• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1Para

"If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Re: 1Para

brilliant just got a e-mail from bryan montague saying he jumped on that lake twice maybe three times. great video
    shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Nice one Tone, cheers mate !
      Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Draw and fit 1 Bn RAF Lynham to Everely DZ 1990 (can you smell the avtur)

Comment

Originally posted by jackw102 View Post
          Draw and fit 1 Bn RAF Lynham to Everely DZ 1990 (can you smell the avtur)

I know that I'm getting old and the memory is fading, also I know that this was a PR shoot. However when did the PJI/Despatcher start to hook up for the jumpers? I always remember hooking up for myself !!! From Hastings to C130 and a few in between. any comments?
          There is always someone watching

Comment

We always hooked our own.
            Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post

Check the video again at around 7 minutes 25 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post

Comment

"Hook up!" or "**** up!"

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Nick View Post
                    I know that I'm getting old and the memory is fading, also I know that this was a PR shoot. However when did the PJI/Despatcher start to hook up for the jumpers? I always remember hooking up for myself !!! From Hastings to C130 and a few in between. any comments?
                    Yep, I jumped from Dakota and all the aircraft in between up until 1985, both a a soldier in 1 Para for 9 years and as a PJI for twice as many years, Never known the PJI to hook blokes up EXCEPT on occasion you got a lad who was fumbling and farting about and could not function properly for a short while and his fingers were not working when getting ready, very, vary rare but I have hooked them up, I have attached the hooks of their container, I have even found quick release boxes undone and straps hanging down and refitted the lad. On an ever rarer occasion have had a bloke so disorientated I have pulled them from a stick and not let them jump, on only two occasions they were pissed out of their heads, in both cases I 'damaged' some of the threads on the parachute and gave that as a reason for not letting them jump, but have had a quiet word with their CSM when we got back to warn him. Never known the PJI to hook a stick up as a matter of drill, that is bollx. also never known a PJI to open jump doors without a parachute on as these despachers seemed to do. i suspect that they were ALM's under training

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Nick View Post
                      Thats right he is actually hooking them up. Strange to see.
                      Me

Comment

I wondered why they dropped the tail gate when all the sticks were lined up for door exits
                        This was a reply from a ex loadie

On big Airborne Ex when para/wedge and door bundles were dropped, the calculations for stick length timings were tortuous. The wedge went on "Red On - Cut" abeam the early marker, then there was a head/tailwind gap till "Green On" when the door bundles went, after which the troops were dispatched. The timing to the end of the DZ was calculated from the early marker but if there were still jumpers on board when "Time" was called it would take a brave despatcher to halt the stick on its way out.
                        around 2001 we were experimenting with a modified SARBE. Dedicated frequencies away from the Emergency ones. These were coded and would burst transmit a GPS location over UHF. This could be picked up on the SARFIND box which listed the loads and locations. Just march with your hand held garmin and there it was.

Probably overcomplex for a harness pack but the requirements fell out of loosing a high value load on an overseas exercise (Safe Saria)

All the kit was disposed of to the School at St Mawgan to one of the Squipper WOs

remember trialing various lights including some IR which would flash a code. Mocking Bird they were called and could be programmmed. The change from IR to white light was effected by putting the batteries in the other way round. Like most things of this nature they were pilfered. Apparently they were useful to the Scuba divers.

Not sure what became of the pingers we put on boat airdrop platforms. Again that came about through having lost one.

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
                          Yep, I jumped from Dakota and all the aircraft in between up until 1985, both a a soldier in 1 Para for 9 years and as a PJI for twice as many years, Never known the PJI to hook blokes up EXCEPT on occasion you got a lad who was fumbling and farting about and could not function properly for a short while and his fingers were not working when getting ready, very, vary rare but I have hooked them up, I have attached the hooks of their container, I have even found quick release boxes undone and straps hanging down and refitted the lad. On an ever rarer occasion have had a bloke so disorientated I have pulled them from a stick and not let them jump, on only two occasions they were pissed out of their heads, in both cases I 'damaged' some of the threads on the parachute and gave that as a reason for not letting them jump, but have had a quiet word with their CSM when we got back to warn him. Never known the PJI to hook a stick up as a matter of drill, that is bollx. also never known a PJI to open jump doors without a parachute on as these despachers seemed to do. i suspect that they were ALM's under training

Ron, did you ever come across a bloke called Ifor Anthony, he was my old SSM in 9 Sqn, he had PJI wings up. Good old lad strict but fair ended up as a half colonel. Unfortunately now deceased ?
                          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by jackw102 View Post
                            I wondered why they dropped the tail gate when all the sticks were lined up for door exits
                            This was a reply from a ex loadie

On big Airborne Ex when para/wedge and door bundles were dropped, the calculations for stick length timings were tortuous. The wedge went on "Red On - Cut" abeam the early marker, then there was a head/tailwind gap till "Green On" when the door bundles went, after which the troops were dispatched. The timing to the end of the DZ was calculated from the early marker but if there were still jumpers on board when "Time" was called it would take a brave despatcher to halt the stick on its way out.
                            around 2001 we were experimenting with a modified SARBE. Dedicated frequencies away from the Emergency ones. These were coded and would burst transmit a GPS location over UHF. This could be picked up on the SARFIND box which listed the loads and locations. Just march with your hand held garmin and there it was.

Probably overcomplex for a harness pack but the requirements fell out of loosing a high value load on an overseas exercise (Safe Saria)

All the kit was disposed of to the School at St Mawgan to one of the Squipper WOs

remember trialing various lights including some IR which would flash a code. Mocking Bird they were called and could be programmmed. The change from IR to white light was effected by putting the batteries in the other way round. Like most things of this nature they were pilfered. Apparently they were useful to the Scuba divers.

Not sure what became of the pingers we put on boat airdrop platforms. Again that came about through having lost one.
                            Bloody hell Jack...sounds dead testicle.... I am well impressed mate. It was all I could do to make a bed block.
                            Me

Comment

"sounds dead testicle.... I am well impressed mate. It was all I could do to make a bed block. "

after my time I only kicked door bundles out then followed them. That info is from a ex RAF loadmaster

Comment

Working...
                              X