Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kids in the 60's

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
    Did anyone else have a little front room in the house, that you weren't allowed in? It was kept spotless and only used if someone important visited and the best china came out.
    The Parlour.... You must have been posh to have one of them....
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

Originally posted by Don the Mod View Post
      And the mullions with their...is it called ionic heads, Tony? It is beautiful work when compared to the featureless boxes their knocking up these days.
      There is a building in Shrewsbury Don.... built in the late 1800's right on the entrance to the Kingsland Bridge over the Severn that used to be a hospital I think. Its flats now but the brickwork on it is second to none. Its unbelievably precise and the custom shapes they made for it are knockout. It stopped me dead in me tracks.
      I have seen some good ones here but they are in old Philadelphia by Liberty Hall where they signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776. I got off the Greyhound bus when they started going by to have a gander at these buildings with this incredible brickwork. Made a few enquiries. Guess who built them ? British immigrant Brickies.....

Having said that the best modern day trowel hand I have seen..... is an Aussie from Perth

Up close from five feet away this thing is stupendous. The best brickwork I have ever seen. Time must have been of no consequence...... Except for the top of the chimney some modern ham fisted twat has screwed up royally.

Last edited by trubrit2411; 23 August 2019, 09:19.
      Me

Comment

Having done both the all arms carpentry and bricklayer/concreter courses at Chatham I can turn an arch Tone,and build the form to shape and support it,although it would take me some time to get my hand back in,not having done it for years! Talking of the quality work of the Victorians,had to assist Mick in removing some windows from an old 1800's timber built house on his grounds,and replace with some bigger ones last week. The inner and outer skin is pitch pine tongue and groove,on a stud frame of about 4"x3". In the cavity was thick blotting paper-like material,still as good as the day it went in,holding back loads of cork for insulation,which on examination was cuttings from a bottle cork factory,probably shipped in from Spain. Cracking craftsmanship all round,and our bodge job,while adequate,and improving the building,probably wouldn't have stood inspection by the guys that built it. As in the pic above it was built for a worker on the estate,but no expense was spared in the quality of work!

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
          There is a building in Shrewsbury Don.... built in the late 1800's right on the entrance to the Kingsland Bridge over the Severn that used to be a hospital I think. Its flats now but the brickwork on it is second to none. Its unbelievably precise and the custom shapes they made for it are knockout. It stopped me dead in me tracks.
          I have seen some good ones here but they are in old Philadelphia by Liberty Hall where they signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776. I got off the Greyhound bus when they started going by to have a gander at these buildings with this incredible brickwork. Made a few enquiries. Guess who built them ? British immigrant Brickies.....

Having said that the best modern day trowel hand I have seen..... is an Aussie from Perth

Up close from five feet away this thing is stupendous. The best brickwork I have ever seen. Time must have been of no consequence...... Except for the top of the chimney some modern ham fisted twat has screwed up royally.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7057...7i13312!8i6656
          Nice building Tony, here's my favourite building less than a mile from me, Coates memorial. It was a drab flat picture, I added the sky and tweaked it in Photoshop:

Coats with dark sky.jpg

Here's a trip around Coates:1_396A Round Coates.jpg
          "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

The Parlour.... You must have been posh to have one of them....
            was quite a big old house in Soho Road. We left when I was young so don't know the history. Think it was my grandparents' house. A bit late to ask now.
            I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Ours wuz a back ta back gaff, one room downstairs, one bedroom n then up ta the attic weer our kid n me dossed. We ad a coyl cellar as well n the shithouse wuz a shared bog in the back yard. Unadulterated luxury!

