Battle of Long Tan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Long Tan

108 Aussies and Kiwis Infantry holding of 2500 Vietcong and NVA in a Rubber Plantation 1966. Very interesting when you have an hour. Love them SLR's in the middle of Vietnam

Award-winning and critically acclaimed documentary, The Battle of Long Tan narrated by Sam Worthington, first broadcast on The History Channel on 16 August 2...
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 21 January 2019, 05:55.
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Re: Battle of Long Tan

It's quite controversial here. there have been books written about senior officers telling porkies about their involvement, and also whether it was a victory or a defeat. Still, whatever happened, as usual the toms performed with great bravery against vastly superior numbers.
    For Walters it's also the equivalent of the 'balcony' if everyone is to believed there must have been about half a million Aussies there, some of whom, amazingly weren't even born when the Vietnam war was on.
    Last edited by stephenfrank; 21 January 2019, 06:18.
    I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

They sure worked their bollox off during this battle, but its funny that there were two other engagements, and not much coverage on FSBs Coral and Balmoral May 68. I sat with an old Sgt on Anzac Day a few years ago, who was sick of hearing about Long Tan, and when was Coral and Balmoral going to get the recognition it deserves.....he had a point.

“I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.”

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Sing View Post
        They sure worked their bollox off during this battle, but its funny that there were two other engagements, and not much coverage on FSBs Coral and Balmoral May 68. I sat with an old Sgt on Anzac Day a few years ago, who was sick of hearing about Long Tan, and when was Coral and Balmoral going to get the recognition it deserves.....he had a point.
        They have been ignored alright. I never heard of them

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.
        Me

Comment

Fifty years ago, Australian soldiers fought the largest and most sustained battles of Australia's war in Vietnam.
          Me

Comment

Just watched a doccu on Wellington and Waterloo. 22000 dead and three times that number wounded. Seems 'dentists' were going round the battlefield pulling any good teeth they found amongst the dead to make 'dentures' for selling in the UK. French and Belgian farmers were (apparently) going round the battlefield collecting limbs which had been blown off (thousands of them) and using them to spread on their fields and feed to their pigs. Some of the Brit troops who were left behind to help collect the dead shot a number of farmers and 'dentists. Apart from this mob, there were battlefield looters who simply went round robbing bodies and Brit troops shot scores of these f***in vultures. Were troops ever treated properly after battles?

Comment

Originally posted by standinthedoor View Post
              Just watched a doccu on Wellington and Waterloo. 22000 dead and three times that number wounded. Seems 'dentists' were going round the battlefield pulling any good teeth they found amongst the dead to make 'dentures' for selling in the UK. French and Belgian farmers were (apparently) going round the battlefield collecting limbs which had been blown off (thousands of them) and using them to spread on their fields and feed to their pigs. Some of the Brit troops who were left behind to help collect the dead shot a number of farmers and 'dentists. Apart from this mob, there were battlefield looters who simply went round robbing bodies and Brit troops shot scores of these f***in vultures. Were troops ever treated properly after battles?
              terrible, I know Pete says it was the worst battle he was involved in.
              I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

I traced my 3 times great Granddad who was with the 3rd Foot Guards at Waterloo when you think that the battle was only one day. 18 June 1815. He was discharged on Christmas Eve 24 Dec 1815 as being unfit for further service after being wounded in the left shoulder during the battle. "Merry Christmas" not much changes.
                Last edited by Aussie Nick; 1 February 2019, 04:14.
                There is always someone watching

Comment

Wonder if he knew Pete?(Probably not,Pete was far too short for the Guards!)

Comment

Pete's too short for anything
                    Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

Anything useful anyway,although I did hear he once had a job as a dildo for an elephant!

Comment

Do not know Pete but assume that he is vertically challenged! Bloke on my street (Charlie) about 4'11" in his stockings. Local zoo had an eagle escape a few years ago and the police came round to warn Charlie not to venture outside until the eagle had been caught. Read what you will in to that.

Comment

Poor owd Pete gerrin the piss teken outa im fer sufferin wi Ducks Disease. Well I keep mi gob shut on that one cos in me prime wuz only five feet five, now shrunk to 5 feet four. Never bothered mi tho cos across the showders I grew as wide az I wuz tall n cud easily out strength many a tall fukker n me philosophy az allus bin, "The Bigger The Target, The easier ta Twat!" Secret iz Pete, allus aim fer the shins n grab n squeeze them bollox az ard az tha fukkin can. Soon brings the tall fukkers down ta size!

Comment

Do not know Pete but assume that he is vertically challenged! Bloke on my street (Charlie) about 4'11" in his stockings. Local zoo had an eagle escape a few years ago and the police came round to warn Charlie not to venture outside until the eagle had been caught. Read what you will in to that.
                            He'd have been ok if it was this fukker, Ron.

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                              Poor owd Pete gerrin the piss teken outa im fer sufferin wi Ducks Disease. Well I keep mi gob shut on that one cos in me prime wuz only five feet five, now shrunk to 5 feet four. Never bothered mi tho cos across the showders I grew as wide az I wuz tall n cud easily out strength many a tall fukker n me philosophy az allus bin, "The Bigger The Target, The easier ta Twat!" Secret iz Pete, allus aim fer the shins n grab n squeeze them bollox az ard az tha fukkin can. Soon brings the tall fukkers down ta size!
                              Never known a blokes (or woman's) height to have owt to do with their bottle or strength Dave. They will find a coffin for big and small at the end of the day

Comment

Working...
                              X