Thread: Battle of Long Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Battle of Long Tan

108 Aussies and Kiwis Infantry holding of 2500 Vietcong and NVA in a Rubber Plantation 1966. Very interesting when you have an hour. Love them SLR's in the middle of Vietnam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gUSq7pxux4
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:55.
    “Politicians are not born; they are excreted.”
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

2. Likes bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Battle of Long Tan

It's quite controversial here. there have been books written about senior officers telling porkies about their involvement, and also whether it was a victory or a defeat. Still, whatever happened, as usual the toms performed with great bravery against vastly superior numbers.
    For Walters it's also the equivalent of the 'balcony' if everyone is to believed there must have been about half a million Aussies there, some of whom, amazingly weren't even born when the Vietnam war was on.
    Last edited by stephenfrank; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:18.
    I told myself that I should stop drinking, but I'm not about to listen to a drunk who talks to himself.

4. Likes bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They sure worked their bollox off during this battle, but its funny that there were two other engagements, and not much coverage on FSBs Coral and Balmoral May 68. I sat with an old Sgt on Anzac Day a few years ago, who was sick of hearing about Long Tan, and when was Coral and Balmoral going to get the recognition it deserves.....he had a point.

“I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Sing View Post
    They sure worked their bollox off during this battle, but its funny that there were two other engagements, and not much coverage on FSBs Coral and Balmoral May 68. I sat with an old Sgt on Anzac Day a few years ago, who was sick of hearing about Long Tan, and when was Coral and Balmoral going to get the recognition it deserves.....he had a point.
    They have been ignored alright. I never heard of them

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...+68.&FORM=IGRE
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Post Thanks / Like
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched a doccu on Wellington and Waterloo. 22000 dead and three times that number wounded. Seems 'dentists' were going round the battlefield pulling any good teeth they found amongst the dead to make 'dentures' for selling in the UK. French and Belgian farmers were (apparently) going round the battlefield collecting limbs which had been blown off (thousands of them) and using them to spread on their fields and feed to their pigs. Some of the Brit troops who were left behind to help collect the dead shot a number of farmers and 'dentists. Apart from this mob, there were battlefield looters who simply went round robbing bodies and Brit troops shot scores of these f***in vultures. Were troops ever treated properly after battles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by standinthedoor View Post
    Just watched a doccu on Wellington and Waterloo. 22000 dead and three times that number wounded. Seems 'dentists' were going round the battlefield pulling any good teeth they found amongst the dead to make 'dentures' for selling in the UK. French and Belgian farmers were (apparently) going round the battlefield collecting limbs which had been blown off (thousands of them) and using them to spread on their fields and feed to their pigs. Some of the Brit troops who were left behind to help collect the dead shot a number of farmers and 'dentists. Apart from this mob, there were battlefield looters who simply went round robbing bodies and Brit troops shot scores of these f***in vultures. Were troops ever treated properly after battles?
    terrible, I know Pete says it was the worst battle he was involved in.
    I told myself that I should stop drinking, but I'm not about to listen to a drunk who talks to himself.

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I traced my 3 times great Granddad who was with the 3rd Foot Guards at Waterloo when you think that the battle was only one day. 18 June 1815. He was discharged on Christmas Eve 24 Dec 1815 as being unfit for further service after being wounded in the left shoulder during the battle. "Merry Christmas" not much changes.
    Last edited by Aussie Nick; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:14.
    There is always someone watching

11. Likes stephenfrank, trubrit2411 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if he knew Pete?(Probably not,Pete was far too short for the Guards!)

Post Thanks / Like

Pete's too short for anything
    Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Post Thanks / Like

Anything useful anyway,although I did hear he once had a job as a dildo for an elephant!

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not know Pete but assume that he is vertically challenged! Bloke on my street (Charlie) about 4'11" in his stockings. Local zoo had an eagle escape a few years ago and the police came round to warn Charlie not to venture outside until the eagle had been caught. Read what you will in to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor owd Pete gerrin the piss teken outa im fer sufferin wi Ducks Disease. Well I keep mi gob shut on that one cos in me prime wuz only five feet five, now shrunk to 5 feet four. Never bothered mi tho cos across the showders I grew as wide az I wuz tall n cud easily out strength many a tall fukker n me philosophy az allus bin, "The Bigger The Target, The easier ta Twat!" Secret iz Pete, allus aim fer the shins n grab n squeeze them bollox az ard az tha fukkin can. Soon brings the tall fukkers down ta size!

