Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: WWII Battledress

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WWII Battledress

Mi Kraut grand dad reckoned the Germans figured the Brit army to be the most effective opposition army by 1918, he says the Germans were shocked when tanks turned up and the Brits apparently were using some sort of 'plumbed in' flamethrower, in some locations which shot petrol flames 500 to 600 yards in to German trenches and the Krauts were very wary about WTF the Brits were going to produce next. says they stared to co-ordinate aircraft, artillery (even naval were possible) gunfire in support of infantry attacks, he thought Hitlers generals studied Brit end of WW1 tactics for their blitzkreig WW2 strategy

Post Thanks / Like

Read the account of the Regular Irish Guards, with that bolt action Lee Enfield, at the battle of Loos in 1914. Their rate of fire and accuracy shocked and devastated the Krauts. They lost whole Regiments at five and six hundred yards before they realised what they were up against. The actually thought it was a Machine gun Regiment they were coming on to. The Old Contemptibles. Paddies.
    “Politicians are not born; they are excreted.”
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by standinthedoor View Post
    Mi Kraut grand dad reckoned the Germans figured the Brit army to be the most effective opposition army by 1918, he says the Germans were shocked when tanks turned up and the Brits apparently were using some sort of 'plumbed in' flamethrower, in some locations which shot petrol flames 500 to 600 yards in to German trenches and the Krauts were very wary about WTF the Brits were going to produce next. says they stared to co-ordinate aircraft, artillery (even naval were possible) gunfire in support of infantry attacks, he thought Hitlers generals studied Brit end of WW1 tactics for their blitzkreig WW2 strategy
    Was your German grandad in Blighty all the way through WWII Wig ? Did they interview him or warehouse him ? I would love to have met him.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not he was engaged in munitions, apparently a very good engineering designer working for an arms firm in Birmingham (arms? Where else!). I believe he was incarcerated for about 2 weeks in the local police nick. When it became apparent that he had 3 sons all recently volunteered for Brit army, one in navy and one in RAF, and the old guy hated Hitler with a passion, he was released to get back to work on munitions design and production. Never got the full story about what he did, he spoke very little and I knew him not long after the war when they still had the official secrets act attached to many workers. He spoke good English but the German could be detected so apparently he kept quiet in public during the war for fear of having the law called to him. We were evacuated from Birmingham at the height of the bombing to my Brit grandparents in Lancashire and my Brit old fella told me not to mention the fact that I had a German grandparent. although they both would have killed each other in WW1 they got on well and I found them both sat in the 'front room' in Birmingham, more than once, with a bottle or two, in tears. Just ordinary working men sent by dumb bastard politicians to murder each other. C**ts! Has owt changed?

5. Likes bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wig ... There is film in this. I an not kidding. In the hands of the right guy this would be great. There is an ex 3Para bloke living in Malibu who makes pictures. You have probably watched his stuff on TV. I mean great flicks. Draft a story and track him down and send him the draft. It would be a great movie. I am serious. I think that geezer is named Mark Burnett or summat. Look him up. He might be on my friends list on Faceache Book.
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 12th December 2018 at 03:06.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

7. Likes bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found him hes on my friends list But it ain't Burnett or 3 Para. Its 2 Para. Ain't gonna splash his name about though. But I have it.
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 12th December 2018 at 03:25.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Mark Burnett you mention was involved in some way in films,but not the making of them,and he was 3 Para Tone,so you're not going mad after all!

Post Thanks / Like

He made Survivor did'nt he ?.... and a few other big series over here.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It would be good to see a war film about opposing politicians sorting their differences out in a bare knuckle fight, instead of sending soldiers out to sort their problems out and then persecuting them for doing it.
    Bob (geordie) Watts

12. Likes trubrit2411 liked this post
    BAFC Verification Officer Don the Mod's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trubrit2411 View Post
    He made Survivor did'nt he ?.... and a few other big series over here.
    Tony, I think he was involved in Trumps Apprentice too.

I agree with you that there is a story to be told here, although I think it would be better coming from the British side, possibly more of a docu-drama type format?
    "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Post Thanks / Like

Of course Don / Wig. I could not agree more..... he is British and Reg. So is the other one the 2 Para Bloke. That's why I thought of them.

There was a TV Doc done not so long, maybe the Beeb or ITN, about an old lady that was living alone in Dickensian solitude up on the Pennines called Hannah Hawkstone I think. The bloke that made that got called by a bloke that bumped into her while hiking. So he went up there nosing about. Then went back with a full film crew. Somebody like him could take that WWI German POW theme and make it into a mini series. I can see it now. These geezers are always looking for a project.

Hardest thing is the Executive Producers. The money blokes over here. Gotta make them believe it can be sold to TV World wide. Beeb would not have that problem. The Phantom has a few feelers out in that world. Call him up and ask him.... pick his brain.

I think it was Yorkshire TV that did that film on the lady below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Hauxwell
    Last edited by trubrit2411; 12th December 2018 at 23:37.
    Marcus Tullius Cicero

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did not hear it directly from the 2 old guys but mi Mum said that when they got together they were f***in livid at the way in which they (and Russians/Austrians etc) had been frog marched in to slaughter. Mi Ma sez they used to say that all sides should have turned their guns on their 'officer classes' about the time of the Xmas truce, they were not Marxists, but not a kick in the arse from it. She told me that they figured all of the politicians and 'landed gentry' who wanted war should have been put in a bull ring with a revolver and a dagger each, the public from every country could watch, and the result would stand, I stole that 'policy' from them and have repeated it. I have drafted out the outline of their backgrounds (both from coal mining communities Wigan and Penzberg) and their joining their armies, training, their war experiences, and more importantly their feelings towards each other (as former 'enemies' after the war and the similarities of their war experiences, anger and sheer gut wrenching sadness about the loss of so many young mates. The Kraut old lad had more than a small amount of contempt for the Brit officers but said of the Brit Tom that no matter how many times they were over run, they would get up and come back at the Germans. Will aim to get the background to your film maker mate and if he thinks it will go, happy to get more of the stuff together, accepting that film makers may tart it up, but they will not be belittled, by anyone.

