Fine body of men..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine body of men..

Rare photo this, not only caught me on camera, but also possibly the only time the greatcoat was worn since WW2. NFI on the ranges..jpg Note, the total lack of interest by all involved.
    I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Re: Fine body of men..

Wore them on the Tower. How come you had that on ? lol and whats Engineers doing with Karl Gustavs. Where you blokes trained to fight as Infantry ? If push came to shove type situation ?
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
      Wore them on the Tower. How come you had that on ? lol and whats Engineers doing with Karl Gustavs. Where you blokes trained to fight as Infantry ? If push came to shove type situation ?
      absolutely Tone, trained for all eventualities. we could cover for everything, cooks, guards, sniffer dogs, anything. Of course we did find actual soldiering a bit annoying has it interfered with our partying.
      Last edited by stephenfrank; 20 May 2017, 12:07.
      I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

when did the lads get there canadian wings? and what range were you on for a carl gustav practice. TPTP rounds or HEAT ?
        shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Bill.... Don't ask him technicalities FFS. lol He was probably rat assed drunk. Two mins after that was took he probably had the the black comb under his schnozz doing Heil Hitlers...... Or galloping around stark bollock naked.
          Me

Comment

Originally posted by billy meikle View Post
            when did the lads get there canadian wings? and what range were you on for a carl gustav practice. TPTP rounds or HEAT ?
            no idea what range we were on mate, don't recall the occasion at all, but we got our Canadian wings Sept 75. a great tour, at the end we had a few days off, so me and The Cat and Chalkie, hitch-hiked down to Salt Lake City, then across to San Francisco, unfortunately the day we arrived the police went on strike, so it was a bit dodgy on the streets. we were running a bit late getting back so we climbed onto a flatbed (carrying cars) train carriage from S F to Seattle hobo style. In fact there was an old hobo already on there, had the shock of his life when 3 Bergen's closely followed by 3 idiots suddenly climbed on-board at a railway crossing. My favourite tour.

Comment

Kin ell ! Never seen anybody in the Squadron wearing a greatcoat, looks like even old shippers has turned away in disgust. Could have been training for Brigade Weapons Week, remember that old chestnut, had to toddle round the Gobbins assault course, followed by a falling plate shoot, once some cretin broke the rear sight of my Bren, and I had to try and knock them off by fall of shot. Happy days !
              Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
                Kin ell ! Never seen anybody in the Squadron wearing a greatcoat, looks like even old shippers has turned away in disgust. Could have been training for Brigade Weapons Week, remember that old chestnut, had to toddle round the Gobbins assault course, followed by a falling plate shoot, once some cretin broke the rear sight of my Bren, and I had to try and knock them off by fall of shot. Happy days !
                I do look a bit like officer material there Bob, though I say so myself. Look like I've lost my map and trying to find my way to the Officers Mess.

Comment

Bob....I think that Greatcoat is quite becoming. Stands out. Very Somme like. There is an ancestral magnificence to it. Sort of ......Redvers Buller in October.
                  Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
                    Bob....I think that Greatcoat is quite becoming. Stands out. Very Somme like. There is an ancestral magnificence to it. Sort of ......Redvers Buller in October.
                    couldn't have put it better myself Tone.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
                      no idea what range we were on mate, don't recall the occasion at all, but we got our Canadian wings Sept 75. a great tour, at the end we had a few days off, so me and The Cat and Chalkie, hitch-hiked down to Salt Lake City, then across to San Francisco, unfortunately the day we arrived the police went on strike, so it was a bit dodgy on the streets. we were running a bit late getting back so we climbed onto a flatbed (carrying cars) train carriage from S F to Seattle hobo style. In fact there was an old hobo already on there, had the shock of his life when 3 Bergen's closely followed by 3 idiots suddenly climbed on-board at a railway crossing. My favourite tour.

when 1 para did their canada para jumps the excersise was called EX POND JUMP EAST brilliant tour right enough for us.under canvas for 4 months or so. found out the hard way i was allergic to black flies.
                      shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Originally posted by billy meikle View Post
                        when 1 para did their canada para jumps the excersise was called EX POND JUMP EAST brilliant tour right enough for us.under canvas for 4 months or so. found out the hard way i was allergic to black flies.
                        We were somewhere near Calgary. Can't recall the flies but remember we were issued live rounds on the exercise in case of grizzly bear attacks. Only saw one in the distance.

Comment

.... we were issued live rounds on the exercise in case of grizzly bear attacks. Only saw one in the distance........

Did you shoot it?
                          I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

Originally posted by KevinMoran View Post
                            .... we were issued live rounds on the exercise in case of grizzly bear attacks. Only saw one in the distance........

Did you shoot it?
                            would only shoot an animal for food Kev and we had plenty. Lots of people I wouldn't mind shooting but not animals.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
                              We were somewhere near Calgary. Can't recall the flies but remember we were issued live rounds on the exercise in case of grizzly bear attacks. Only saw one in the distance.
                              That wasn't a black bear Steve, it was Rick Mogg. Pressed the wrong button on the likes and dislike thingy, now I know Im getting old !
                              Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Working...
                              X