Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, your knees wobbled...

Originally posted by taff View Post
    just looks like a normal day to me, Taff.
    I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
      remember when you used to fly into Hong Kong, all those skyscrapers with bamboo scaffolding around them. Looked like a gust of wind and they'd fall down.
      Before I went back to HK in 97, I told my mate who was coming with me, about the bamboo scaffolding, he didn't believe me. when we got there, he couldn't believe it. They were even extending on of the tallest buildings there using it.
      Last edited by Don the Mod; 22 January 2019, 10:56.
      "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

How the fook would bamboo scaffolding hold up. ?
        "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
        Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
          How the fook would bamboo scaffolding hold up. ?
          You'd be surprised how strong that bit of grass is Tony and it's lashed with a bit of plastic binding.

Comment

Originally posted by Don the Mod View Post
            You'd be surprised how strong that bit of grass is Tony and it's lashed with a bit of plastic binding.

If I had not seen that I would not have believed it. Bloody hell. How tall are those buildings 1200 feet on av ? You could jump that scaffolding at the end of your shift. Save walking down. Be like the balloon
            Me

Comment

I liked the way Fred Dibnah used to go up those chimneys he was working on, no hard hat, just the old Pommy stetson, no safety harness, just highly experienced, therefor confident. I was always impressed by that bloke's attitude.

Comment

I knew Fred well Findlay, used to do demolition work locally when I came on leave and Fred normally was asked to bring the factory chimney down by 'burning' wooden props. His character was no different in real life than on the box, he just turned up, no fuss, few minutes later he would be half way up a chimney securing ladders on top of each other until he got to the top. Terrifying to watch. Terrifying to follow him. One magnificent chimney remains in Bolton (Barrow Bridge) as a consequence, I believe of Fred appealing for it to remain standing.

Comment

Owd Fred, fukkin Brill! runnin along side the chimney az it wuz crashing down while pressing iz owd car horn, then lighting a cig sez, "Did ya like that?"

Last edited by Don the Mod; 22 January 2019, 10:59.

Comment

Comment

When working on the sites used ta watch the steel erectors shuffling along the steel beams then hanging upside down while their mate lob the nuts n bolts up fer em ta catch then fix ta the uprights. No safety helmets or harness or owt back then. When they,d done time fer uz ta carry the big fukk off steel roofing sheets up the ladder ta start decking out. 12 feet long, balanced on thee shoulder n hope ta fukk tha dint cop fer that Russian kunt Gustav Wind. If tha did n it started ta twist thee off the ladder, let the fukker gu n shout in the owd fashioned elf n safety way, "BELOW!" n hope it dint twat some poor fukker on the DZ!

Comment

I get dizzy on a deep pile carpet these days

Comment

Must be like a jungle to you,the deep pile would reach yer waist!!

Comment

And your shoulders

Comment

Well when thaz a midget like uz Pete, no probs fukkin the owd shag pile!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Burgess View Post
                                When working on the sites used ta watch the steel erectors shuffling along the steel beams then hanging upside down while their mate lob the nuts n bolts up fer em ta catch then fix ta the uprights. No safety helmets or harness or owt back then. When they,d done time fer uz ta carry the big fukk off steel roofing sheets up the ladder ta start decking out. 12 feet long, balanced on thee shoulder n hope ta fukk tha dint cop fer that Russian kunt Gustav Wind. If tha did n it started ta twist thee off the ladder, let the fukker gu n shout in the owd fashioned elf n safety way, "BELOW!" n hope it dint twat some poor fukker on the DZ!

I have done some right dodgy stuff as well. Like climbing storm damaged big old Victorian gable end chimneys that went way above the ridge. Built with the owd lime sand mortar that had completely perished in the elements. Like powder. There by their own compressive weight. I used to quote them for scaffolding and then pull a trainasium and climb them to make a bit more dosh. Taking corner bricks out as I went for foot holds off the roof side. About eight to ten feet ....get on top and started picking them apart beneath me literally by hand, or a tap with a lump hammer, and chuck the bricks down into a neat pile, to me cousin, who was keeping his eyes peeled for pedestrians. Eight foot wide three flue - ers had as many as two thousand brick above the slate.

Then one day....I had one move under me towards an alley that was going down about a hundred steps. Meant I was about fifty feet in the air on a column of loose brick that had lurched about a foot out of upright. Shit meself. I sat there for a while frightened to move. Told me Cuz to go and call the Fire Brigade to "Get me off this fookin' thing" and then called him back. Not wanting to look like the twat I was.

To knock them down you had to shuffle your arse around. That was the bad part of it. Anyway trying not to look down I gingerly managed it but I aged ten years on the top 3 feet. After that it was'nt too bad.

I never did another one without scaffolding. Silly young man. That Maida Barracks / Brigade brainwashing has a lot to answer for.
                                Last edited by trubrit2411; 3 February 2019, 19:16.
                                Me

Comment

Working...
                                X