Malaya from 57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Malaya from 57

I don't know what their called Pat, just glad they were with us.
    I can still feel the atmosphere, heat, the jungle sounds, and the adrenalin rush.
    Can you imagine?
    Most of the kids that experienced that school of adventure, now days do not say much
    as its hard for those who were never there to comprehend.
    I guess its a bit like some of you lads who went down south, hard to explain things
    that some of us can only imagine, albeit we all had the same training.

A few more;
    Attached Files
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
    A Great Civilization is not Conquered from without
    Until it has destroyed itself from within
    W.Durant

Comment

some more, these photo's were taken approx 53-56
      Some who risked and lost their lives, protecting us school kids.
      Attached Files
      W.Durant

Comment

Some BRILL pics there John!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD View Post
          Not all mine Dave, I wouldn't claim photo's that aint mine. But compiled from some other pupils that attended at the same time
          as myself, and also have the permission to copy.
          That Video that my dad took as a front passenger in the Rover, was passed around of late,

and it gave good memories to some so far.
          I don't believe there is any other film, from that time travelling up to the school.
          I was in the back, which took 4 hours, one could say contour driving, and although my dad tried to reassure me that everything was ok,
          having a 9mm in the front.
          I can recall that every corner we turned, I cringed, believing there could possibly be an ambush.
          Three times prior to that vid, and I was 15 there, both my mother and myself from 1951 were attacked by gun fire, that was
          when my dad was in the Malayan police, and we lived in Campongs, or near them. (that part is kept under wraps for now).

I have been registered in Slim from late 1957- 61. Prior I was in Malaya from 51, but only went to the school of life.

A little more history on Malaya and the troops found on this old film, which could be shown at the end, as well as on going debate
          apart the the figures to compare the Malayan conflict with Vietnam. I found it really interesting, when perhaps some will not.

First up- The train which took us up and down Malaya, before embarking and debarking at the Tapa station (below the highlands)
          Then the journey begins. The train (not sure if its this one) that a few years earlier, was attacked at the time I believe when my dad wore the red beret.
          If that ain't ambush country I don't know what is. Those squaddies must have been a bit tense.... Like half a crown sixpence tense.
          A quick couple of bursts from a dozen blokes and POOF.
          Melt away into the ulu like ghosts. Must have been bloody nerve wracking.
          "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
          Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
            If that ain't ambush country I don't know what is. Those squaddies must have been a bit tense.... Like half a crown sixpence tense.
            A quick couple of bursts from a dozen blokes and POOF.
            Melt away into the ulu like ghosts. Must have been bloody nerve wracking.
            Tony your absolutely correct in every respect of your comment.
            Thought I would put this old film on, (it does jump a bit) as this is one closest to what I remember, and showing what these old soldiers had to put up with.
            At the time of this film I was 5yr my dad being in the police,
            and remember going on visits with my parents to Rubber planters and tin miners estates, and them making visits to us.
            From a newsreel reportage of 1952. Two more instalments to come.See my other 1150 clips by searching YouTube with 'michael rogge playlists'.Website 'Man and ...

Could this be Jungle training from 11?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by HappyJack; 20 January 2015, 11:40.
            W.Durant

Comment

Enjoying reading this post, with a lot of good pics, did the Butcher threaten to cut your welt off John !
              Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
                Enjoying reading this post, with a lot of good pics, did the Butcher threaten to cut your welt off John !
                Thanks Bob, a lot more to come, which will hopefully form a good sort of scenario of them times.
                No Bob, on the other hand, I also believe that any bearded men, have something to hide.

These guns were fired over the school buildings for protection from the CT's. (I guess a bit like DFSOS scenario).
                I was told on one occasion that a shell burst above a classroom.
                Attached Files
                W.Durant

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD View Post
                  Tony your absolutely correct in every respect of your comment.
                  Thought I would put this old film on, (it does jump a bit) as this is one closest to what I remember, and showing what these old soldiers had to put up with.
                  At the time of this film I was 5yr my dad being in the police,
                  and remember going on visits with my parents to Rubber planters and tin miners estates, and them making visits to us.
                  From a newsreel reportage of 1952. Two more instalments to come.See my other 1150 clips by searching YouTube with 'michael rogge playlists'.Website 'Man and ...

Could this be Jungle training from 11?
                  Great video. Never realised the number of different weapons that were used out there. I spotted Bren, No4 Lee Enfield, ( but strangely no No 5s), US M1 carbines, Owen SMG . Must have been a nightmare logistically with so many different types of ammo
                  Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
                  Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Comment

Owen SMG. is that an Australian weapon by any chance ?
                    Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Yes, fairly distinctive with the magazine on top as opposed to out the side like the sten/sterling/patchett. Was replaced with the similar F1 during the 60s in the Australian army.
                      Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many!

You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
                      Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Comment

Great posts John! Remember I want a signed copy when the book is published!

Comment

You will be first Dave
                          As for jungle trek or bashing, next to show how it was done.
                          Or should I say, none tactical.
                          But look what we were wearing, it was real kit given to us from the RASC, as was our rations / meals in school.
                          No guns, but parangs and sheath knifes are ok.
                          Attached Files
                          W.Durant

Comment

The assistant head Capt ''Tucker'' RM, to whom we gave an appropriate nickname.
                            Looks like hes just about to cut the lads dick off.
                            We used to go on jungle treck's up in the mountains, and even being young and fit, it was knackering.
                            Myself with some other friend, at the time I still spoke Malay.
                            The rockpool as we called it, where we used to go swimming, although it was forbidden.
                            I guess because of the dead animals that used to float down.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by HappyJack; 21 January 2015, 12:56.
                            W.Durant

Comment

Good old pics there John, you must have been sweating your bollocks off wearing a tie mate ?
                              Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
                                Good old pics there John, you must have been sweating your bollocks off wearing a tie mate ?
                                Actually Bob, up the highlands it was quite cool, evenings quite cold.
                                Some injured troops even from the 40's, used to be sent to the BMH in the highlands because it was cooler than the low lands.
                                The swimming pool we had, was basically a water tank, shown here.
                                Spent most of my off time in it, but it was bruddy freezing.
                                Attached Files
                                W.Durant

Comment

Working...
                                X