Comment

was quite a big old house in Soho Road. We left when I was young so don't know the history. Think it was my grandparents' house. A bit late to ask now.
                Soho Rd at the end of the war was quite posh in certain areas. The roads off it even more so. Big mansion types where all the businessmen lived. Upstairs down stairs type houses....butlers...maids....all that stuff. Thats why the Indians and Pakis zeroed in on them. So they could split them into one bedroom sitters and stuff them with their bretheren four and five to a room. I worked on a few of the conversions but got mauled by them smart old Paki's. They had no honour. I got fooked everytime. I could write a book on their business tactics. They took a lot of honest, hard working young white kids for a lot of money in Brum... before we cottoned on. Twats. I hate the bastards to this day. I do not even return their phone calls.
                Last edited by trubrit2411; 23 August 2019, 16:09.
                Me

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                  Having done both the all arms carpentry and bricklayer/concreter courses at Chatham I can turn an arch Tone,and build the form to shape and support it,although it would take me some time to get my hand back in,not having done it for years! Talking of the quality work of the Victorians,had to assist Mick in removing some windows from an old 1800's timber built house on his grounds,and replace with some bigger ones last week. The inner and outer skin is pitch pine tongue and groove,on a stud frame of about 4"x3". In the cavity was thick blotting paper-like material,still as good as the day it went in,holding back loads of cork for insulation,which on examination was cuttings from a bottle cork factory,probably shipped in from Spain. Cracking craftsmanship all round,and our bodge job,while adequate,and improving the building,probably wouldn't have stood inspection by the guys that built it. As in the pic above it was built for a worker on the estate,but no expense was spared in the quality of work!
                  Yeah but you aint here mate..... Come on over but you will have to stain yer kisser brown to fit in....and waffle on in Spanish...

There are blokes here that can do 'em but they ain't available to me. All the ones I could call on are gone or retired and there was/is no body coming behind. Computers distorted the age old lineage. None of these young kids are coming into the trades. I was paying a bill the other day and a bloke in his seventies was in there getting material and he said" There's nobody behind us. You know that don't you"? He said he wanted to retire but his General contractors would'nt let him. They just keep paying him more and more. They can't replace him.
                  This industry is struggling right now with some seriously bad work going on. I am arguing like fook with a young general contractor that wants me to do summat that will pop at the first decent earth tremor, and bring all the front of the house and deck down. I am going to walk out that door in a minute and go to war with him. Fookin' idiot.
                  Me

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                    Ours wuz a back ta back gaff, one room downstairs, one bedroom n then up ta the attic weer our kid n me dossed. We ad a coyl cellar as well n the shithouse wuz a shared bog in the back yard. Unadulterated luxury!
                    You was pampered Dave....
                    Was they council houses or private landlords ? Or did your dad buy it ?

You could get them owd terraced houses in Wednesbury back of the Park for 500 quid in 1965. I knew a geezer used buy them like loaves. By 75 they was slum clearance. I was making beautiful polished varnished hearths out of that plum coloured Llanberis roofing slate. Me mates doing the Demo for Humphries used to let me fill me van up whenever I wanted. They were everywhere.

They were palleting them and floating them here to Ca to put on big flash repro houses. I could not believe when I got here and saw them advertised. Them and used up double decker buses.... the owd Red telephone kiosks. People was buying them and putting them in their houses wi a phone inside. lol

"Roll up Roll up. Genuine Welsh slate. Quarried in the 1800's"

"Eeeeh lad..... Where there's muck... there's munny"
                    Last edited by trubrit2411; 23 August 2019, 16:13.
                    Me

Comment

Did anyone else have a little front room in the house, that you weren't allowed in? It was kept spotless and only used if someone important visited and the best china came out.
                      Mi Grannie had a 'posh' front room where she always had Sunday afternoon tea, that apart it was only used for the rent-man, any council 'officials' and for laying bodies out in a coffin under the window for neighbours to come and have a last gander. Her Sunday teas looked great, sandwiches, always a trifle (there you go Stephen) and a jam and cream sandwich. Trouble was she never cut the jam and cream whatsit, nor could the trifle be touched they were just for show in case anyone came in, which just left a cheese butty and a cuppa tea

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
                        Mi Grannie had a 'posh' front room where she always had Sunday afternoon tea, that apart it was only used for the rent-man, any council 'officials' and for laying bodies out in a coffin under the window for neighbours to come and have a last gander. Her Sunday teas looked great, sandwiches, always a trifle (there you go Stephen) and a jam and cream sandwich. Trouble was she never cut the jam and cream whatsit, nor could the trifle be touched they were just for show in case anyone came in, which just left a cheese butty and a cuppa tea
                        Same down in the Black Country mate. For them that had the "Posh" room. We never did.
                        Me

Comment

You was pampered Dave....
                          Was they council houses or private landlords ? Or did your dad buy it ?

