Late on Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late on Parade

Good to be back amongst friends, and thanks to BillS for reminding me where I should be
    Gil

Re: Late on Parade

WELCOME BACK GIL, fan dance [ YES} HOPE SO.

Comment

How's the hips Gil?
      "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Welcome back Gil, I haven't seen you since ....... Saturday
        Politics is war without blood ..... War is politics with blood

Comment

Welcome back Gil
          Ad Unum Omnes
          webmaster@thebritishairborneforcesclub.co.uk
          ericthered@cv6.co.uk
          ex C Coy 1 Para
          Private what are doing here? reply: everyone has to be somewhere! (the late great Spike Milliigan)

Comment

Welcome back Gil - or should I say Gucci Boots ?

Comment

Welcome Gil, well done BillS.....Boris you went awol early !!! all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the Mod View Post
                How's the hips Gil?
                that's a bit mortarish Don, next thing you'll be inquiring into the state of his buttocks. welcome back Gil.
                I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Nice to see you, to see you nice
                  Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

Nice to see you on here Gil, you've got to do many more posts,
                    before you can have the avatar changed to a fixed lines GPMG.
                    Last edited by HappyJack; 4 March 2014, 18:45.
                    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
                    A Great Civilization is not Conquered from without
                    Until it has destroyed itself from within
                    W.Durant

Comment

Missed you lot of reprobates............no offence to the Chairman of course (Probats) .
                      Boris you have seen the scars mate first hand along with the whole of Blackpool. Now back to my old 6 foot instead of 5'!!"
                      As far as the Fan goes, I am going with my lad in a couple of months when the muscles have got their act together and will see how that goes, but slowly slowly at the moment. They reckon a year will do it, so more than likely next year with you lot.

Now John, I was told by a little bird, that my previous post numbers counted......clearly not.....oh well CROW is what I am got to know your place in life lol

Comment

Welcome back Gil,with all that spare time that you have had is there anymore right ups about some more airborne warriors?
                        It's not the dog in the fight,it's the fight in the dog that matters.

Comment

Rab,
                          Yes mate, just finished the true story of the Battle for Plaman Mapu in Borneo where 34 men of 6 Plt B Company 2 PARA fought off just over 1000 Indonesians with two lads killed in a mortar pit and several wounded.

It has so often been inaccurately written up on Britains Small Wars and Wikipedia, that someone needed to get it right, for OUR Regimental history, and update ParaData and amend accordingly.
                          So often Patch Williams story has been the only one telling the story, but lads who were elsewhere on the location saw other things that then fill in the gaps, so.................

I interviewed a mortar man SP COY and three riflemen from 6 Platoon last week at Blackpool, and hope to take them back to Plaman Mapu next year, the 50th anniversary and build a cairn to those who died there, and perhaps try once more for a 2 PARA Battle Honour.

It is something I have wanted to get to the bottom of for many years, and it is only when the Major in charge of the Battalion of 1000 men came to Sandhurst 10 years later for an Officers British Military training package as part of the Hearts and minds programme of re education by HMG, and whilst there he admitted the true strength of his force that night.
                          He had to say he threw a company strength at our lads and lie for many years, because he did not achieve the aim to take Plaman Mapu, but he told his President Sakarno a pack of lies, otherwise he would have been killed on the spot.
                          Last edited by Guest; 6 March 2014, 17:02.

Comment

Gil, if my posts counted from the previous times, my avatar would probably be a wombat.....lol.

I remember the lads when they came back from Borneo, and some of the plts were re adjusted.
                            Most went into 4 plt hence the term for 4 plt as "the old sweats plt".
                            I was one of the lucky ones to be initially transferred from 6 plt to 4 plt.
                            Basically from the first months of my transfer into 2 para, and I am still in correspondence with a few of them to this day.

Story's I had heard was of course different to what was written, like you say in Britains Small Wars etc.
                            I for one am extremely pleased that you have been on the case, to put up the truth and prospective of those on the ground.
                            Excellent work Gil, I cannot wait to read up on the lads real story's.
                            Last edited by HappyJack; 6 March 2014, 17:33.
                            Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
                            A Great Civilization is not Conquered from without
                            Until it has destroyed itself from within
                            W.Durant

Comment

Once the lads have agreed its true content, I will let Eric decide what to do with it, as it shows a lot of photos in colour of the location so readers can see what a shithole it was to defend.
                              Proud of all those in 6 Platoon who were there that day, even though they brushed all the shit down to 5plt then down to us on the ground floor......"Oh no not that old chestnut I hear you all saying lol"

There are men there that day like George A...... Mortars, who should have got an MM for what he did with his barrel/tripod, and others never spoken about before like the attached ACC chef, who for the first time continually put Para Illume's up during the battle and got wounded for his trouble
                              Last edited by Guest; 6 March 2014, 17:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X