X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghanistan War Art. Pete Elcock

image.jpghttps://www.facebook.com/AfghanistanWarArt

186 pages with over three hundred images taken at Kandahar Airbase(KAF). I started the project in May 2010 and for the next 30 months I was able to visit most of the NATO compounds and record the Art work completed by the troops and contractors.

This Book One is my first effort. It will be support various Military Charities that I have been involved with for the last few years.

This is the link to the Hard Copy, delivery is 7-10 days by FEDEX

Browse self published books. Buy, sell and share photography books, wedding albums, portfolios and more. Find self published books as unique as you.

For those with iPads please follow this link.

Book Two is well advanced and I will have spare for Book Three. Which I hope to include Artwork from other conflicts . Iraq and N.I. If you have any old photos you would like to see in this project you can email me at..

kafrat6060@hotmail.com

Your name will be recorded with the Photo and any description that you may provide.

I will also post a few samples to taste the goods, you can also visit the books and have a FREE preview.

Many thanks to the Committee for granting permission for me to offer these review.

Regards to all

Pete Elcock.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Wishbone; 27 August 2013, 22:27.
    sigpic“ Semel insanivimus omnis” We have all been mad once.
    Jubillatum Porkus in Excretia. "hic fute ludus militorum"

Re: Afghanistan War Art. Pete Elcock

904 author main.jpg800 NAS.jpgA10 girl.jpgAirborne from Canada.jpgbetty Brimstone.jpgBlastwall junc.jpg

Comment

WEN one.jpgWEN two.jpg The review from Worcester News. Two big pages worth with a great write up.

Comment

Review by Mike pryce. Worcester News

IN a rugged land far away young British soldiers have died for a dubious cause for centuries. They’re still going down, although thankfully the number of casualties in Afghanistan is much reduced now, as the Army winds down its presence and begins to pull out. When the withdrawal is complete, it’s a fair bet the Taliban and its supporters will move in and eradicate as best they can any sign the fo...reigners were ever there.
        This will certainly mean destroying or defacing one thing the British military is particularly good at, apart from fighting, and that, surprisingly, is art. ‘War art’ as its known is found as graffiti, stencils or paintings, some of which can be extremely intricate, at almost any place a soldier has laid his hat and called home for any length of time.
        Now Pete Elcock, a former Colour Sergeant from Worcester, is publishing a book for military charities which catalogues the art the army will leave behind when it finally quits Afghanistan. Decorating all sorts of vertical surfaces from brick walls large and small to rock faces and wooden sheds, Afghan war art covers a multitude of subjects from the usual (Hollywood heroes) to the bizarre (ice cream cones) and of course girls, always girls.
        “The Taliban have history when it comes to getting rid of things,” said Pete. “They once dangled prisoners from ropes over a rock face and got them to drill holes for explosives to be planted because they didn’t like a slogan someone had painted there. They blew the rock up and there’s no doubt they’ll destroy as much of the Army’s presence as they can.”
        Today Pete lives at Rushwick, but for 30 years he was a career soldier, serving all over the world with the Parachute Regiment. He then ran the Army Recruiting Office in Worcester. He was in a safe and secure, if somewhat routine job in charge of a self-storage facility, when a call went out for former Army senior NCO’s to serve in liaison and administrative roles in Afghanistan.
        “I’d sent so many young people there during my spell in Army recruitment, I thought it was about time I went out to see for myself what the country was like,” he added. “It was an opportunity I wasn’t going to miss.”
        So Pete found himself on a plane bound for the military base at Kandahar, home to 35,000 people, of which 10,000 were contractors from a variety of countries. His role was to act as a liaison between the contractors, the British Army and NATO and he was there for two and a half eventful years.
        “In that time we must have had more than 300 rocket attacks,” he said. “I think the most was around 10 in a week and although most exploded harmlessly, sometimes one would hit the target and cause damage. I had a few that came close, but fortunately not that close.”
        The base was covered by war art and Pete began taking photographs of some of the examples that caught his eye. “Then I decided to make a more comprehensive record of what our chaps had done before the Taliban got their hands on it,” he added. “As it was, it was being eroded by the weather, explosions or gunfire.
        “You can’t really call it graffiti, because some pieces verge on works of art, but all are a reflection of the place and time. Soldiers throughout the ages have been known to decorate walls and leave their mark, so this is continuing a very long tradition.”
        His 184 page book called War:Afghanistan is packed with 304 images, most in full colour and many by a talented Australian military man who tags himself ZeroSix. However, one of the most unusual is a line drawing of a dripping ice cream cone bearing the word ConeKAF. Pete explained: “A very enterprising former paratrooper from 3 Para set up ConeKAF. In desert camouflage colours the ice cream van would roam KAF (Kandahar Air Field) and dispense cool aid to the suffering masses. It always looked strange to see a line of troops waiting for their ice creams with rifles slung over their shoulders.”
        But not for much longer now.

From the Worcester News, with thanks to Mike Pryce.

Comment

Good Evening Gents or Morning if you read this on Friday. The link as been up over two weeks and been seen by over 150 memebers. Any Comments would be gratefully accepted.

Comment

you have a lovely photograph of yourself

Comment

Working...
            X