You could get them owd terraced houses in Wednesbury back of the Park for 500 quid in 1965. I knew a geezer used buy them like loaves. By 75 they was slum clearance. I was making beautiful polished varnished hearths out of that plum coloured Llanberis roofing slate. Me mates doing the Demo for Humphries used to let me fill me van up whenever I wanted. They were everywhere.

They were palleting them and floating them here to Ca to put on big flash repro houses. I could not believe when I got here and saw them advertised. Them and used up double decker buses.... the owd Red telephone kiosks. People was buying them and putting them in their houses wi a phone inside. lol

"Roll up Roll up. Genuine Welsh slate. Quarried in the 1800's"

"Eeeeh lad..... Where there's muck... there's munny"
                          It wuz a Corporation slum Tone, built fer the steel n cutlery workers early 1800s, one or two in our street still ad gas light. Moved out inta one o the new estates in the early 60s when thi demolished the slum areas, but norra patch on the brill atmosphere that tha found in them owd back streets weer thi wo some reight characters. Befoor gamblin became legal thi were a back street bookmaker who took bets illegally who lived just a few doors away, n I used ta earn a bit o pocket ackers by keepin a look out fer plod n gi im the wire so all the geezers waitin ta mek bets in the backyard cud fukk off smart, like the fukkin grand national wetchin em climbin over walls ta mek their escape. No one ad fukk all but allus seemed ta bi appy wi their lot, n the adventures n laffs we ad wo priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                            It wuz a Corporation slum Tone, built fer the steel n cutlery workers early 1800s, one or two in our street still ad gas light. Moved out inta one o the new estates in the early 60s when thi demolished the slum areas, but norra patch on the brill atmosphere that tha found in them owd back streets weer thi wo some reight characters. Befoor gamblin became legal thi were a back street bookmaker who took bets illegally who lived just a few doors away, n I used ta earn a bit o pocket ackers by keepin a look out fer plod n gi im the wire so all the geezers waitin ta mek bets in the backyard cud fukk off smart, like the fukkin grand national wetchin em climbin over walls ta mek their escape. No one ad fukk all but allus seemed ta bi appy wi their lot, n the adventures n laffs we ad wo priceless!
                            We had a renegade council house Booky as well Dave. Owd Billy Ward about a hundred yard down the road. I was always tekkin' me uncle jack's bets down there. Except this bloke never hid it. Everybody used to go in there. Local Copper. Local Councillor. Everybody. Nobody cared. I can remember putting a tanner on Nicolas Silver in the 1961 Grand National at 40 to 1 and winning a quid. I had never seen a quid in all me life in me own hand.....
                            Me

Comment

Here it is on Yoo Toob
                              The winner at 28 to 1 at the start....but I was in there a week early at 40 to I. I was 13. I saw that name in the Sports Argus and liked it. So our Jack backed it for me. I wish I could go back to that day..... and know what I know.......... now A quid mind you.

......Nicklaus Silver becomes the first grey to win the National since The Lamb in 1871...ridden by Bobby Beasley and trained by Fred Rimell....
                              Last edited by trubrit2411; 24 August 2019, 00:26.
                              Me

Comment

Here it is on Yoo Toob
                                The winner at 28 to 1 at the start....but I was in there a week early at 40 to I. I was 13. I saw that name in the Sports Argus and liked it. So our Jack backed it for me. I wish I could go back to that day..... and know what I know.......... now A quid mind you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgfe_gpHlnY
                                well, if you knew what you know now, you'd have put a tenner on it.
                                I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Working...
                                X