke sitting 2nd from the right My Isaac? The guy holdong the mascot looks familiar too.

Comment

Smokey is that Geordie Brown next to Johnny Giles R.I.P. and do I see Jerry o'toole in there.!!

Comment

No Don, thats Steve?? his name is on the tip of my tongue, he was a recruit with me too & we along with the others on there from that Pl all went to B Coy 2 PARA.

Same with the bloke with the mascot, he went to 1 PARA.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
            Smokey is that Geordie Brown next to Johnny Giles R.I.P. and do I see Jerry o'toole in there.!!
            No in both cases Taff.

Comment

Junior Para was fantastic apart from getting you as fit as a flea and learning about general soldiering we did loads of adventure training such as rock climbing, abseiling, white water canoeing I even did some pursuit cycle racing on an indoor banked track (not quite as good as Sir Chris Hoy though) in Calshot Southampton.
              Ad Unum Omnes
              webmaster@thebritishairborneforcesclub.co.uk
              ericthered@cv6.co.uk
              ex C Coy 1 Para
              Private what are doing here? reply: everyone has to be somewhere! (the late great Spike Milliigan)

Comment

Nearly everyone who was in Juniors with me and reached a battalion stayed the course and did the 22.Tells a tale as you say Smokey!Is that Nick Butler kneeling next to the bloke in the tracksuit middle row?

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                  Nearly everyone who was in Juniors with me and reached a battalion stayed the course and did the 22.Tells a tale as you say Smokey!Is that Nick Butler kneeling next to the bloke in the tracksuit middle row?
                  Sure is Pat, a future P COY CSM

Comment

I must be the only one that came out after 3 (well just over 5 actually but my service didn´t start till I was 18. So the first tour of NI was done and my time hadn´t started). We had a great time in JPC. Must say that I had my sights on the AAC from the beginning. Most of my mates ended up doing 22. Andy Gaul (ended up a Capt so I´ve been told). Wee Jimmy Beatie of course, and more. Trips to Skye and Cornwall... great stuff. On Skye there was rock climbing (may have told this one before.... minds going). A Lt that was with us (just come back from 22) wanted someone to go up the Coolins with him. He took me because I was the tallest. He pulled me up all the way. I´m no rock climber..... Running up and down the Roman Road in Thetford. -Hairy Hutton- had us doing tricks with telegraph poles. 6 teams and 6 poles I think. Chucking them up in the air and mucking about with them. Ended by a guy doing spreadeagle on the end of the pole as we put it on it´s end. We did quite a few shows (no Edinburgh though), London and a few others. Little Red Devils, still got the badge

Comment

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                        That's probably why JPC was binned mate, they don't want people doing the full term, it's cheaper.

Comment

fine bunch of young lions
                          shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

I had two good years there, as an instructor, Hugh Greatwood was OC, great by name, great by stature. JPC was a really good unit, best of it's type in the Army, and the battalions all gained good soldiers from JPC. Andy

Comment

Remember the murder ball matches against the staff. We got a fair old pasting but they all ended up in the canal anyway

Absailing out of Wessexes, real good times.
                              Last edited by Guest; 5 August 2012, 11:59.

Comment

Working...
                              X