BAFC Verification Officer Don the Mod's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course Don / Wig. I could not agree more..... he is British and Reg. So is the other one the 2 Para Bloke. That's why I thought of them.

There was a TV Doc done not so long, maybe the Beeb or ITN, about an old lady that was living alone in Dickensian solitude up on the Pennines called Hannah Hawkstone I think. The bloke that made that got called by a bloke that bumped into her while hiking. So he went up there nosing about. Then went back to a full crew. Somebody like that could take that WWI German POW theme and make it into a mini series. I can see it now. These geezers are always looking for a project.

Hardest thing is the Executive Producers. The money blokes over here. Gotta make them believe it can be sold to TV World wide. Beeb would not have that problem. The Phantom has a few feelers out in that world. Call him up and ask him.... pick his brain.

I think it was Yorkshire TV that did that film on the lady below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannah_Hauxwell
    Here she is Tony, a hardy old bird, died earlier this year.

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Post Thanks / Like

Tuff owd Yorkshire lass, R.I.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Twenty odd years ago, I was up Borrowdale in the Lakes, with two young daughters, (about ten and fourteen)showing them where I used to do some climbing, and who should amble along, but Chris Bonnington. Him and his two mates rapidly shot up the cliff face out of sight. I turned to my lasses and said, 'did you see who that was?' 'No', they both replied. 'Chris Bonnington, I said. 'Who'? they both replied. On the way back home, we stopped in a little place in Teesdale and were looking into a shop window, when I became conscious of a woman who had walked up alongside us. It was Hannah Hauxwell, who lived not far away. Back in the car I said to the lasses, 'did you see who that was'? 'No', they both replied. 'Hannah Hauxwell', I told them. 'Who'? they both replied. Two celebrities in one day. I'm pleased we didn't bump into Elvis in the village chippie, 'cos if they had said 'Who'? to me, I would have clipped their bloody ears.

19. Likes trubrit2411 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the early 70s there was an old girl who lived in a tent on the side of Mam Tor in all weathers overlooking the Hope Valley and she spent her time knitting sweaters for Sherpa Tensing. At the time I did a job on the Cat 995 digger at the Hope Blue Circle Cement Works n at dinner time used ta bimble up ta the Cheshire Cheese battlecruiser in Castleton fer a pint o Guinness n a banjo n she would quite often come in fer a Milk Stout n az she wuz a bit of a local celebrity it wuz allus on the house. She looked like a Gypo ta me n musta bin a hardy fukker az anyone who az ever tabbed up Winnats Pass in mid winter wud testify.

21. Likes trubrit2411, treeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course,in this day and age they would move old girls like that into a home,"For their own,and public safety!",when all they want is to be left alone!
    My nearest neighbour is a bit like that,lives in an old asbestos roofed shack,about 500 yards up my lane,electric and water,but the place leaks like a sieve.I think she's off the grid,and doesn't pay rates,using my bins for the small amount of rubbish she produces.Vegetarian,she grows all her own veg,and I supply her with free eggs,and logs for her fire and suchlike.I'm sure if the council knew how she lived they'd drag her out,but she's got all her marbles,does no harm,and is happy to just be left alone.Think she rents,for a peppercorn,off the farm at the end of the lane,an arrangement made with the long dead father,and the sons are just waiting for her to snuff it,so they can bulldoze it for a site.Hopefully she'll outlive both the mean bastards!
    Last edited by Pat Harley; 13th December 2018 at 11:56.

23. Likes treeman liked this post
    Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Harley View Post
    Of course,in this day and age they would move old girls like that into a home,"For their own,and public safety!",when all they want is to be left alone!
    My nearest neighbour is a bit like that,lives in an old asbestos roofed shack,about 500 yards up my lane,electric and water,but the place leaks like a sieve.I think she's off the grid,and doesn't pay rates,using my bins for the small amount of rubbish she produces.Vegetarian,she grows all her own veg,and I supply her with free eggs,and logs for her fire and suchlike.I'm sure if the council knew how she lived they'd drag her out,but she's got all her marbles,does no harm,and is happy to just be left alone.Think she rents,for a peppercorn,off the farm at the end of the lane,an arrangement made with the long dead father,and the sons are just waiting for her to snuff it,so they can bulldoze it for a site.Hopefully she'll outlive both the mean bastards!
    Good on yer Pat! As you say they are not doing anybody any harm at all. Was at a meeting last year where the local council were prattlin on about 'the lonely and isolated' in the community. some old folk from nearby bungalows attended and most told the local council, strange as it may seem to the council 'we want to be f***in left alone, we like being lonely and isolated'. At the end of the meeting a 19 year old council worker said she had a complaint. She had been asked by the council to go round old peoples estates and ascertain the occupants 'sexuality' (council said they needed to record who was gay, lesbian, trans, cross dressers, welsh dresser etc) to be sure they were not discriminated against. The young girl said she had never heard language like it, she was told to f**k off at most doors. Surprises me that the council are surprised! wankers

25. Likes treeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Read the account of the Regular Irish Guards, with that bolt action Lee Enfield, at the battle of Loos in 1914. Their rate of fire and accuracy shocked and devastated the Krauts. They lost whole Regiments at five and six hundred yards before they realised what they were up against. The actually thought it was a Machine gun Regiment they were coming on to. The Old Contemptibles. Paddies.
    he queen mothers favorite regiment
    t
    shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Thread Information