17. Likes treeman liked this post
    BAFC Verification Officer Don the Mod's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not know Pete but assume that he is vertically challenged! Bloke on my street (Charlie) about 4'11" in his stockings. Local zoo had an eagle escape a few years ago and the police came round to warn Charlie not to venture outside until the eagle had been caught. Read what you will in to that.
    He'd have been ok if it was this fukker, Ron.

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burgess View Post
    Poor owd Pete gerrin the piss teken outa im fer sufferin wi Ducks Disease. Well I keep mi gob shut on that one cos in me prime wuz only five feet five, now shrunk to 5 feet four. Never bothered mi tho cos across the showders I grew as wide az I wuz tall n cud easily out strength many a tall fukker n me philosophy az allus bin, "The Bigger The Target, The easier ta Twat!" Secret iz Pete, allus aim fer the shins n grab n squeeze them bollox az ard az tha fukkin can. Soon brings the tall fukkers down ta size!
    Never known a blokes (or woman's) height to have owt to do with their bottle or strength Dave. They will find a coffin for big and small at the end of the day

Post Thanks / Like

Seen the G Eagles grab wolves in Mongolia. You would think a wolf would put one away. They hunt in pairs. DUM DUM ....DUM DUM (Jaws Music)

Its on u toob
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Post Thanks / Like

Never known a blokes (or woman's) height to have owt to do with their bottle or strength Dave. They will find a coffin for big and small at the end of the day
    Spot on theer Ron but most geezers associate size wi strength which aint true. That,s why I laff when I see the door geezers built like brick shithouses standing az tho thiv gorra roll o fukkin carpet under each desert farm acting az a deterrent. Most powerful muscle in the body is the brain which dictates the movement, speed and reaction o the whole body, but most important of all the ability to overcome fear. All the latter improved thru regular training and practice, especially speed which az I,ve sed many times kills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burgess View Post
    Spot on theer Ron but most geezers associate size wi strength which aint true. That,s why I laff when I see the door geezers built like brick shithouses standing az tho thiv gorra roll o fukkin carpet under each desert farm acting az a deterrent. Most powerful muscle in the body is the brain which dictates the movement, speed and reaction o the whole body, but most important of all the ability to overcome fear. All the latter improved thru regular training and practice, especially speed which az I,ve sed many times kills.
    Wish I'd been born shorter. every tall person I know, including myself as a knackered back. Think we were only meant to be about 5 foot six.

Post Thanks / Like

Its Trifleitis

Attack OF The Monster Trifle

That bad back may well be plain old Rheumatoid Arthritis. Aggravated by sugar. When I got rid of the sugar I got rid of the bad back. Every time I stray back on to any type of sugar it comes back. You should live on Steamed Mackeral and brussels sprouts for the rest of your life Steve. Think Omega 3 Fatty Acid. Bollock it down your neck. Omega 6 which aggravates arthritis....knock it down. Its the Modern diet. Eat what your granny got down her. Oh and get rid of all seed oils. Or ignore all this.....
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 2 Weeks Ago at 14:15.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Post Thanks / Like

They reckon that the owd glass back syndrome all began when our ancient ancestor apes decided ta gerrup off 4 limbs n start bimblin wi 2, so I suppose uz short arses av the advantage o bein the same size az "normal" geezers when we,re on two n they are on four!

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trubrit2411 View Post
    Its Trifleitis

Attack OF The Monster Trifle

That bad back may well be plain old Rheumatoid Arthritis. Aggravated by sugar. When I got rid of the sugar I got rid of the bad back. Every time I stray back on to any type of sugar it comes back. You should live on Steamed Mackeral and brussels sprouts for the rest of your life Steve. Think Omega 3 Fatty Acid. Bollock it down your neck. Omega 6 which aggravates arthritis....knock it down. Its the Modern diet. Eat what your granny got down her. Oh and get rid of all seed oils. Or ignore all this.....
    Sprouts and mackeral sounds about right Tone, not sure about the state of the old arse-hole after farting for several hours, but in for a penny, i will give it a go!

Thread Information