Old D Day Soldiers.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old D Day Soldiers.....

I have been watching the D day 75 all week with great interest. The vets stories stood out them being 19-20 years old and not knowing what to expect.

Today is trooping the colour

Comment

Smart turnout from them woodentops taday Jack, n not one stretchered off!

Comment

Dave I like watching but not indulging in being on parade

Comment

Dave,
          There was one lad who fainted on his horse just as he was about to go past HM, he was stretchered off poor lad and his horse led away. Listened to the RAMC Major afterwards they have started a new policy of making soldiers take more salt and less of a big fry up before the parade as in the old days, as the stomach takes all the attention and the brain and other parts of the body take nothing, making lads faint.
          I did notice three more change arms and stand at ease's put in, so it must be a big thing nowadays to try and stop people collapsing.

Good job they never came to Rushmoor arena for the Colours Parade in 1974. We had all been on the piss until 3 in the morning before the parade, but at least we kept the lads who were worse for ware standing upright ha ha! It was like the Wooden Horse film where a dummy was held by those either side

Comment

Did,nt see that Gil. A bullshitting bastard like me wudda used the excuse that the sight of HM med mi swoon with ecstacy and I lost control of my senses.

Comment

Originally posted by Gil View Post
              Dave,
              There was one lad who fainted on his horse just as he was about to go past HM, he was stretchered off poor lad and his horse led away. Listened to the RAMC Major afterwards they have started a new policy of making soldiers take more salt and less of a big fry up before the parade as in the old days, as the stomach takes all the attention and the brain and other parts of the body take nothing, making lads faint.
              I did notice three more change arms and stand at ease's put in, so it must be a big thing nowadays to try and stop people collapsing.

Good job they never came to Rushmoor arena for the Colours Parade in 1974. We had all been on the piss until 3 in the morning before the parade, but at least we kept the lads who were worse for ware standing upright ha ha! It was like the Wooden Horse film where a dummy was held by those either side

Love it. I bet they could smell the Guinness belches farts and fumes from Queens Ave.
              "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
              Me

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                Did,nt see that Gil. A bullshitting bastard like me wudda used the excuse that the sight of HM med mi swoon with ecstacy and I lost control of my senses.
                Here you go Dave. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/925021...eens-birthday/

Comment

That,s that poor fukkers chances o bein on future Birthday Honours lists fukked then. Mine wo scuppered years agu when lobbin from owd Argosy, Queens Inspection early 67 I landed like a bag o shite on the tank tracks in front of a much younger Liz n Phil n scowlin Farrah The Para!

Comment

He was a Major who fell off his horse and the horse landed on him, unconscious on recovery and still not well. No doubt someone will have it recorded and it'll go up on Youtube!
                    Last edited by Gil; 9 June 2019, 11:38.

Comment

He was a Major who fell off his horse and the horse landed on him, unconscious on recovery and still not well. No doubt someone will have it recorded and it'll go up on Youtube!
                      https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...-soldier-falls
                      I've put it up above Gil, although it's from a long distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                        That,s that poor fukkers chances o bein on future Birthday Honours lists fukked then. Mine wo scuppered years agu when lobbin from owd Argosy, Queens Inspection early 67 I landed like a bag o shite on the tank tracks in front of a much younger Liz n Phil n scowlin Farrah The Para!
                        Were those Tank Tracks a rough as they normally were Dave ?.... There must have been a few shagged up knees and ankles. Or did 9 Sqdn gallop to the rescue and flatten it all before hand ?
                        "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                        Me

Comment

I allus landed like a bag o shite Tone, even on a pair o bare tits, but the lads who landed in the tees came off worse.

Comment

Dave,

we were told to keep clenching the cheeks of our arse and wiggling our toes .............nice

Comment

gonna try to put pics up good i dunnit remember my post about Normandy pilgrimage ? well heres one of the old coach driverby the sign of Breviile its full name was breville sur monts it was on high ground up the road from Ranville as a result it was flattend the length of the high st. gerry made sure all the fighting was hard but this one was patricularly nasty ,a lot of men died taking this village.

other picture is of the Farmer whose orchard the tall bloke was in when mortared. the other is the Tom who took a round thro the bum flap of his smock,wounded but all important bits intact

richard.jpg
                              Last edited by Don the Mod; 15 June 2019, 08:00.

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
                                Were those Tank Tracks a rough as they normally were Dave ?.... There must have been a few shagged up knees and ankles. Or did 9 Sqdn gallop to the rescue and flatten it all before hand ?
                                I was on that one Tone, the Sqn's job was to set off the improvised explosives during the assault on Flagstaff, we had laid out charges to simulate mortar and aircraft cannon fire, looked pretty impressive on the evening news. Laughed at old Dave's situation, one of ours Wally Clift, landed in the static water tank so no doubt that went down well as well !
                                Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Working...
                                X