Out and about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Out and about

I think I would rather tab that. You would not want to do that after a hard night on the lash

I had a narrow squeak in Arizona on the scenic route into Prescott going over the mountains. Was on me way to see a bird, One o' clock in the morning going over this snakey mountain road in a Chevy flatbed I fell asleep at the wheel.. Just nodded off. The truck wandered to the right and I hit a trafiic sign on a three inch steel pole, with a bang, which woke me up real quick. It scraped all down the side of the toolboxes and ripped off the Padlocks hasps and staples and helped catapult the truck back into the right hand lane. i got out in the pitch black and looked at it but could not see what happened till daybreak in Prescott. It was no big deal. It was a scruffy owd truck any way.
    On the Sunday afternoon I decided to look at the damage I had done to the road sign on the way back The sign was warning about a 250 foot drop straight down. Maybe ten degrees less than upright. If it had not been there I would have sailed right over at thirty miles an hour. into a dense pine forest and oblivion. I would have woke up doing Heavy Drop without 'chutes. My bones would be there now. Gives me the willies even now, when I think about it.

Smokey Smith knows that road. I think he came out of Prescott over the Scenic Route on the way from the grand canyon when he was here.

Driving the Ultima GTR from Wilhoit to Prescott on the way to a car show in Prescott Arizona. Camera is mounted above the windscreen in front of the roof scoop.

I think the lay by at .38 / .39 is the place I see there is no replacement sign. It could be the next cliff face though, They both look the same. Very sobering looking over the edge on Sunday afternoon. As you can see it nothing like that monster jack posted,and theres plenty of roads like this in Snowdonia and such, but its no place to fall asleep at the wheel. It is a beautiful drive though.
    Long way to go for a promise. I must bin out of my mind.
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 25 August 2014, 01:09.
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

Might be a good idea to fit the truck with a heavy drop chute, but don't use the RAFs automatic release device. Still have visions of our land rover being written off at Watchfield when it failed to work !
      Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Bob I am getting mixed up with this vid there are part one and two. I have lost me near death experience some how

Thats it corrected. Right time wrong vid. Ah well.

here another one Jack
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGA3qXQs1wE
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4PVeqj2Nqg
        Last edited by trubrit2411; 25 August 2014, 01:17.
        Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
          I think I would rather tab that. You would not want to do that after a hard night on the lash

I had a narrow squeak in Arizona on the scenic route into Prescott going over the mountains. Was on me way to see a bird, One o' clock in the morning going over this snakey mountain road in a Chevy flatbed I fell asleep at the wheel.. Just nodded off. The truck wandered to the right and I hit a trafiic sign on a three inch steel pole, with a bang, which woke me up real quick. It scraped all down the side of the toolboxes and ripped off the Padlocks hasps and staples and helped catapult the truck back into the right hand lane. i got out in the pitch black and looked at it but could not see what happened till daybreak in Prescott. It was no big deal. It was a scruffy owd truck any way.
          On the Sunday afternoon I decided to look at the damage I had done to the road sign on the way back The sign was warning about a 250 foot drop straight down. Maybe ten degrees less than upright. If it had not been there I would have sailed right over at thirty miles an hour. into a dense pine forest and oblivion. I would have woke up doing Heavy Drop without 'chutes. My bones would be there now. Gives me the willies even now, when I think about it.

Smokey Smith knows that road. I think he came out of Prescott over the Scenic Route on the way from the grand canyon when he was here.

Driving the Ultima GTR from Wilhoit to Prescott on the way to a car show in Prescott Arizona. Camera is mounted above the windscreen in front of the roof scoop.

I think the lay by at .38 / .39 is the place I see there is no replacement sign. It could be the next cliff face though, They both look the same. Very sobering looking over the edge on Sunday afternoon. As you can see it nothing like that monster jack posted,and theres plenty of roads like this in Snowdonia and such, but its no place to fall asleep at the wheel. It is a beautiful drive though.
          Long way to go for a promise. I must bin out of my mind.

I drove it mid morning Tone, brilliant drive, Jean was stamping an imaginary foot brake lol, stopped at a diner once down on the flatlands at the bottom, the guy in the diner told us there had been 3 kids go over the edge 2 nights before in a pick up, yep a brilliant drive but one long straight boring road at the bottom that seemed to go on forever. Hope your wel mate.
          "Whilst drinking from the well, never forget those that dug the well"

Comment

early august went on a rock hunting trip to northern California and Oregon visited steens mountain almost 10 K ft high.trouble typing so iwil post some pics of the glacier cuts in the mountain stayed at frenchglen cannot post pictures !!! will try again later
            shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

trying again to post pictures

Comment

Don knows the secrets of posting pics on this site Billy

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                  I drove it mid morning Tone, brilliant drive, Jean was stamping an imaginary foot brake lol, stopped at a diner once down on the flatlands at the bottom, the guy in the diner told us there had been 3 kids go over the edge 2 nights before in a pick up, yep a brilliant drive but one long straight boring road at the bottom that seemed to go on forever. Hope your wel mate.
                  Still cracking on Smokey had a bit of trouble with the old lungs there, with the old pneumonia, but they seem to be on the mend. Know what you mean about that stretch once you come out of the hills down on to the desert floor. Bet it was hovering around 110 to 115 degrees when you crossed it at that time of the year .It goes on for ever lol .Bloody shock after the cool 95 up in Prescott.
                  Me

Comment

Originally posted by billy meikle View Post
                    trying again to post pictures
                    trying IMG_0958.jpgIMG_0955.jpgIMG_0953.jpgIMG_0928.jpgIMG_0958.jpg

Comment

looks like firefox does the trick i even found out is is standard on my puter >>>>

Comment

Originally posted by billy meikle View Post
                        trying [ATTACH=CONFIG]5754[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5753[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5752[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5751[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5754[/ATTACH]
                        that is ICE at the summit approx 10k ft the area reminds me of scotland temp at the summit 45n temp at the playa 90 woell worth the trip to steens mountain oregon, next big trip iceland and scotland
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looking at that Billy, takes me back to the four peaks competition mate, one of which was Ben Nevis. At the bottom it was a great summer day plus midgies, at the summit it was like the retreat from Russia. and there was some daft buggers running round in leotards and training shoes, I blame the organisers for allowing it because if one of those idiots had an injury, apart from somebody having to cart him back down, he could have ended up dead with exposure. But being a charity organised event, they don't think of things like that !
                          Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

yes bob very much like scotland places like the isle of skye very pretty, remote and potentially deadly.

Comment

Pretty,remote,and potentially deadly.Sounds like a pissed off woman!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
                                Pretty,remote,and potentially deadly.Sounds like a pissed off woman!
                                yes pat a few on here can vouch for that for sure...."hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"

Comment

Working...
                                X