No announcement yet.

RIP Big Del Anderson (RGJ and 10 Para)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Big Del Anderson (RGJ and 10 Para)

Big Del Anderson, who served with the regulars in the RGJ and later as a Corporal with 4 Coy, 10 Para in the early 1980s, lost his two-year fight with cancer the other day. He was a gentle giant who was very well-liked by his mates. He's the huge man in the middle of the back row of the above snap taken during Operation Lionheart in 1984.

Mind you, he could swing a punch if he had to, like the time when some Hat butted one of his lads in the face with a GPMG on an exercise. Del obliterated the Hat with one jab and it took two strong men to haul him off.

In the days when we still had tin lids, his had a dent across the front. He'd tell people it was from not ducking as he went through the door. He was that big. In fact, he was so massive that the RAF sent him away from Brize two or three times before the Colonel, wanting ex-Regulars, wrote them a terse letter and Big Del finally earned his wings. You can probably still find the holes on Hankley and Fox Covert where he hit the ground.

Who could forget the stunned expressions on the faces of still-puny recruits as he held GPMGs out at straight arm's length, explaining the finer points of the weapon to them?

And his "Zulu Dawn Dance", performed on the final advance to contact with hapless "Blue Forces" units (Ah yes, we were always the Ivans and always under orders to lose, festooned with fluorescent orange ribbons and patches to help the Hats see us in time), was legendary, with that booming base voice: "Oooooooohhh Aaaaahhh HA! Oooooooohhh Aaaaahhh HA!...". I think it was the Honourable Artillery Company, who took themselves for the SAS, who rose up as one and legged it away into the mists of Salisbury Plain on one occasion.

Priceless...

I shared a basher under the rain with him on more than one occasion because he liked my char - I usually brought serious, heavy Indian tea with me and cans of Carnation for that tea wallah taste - even though I was also fairly broad (4th to his right) and we ended up wetter than strictly necessary cos they didn't do rain capes in Size Huge. This was before we discovered Gortex bivvy bags or, to be more precise, were able to afford Survival Aids' prices for them.

His son Bradley says that anyone who knew him is more than welcome at his funeral on June 12th. He'll be in BC Baker & Son, 15-17 High Street, Town Centre, CR3 5UE (Croydon, South London) for a day or so beforehand and the funeral service will be at 2 pm at St John's Church, Clareville Road, Caterham, Surry CR3 6LAm followed by the burial at 3 pm by St Nicholas' Church, Church Lane, Godstone, Surrey RH9 8BW, with a reception at The Bell Inn at 128 High Street, Godstone.

I imagine the family would be touched if former airborne men happened to drop by to see Del off to the final RV.

PK
    Prosper Keating
    ex-10 Para (4 Coy & Sigs Pln)
    1982 - 1993

Re: RIP Big Del Anderson (RGJ and 10 Para)

R I P Del.

Comment

R.I.P. Del
      Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

R.I.P. Big Del, my sincere condolences to your family & friends.
        "Whilst drinking from the well, never forget those that dug the well"

Comment

RIP Del.

Comment

Rest in Peace airborne brother
            Ad Unum Omnes
            webmaster@thebritishairborneforcesclub.co.uk
            ericthered@cv6.co.uk
            ex C Coy 1 Para
            Private what are doing here? reply: everyone has to be somewhere! (the late great Spike Milliigan)

Comment

Sounds like a great guy (to have on your side) Hope he´s found some peace now...

Comment

R.I.P. Del Airborne Brother

Comment

Rest in Eternal Del; Airborne Brother.
                  Thoughts and Prayers are with his Family and Friends

Bill

Comment

RIP Big man
                    Politics is war without blood ..... War is politics with blood

Comment

RIP.
                      2 Para Pal,6 plt B.Coy. Sounds good to me.

Comment

RIP
                        I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

R.I.P. Del

Comment

R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                            X