Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 1Para

  1. #1
    Airborne Member trubrit2411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    11,446
    Post Thanks / Like
    “Politicians are not born; they are excreted.”
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

  2. Likes treeman, bob9739, Fredboss liked this post
  3. #2
    Airborne Member billy meikle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    north la-la land
    Posts
    4,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    brilliant just got a e-mail from bryan montague saying he jumped on that lake twice maybe three times. great video
    shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

  4. #3
    Airborne Member bob9739's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Birchington, Kent
    Posts
    16,506
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1Para

    Nice one Tone, cheers mate !
    Bob (geordie) Watts

  5. #4
    Airborne Member jackw102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    1,351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    Draw and fit 1 Bn RAF Lynham to Everely DZ 1990 (can you smell the avtur)


  6. #5
    Airborne Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    Quote Originally Posted by jackw102 View Post
    Draw and fit 1 Bn RAF Lynham to Everely DZ 1990 (can you smell the avtur)


    I know that I'm getting old and the memory is fading, also I know that this was a PR shoot. However when did the PJI/Despatcher start to hook up for the jumpers? I always remember hooking up for myself !!! From Hastings to C130 and a few in between. any comments?
    There is always someone watching

  7. #6
    Airborne Member trubrit2411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    11,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    We always hooked our own.
    “Politicians are not born; they are excreted.”
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

  8. #7
    Airborne Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    Quote Originally Posted by trubrit2411 View Post
    We always hooked our own.

    Check the video again at around 7 minutes 25 seconds.
    There is always someone watching

  9. #8
    Airborne Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    Quote Originally Posted by trubrit2411 View Post
    We always hooked our own.

    Check the video again at around 7 minutes 25 seconds.
    There is always someone watching

  10. #9
    Airborne Member Dave Burgess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    29,024
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    "Hook up!" or "**** up!"

  11. #10
    Airborne Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Nick View Post
    I know that I'm getting old and the memory is fading, also I know that this was a PR shoot. However when did the PJI/Despatcher start to hook up for the jumpers? I always remember hooking up for myself !!! From Hastings to C130 and a few in between. any comments?
    Yep, I jumped from Dakota and all the aircraft in between up until 1985, both a a soldier in 1 Para for 9 years and as a PJI for twice as many years, Never known the PJI to hook blokes up EXCEPT on occasion you got a lad who was fumbling and farting about and could not function properly for a short while and his fingers were not working when getting ready, very, vary rare but I have hooked them up, I have attached the hooks of their container, I have even found quick release boxes undone and straps hanging down and refitted the lad. On an ever rarer occasion have had a bloke so disorientated I have pulled them from a stick and not let them jump, on only two occasions they were pissed out of their heads, in both cases I 'damaged' some of the threads on the parachute and gave that as a reason for not letting them jump, but have had a quiet word with their CSM when we got back to warn him. Never known the PJI to hook a stick up as a matter of drill, that is bollx. also never known a PJI to open jump doors without a parachute on as these despachers seemed to do. i suspect that they were ALM's under training

  12. #11
    Airborne Member trubrit2411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    11,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Nick View Post
    Check the video again at around 7 minutes 25 seconds.
    Thats right he is actually hooking them up. Strange to see.
    “Politicians are not born; they are excreted.”
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

  13. #12
    Airborne Member jackw102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    1,351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    I wondered why they dropped the tail gate when all the sticks were lined up for door exits
    This was a reply from a ex loadie

    On big Airborne Ex when para/wedge and door bundles were dropped, the calculations for stick length timings were tortuous. The wedge went on "Red On - Cut" abeam the early marker, then there was a head/tailwind gap till "Green On" when the door bundles went, after which the troops were dispatched. The timing to the end of the DZ was calculated from the early marker but if there were still jumpers on board when "Time" was called it would take a brave despatcher to halt the stick on its way out.
    around 2001 we were experimenting with a modified SARBE. Dedicated frequencies away from the Emergency ones. These were coded and would burst transmit a GPS location over UHF. This could be picked up on the SARFIND box which listed the loads and locations. Just march with your hand held garmin and there it was.

    Probably overcomplex for a harness pack but the requirements fell out of loosing a high value load on an overseas exercise (Safe Saria)

    All the kit was disposed of to the School at St Mawgan to one of the Squipper WOs

    remember trialing various lights including some IR which would flash a code. Mocking Bird they were called and could be programmmed. The change from IR to white light was effected by putting the batteries in the other way round. Like most things of this nature they were pilfered. Apparently they were useful to the Scuba divers.

