Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old D Day Soldiers.....

That will be a sight Gil.

One of my best mates here Boston Irish American bloke, jumped into Normandy with the One Oh Worst from a Dakota at 19. Said Overlord was a bastard because they got scattered to fook all over Normandy. Took them almost a week to regroup. He also told me with no prompting that if Pegasus Bridge had not been taken by the "Limeys" Overlord would probably have failed because if the Panzer's had got over the Orne to the beaches the German Plan of repulsion would have worked because the Yanks and British had no answer for them in the way of Armour
    He went all the way in to almost overlapping the the Russian front lines towards Slovakia. Did not like the Russians. Did not like what they were still doing to the German and Polish women three months after the fighting stopped. Said they were fookin animals. When I pointed it out to him that the Russkies had lost 20 000 000 and 5000 villages at the hands of the Krauts, he didnt care. Dead now. Heart gave out. RIP Jim Harrington....When ever I see a Dakota I always think about him.

Anyway back to Dakotas. Iconic mate.... get lots of pics and Vids Gil .
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 27 May 2019, 20:39.
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

My little shit to shoot about D day . .....was on the 1958 pilgrimage organised by the airborne forces security fund , the army got me a passport , and we set off with a coach full of bereaved relatives , 6th div. Vets including Sir Richard Gale . To Newhaven on the ferry was Lord Lovat ( with eye patch ) and his commando vets . .next couple of days we went round various church yards where our lads were buried . It was very emotional cos this was the first time the mums and girlfriends and widows , had seen the grave of their loved one . A lot of tears were shed when they got back on the coach., And Sir Richard was very upset too. I went to a farm with the two Vets , one of whom was a Sgt . Told me he lost half his pltn. In the orchard behind the farm , due to mortars landing in the trees . The family took us in for a drink , and the daughter ,who spoke some English told us that ,that they were liberated by Canadians , but it didn't go well cos they thought her Dad was a kraut ( he was polish ) and they beat him up ! . The other Vet , a Tom,was wounded with a round that went straight through the bum flap. Of his smock , but didn't damage his important bits ! . I blew last post and reveille ,in Ranville cemetery and back home to the shot ,. Was due for Arnhem in September ,but we had to hurry out to Cyprus .
      Last edited by paradrummer2; 29 May 2019, 15:31.

Comment

Ace post paradrummer. Pity nobody filed that little outing. Put some more up mate....
        Me

Comment

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...niversary.html See if this works

Comment

Richard,
            Playing the bugle in those sort of circumstances MUST be the hardest thing in the book, where you know the circumstances and the family stand over you expecting a perfect rendition everytime as you fight back the tears too.................nice one mate. See you next week hopefully on the Daks.

Comment

Next time you hear snowflakes saying the older generation destroyed their future, show them this:

Going by the (Pioneer?) badge on the first bloke, I think they're British, the picture implies they were lined up and shot by the krauts that are marching off?

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Looks like a WW1 pic,by the equipment on the German's backs,and the flat hats some of them are wearing. Also the Lewis gun on the floor,standard section LMG in WW1,but largely replaced by WW11.

Comment

Spot on Pat.............Lewis and clothing and equipment put this down to a MMG crew of 3 in WW1 caught out, probably over run and killed in the course of that where their fire position was, unless someone comes up with an alternative response! The ammo box is for a Lewis and two Lee Enfield rifles have been left behind by the Germans, so it looks like they died where they fell and all they are doing is looking at the sad sight IMHO!!
                  Last edited by Gil; 6 June 2019, 17:49.

Comment

Looks like the Krauts are advancing through their position. Look at their puttees.... Its WW I alright. Wonder who they were ? Where they were from...? Looks like there are two more a bit further up the road.
                    Last edited by trubrit2411; 7 June 2019, 00:00.
                    Me

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                      great post,hard to read due to the amount of bloody adverts on the page. heroes all.
                      g
                      shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Just a movie, but vets always say it's pretty close.
                        I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

****ing horrendous

Comment

Gil.... It would have been a whole lot worse if Hitler had released those Panzers earlier before the Airborne sealed off almost every route to the coast.. Or even better/worse had them as a mobile unit right behind each beach. Which it what Rommel wanted.
                            Hitler had to have been nuts. Once they got that toehold in the West..... and the Russians were pushing them back across the Ukraine towards the old Polish Border in the East.... you would have thought the Officer Corp of the Wermacht would have taken him out....and sued for peace. They had to have know it was over. Operation Valkyrie was not enough. July 20th ?
                            Last edited by trubrit2411; 8 June 2019, 00:08.
                            Me

Comment

Watched a good one on TV the other day about the operation to keep the Germans thinking the attack would come through Calais. It involved 5 double agents feeding false info on troop movements,equipment etc. One of them was in Portugal,and was unmasked a few days before D Day and whisked away by the Gestapo for an interview without coffee,sending panic through the blokes running the op from MI5,because if he talked they would realise all the info was porkies,and shift the panzers. He clearly didn't talk,or if he did the top brass were too embarressed and afraid to pass on to Adolf that they'd been fooled. He disappeared into the concentration camps,Nacht and Nebel style,never heard of again. They even managed to keep up the deception for weeks after D Day,to their own surprise. One of the agents got an iron cross from Hitler,and a MBE from us.

Comment

There big problem was the Resistance had done a cracking job of blowing up the rail lines to Normandy and taking out all landline comms too on the hours before D-DAY.
                                The Panzer could only do 2.75 miles to the Gallon and was deemed too far away to be of any use and the reason why they concentrated in the Falaise Gap.
                                The Sherman could do 7.1 miles to the gallon in comparison.
                                Everytime I hear the facts about D-DAY there is always something new to take on board. Even Montgomery was fascinated by the minor detail he learnt every day...........and he was a General!!
                                I say thank **** for the Russian front it took many a good German away from the coasts and not many returned either!
                                Last edited by Gil; 8 June 2019, 10:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X