Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Musketeer

Suez

In November 1956, Britain, France and Israel launched a co-ordinated invasion of Egypt to seize control of the strategic waterway known as the Suez Canal. In...
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Re: Operation Musketeer

He missed out 1 Para .

Comment

I was a young lad of 16 when that took place,The British Army once more rubber dicked by politicians !
      Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Para Drummer I always thought it was 2 AND 3 only. I had no idea any 1 Para blokes was involved.
        Me

Comment

Prior to 1961, the Airborne Gunnery Regiment was 33rd Parachute Artillery Regiment. For whatever reason, this then became 7th Parachute Regiment RHA. When I joined 7 RHA in 1962, there were lads there who were in Suez with 33rd. I can recall listening to some of their tales at the time. There were also lads with Korean War medal ribbons. Myself and other youngsters were just too dumb to take much notice of what they had been through.

Comment

3Para was tasked with doing enemy for Sandhurst Officer Cadets out of Imber Village 68 I think. Exercise Busaco Ridge it was called if I remember right.Reason I remember it was those Cadets were under the impression 3Para..... Especially the Anti Tanks, savaged them. Uneccessary brutality and all that nonsense. There was a bit of puffing and blowing and an enquiry was held, but in between taking it turns to torture them in various ways like snatch patrols and interrogation.... We was brewing and Swinging the Lantern in those Imber Houses.....(and signing the walls)
            Remember one night four Sergeants, all sitting around talking about that Suez Lob including our own 5 Pltn three striped God Chick Hulston. It fascinated me. History lesson in the making. One bloke said he was advancing toward the airfield and they stopped for a quick sit rep. Later on ...Just as they approached the runway he realised he had left the Range Finder behind at the sit rep locale. He said he shit himself because they cost thousands of quid. He told the Major, and waited for the eruption, and it was just, "Press On !!!!!!. Nobody said a word. Not then and not after they pasted the Egyptians.
            Last edited by trubrit2411; 24 June 2019, 03:12.
            Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
              Para Drummer I always thought it was 2 AND 3 only. I had no idea any 1 Para blokes was involved.
              They were there alright , via landing craft , including the well known Nobby , our provo sergeant , and RSM "BUCKET" Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by paradrummer View Post
                They were there alright , via landing craft , including the well known Nobby , our provo sergeant , and RSM "BUCKET" Lawrence
                Yes! And Bucket copped an Arab wearing the full length robe walking near a beach, lifted his robes up and army uniform underneath, poor bastard was put away by a Sgt who was carrying a German WW2 Schmeizer sub-machine gun.

Comment

A mate of mine was there Charlie Huggins 9 squadron he passed away many years ago

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
                    Yes! And Bucket copped an Arab wearing the full length robe walking near a beach, lifted his robes up and army uniform underneath, poor bastard was put away by a Sgt who was carrying a German WW2 Schmeizer sub-machine gun.
                    Wig.... I bet a ton of those blokes were WW II 'ers. They would be right experienced, ruthless bastrds an all ....
                    Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
                      Wig.... I bet a ton of those blokes were WW II 'ers. They would be right experienced, ruthless bastrds an all ....
                      They were, and prisoners slow you up, today the prisoners would be given a legal aid lawyer by our government

Comment

Working...
                      X