    Not sure what became of the pingers we put on boat airdrop platforms. Again that came about through having lost one.

  14. Likes downash liked this post
  15. #13
    Airborne Member bob9739's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Birchington, Kent
    Posts
    16,506
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 1Para

    Quote Originally Posted by standinthedoor View Post
    Yep, I jumped from Dakota and all the aircraft in between up until 1985, both a a soldier in 1 Para for 9 years and as a PJI for twice as many years, Never known the PJI to hook blokes up EXCEPT on occasion you got a lad who was fumbling and farting about and could not function properly for a short while and his fingers were not working when getting ready, very, vary rare but I have hooked them up, I have attached the hooks of their container, I have even found quick release boxes undone and straps hanging down and refitted the lad. On an ever rarer occasion have had a bloke so disorientated I have pulled them from a stick and not let them jump, on only two occasions they were pissed out of their heads, in both cases I 'damaged' some of the threads on the parachute and gave that as a reason for not letting them jump, but have had a quiet word with their CSM when we got back to warn him. Never known the PJI to hook a stick up as a matter of drill, that is bollx. also never known a PJI to open jump doors without a parachute on as these despachers seemed to do. i suspect that they were ALM's under training

    Ron, did you ever come across a bloke called Ifor Anthony, he was my old SSM in 9 Sqn, he had PJI wings up. Good old lad strict but fair ended up as a half colonel. Unfortunately now deceased ?
    Bob (geordie) Watts

  16. #14
    Airborne Member trubrit2411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    11,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    Quote Originally Posted by jackw102 View Post
    I wondered why they dropped the tail gate when all the sticks were lined up for door exits
    This was a reply from a ex loadie

    On big Airborne Ex when para/wedge and door bundles were dropped, the calculations for stick length timings were tortuous. The wedge went on "Red On - Cut" abeam the early marker, then there was a head/tailwind gap till "Green On" when the door bundles went, after which the troops were dispatched. The timing to the end of the DZ was calculated from the early marker but if there were still jumpers on board when "Time" was called it would take a brave despatcher to halt the stick on its way out.
    around 2001 we were experimenting with a modified SARBE. Dedicated frequencies away from the Emergency ones. These were coded and would burst transmit a GPS location over UHF. This could be picked up on the SARFIND box which listed the loads and locations. Just march with your hand held garmin and there it was.

    Probably overcomplex for a harness pack but the requirements fell out of loosing a high value load on an overseas exercise (Safe Saria)

    All the kit was disposed of to the School at St Mawgan to one of the Squipper WOs

    remember trialing various lights including some IR which would flash a code. Mocking Bird they were called and could be programmmed. The change from IR to white light was effected by putting the batteries in the other way round. Like most things of this nature they were pilfered. Apparently they were useful to the Scuba divers.

    Not sure what became of the pingers we put on boat airdrop platforms. Again that came about through having lost one.
    Bloody hell Jack...sounds dead testicle.... I am well impressed mate. It was all I could do to make a bed block.
    “Politicians are not born; they are excreted.”
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

  17. #15
    Airborne Member jackw102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    1,351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    "sounds dead testicle.... I am well impressed mate. It was all I could do to make a bed block. "

    after my time I only kicked door bundles out then followed them. That info is from a ex RAF loadmaster

  18. #16
    Airborne Member downash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    night drop on everley coming in on a back right landing.knocked out.
    came to with sgt barry longbottom kicking me in the head saying stop ****in about & get to the r.v.,..nice!!.

  19. #17
    Airborne Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    Quote Originally Posted by bob9739 View Post
    Ron, did you ever come across a bloke called Ifor Anthony, he was my old SSM in 9 Sqn, he had PJI wings up. Good old lad strict but fair ended up as a half colonel. Unfortunately now deceased ?
    Bob, name 'Ifor Anthony'rings a bell, but at my age it is all becoming dingaling now. Think he would have had hid APJI wings up for time he must have done with TA. Had some excellent APJI's, used to run their courses at Brize.

  20. #18
    BAFC Verification Officer Don the Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    10,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 1Para

    Ron, Ifor Anthony was SSM9, then became RSM at the Training Regiment.
    "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. C/Sgt Roy Hallas 1Para
    By Don the Mod in forum The Final RV
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 15th April 2014, 09:04
  2. 1Para Mortars (early 70.s)
    By archiedavies43 in forum Pictures
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 28th May 2012, 22:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •