Kids in the 60's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kids in the 60's

Catapults, bow and arrows, throwing arrows, spears, pea shooters, kites, box kites, piggy whackers, buggies, slide down slag heaps on corrugated sheets (many fingers lost, swimmin in pit lodges, all day jumping rivers and streams, digging tunnels,jumping from railway bridges on to coal trains to 'offload' coal, tightrope walking across 600' deep pit shafts and so on, much we could not manufacture. Probably get locked up today for being insane

Comment

Originally posted by Don the Mod View Post
      Must admit, we had fukkall, holes in our shoes arse hanging out of our breeks, had to trawl the dumps for bits of old bikes to make our own, old prams to make 'geegs' (buggies/carts). Certainly wouldn't swap todays lot with all their fukkin tech.
      we called carts or buggies boggies my dad made the fastest ones in our area always used pram wheels
      shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

What these kids got today ? A phone. A wafer thin idiots lantern. The bike I bought my kid's step daughter for Chrissy.....is yet to be used. Its in the Garage. She has never sat on it. She spends her life gazing at intellectual default most of her free time. Sad.
        "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
        Me

Comment

The Dennis Bisskit days were great days.
          I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

1940s, getting a good belting of me father, for pinching some carbide which he used for his pit lamp. Used to put it into little parcels and throw them into the air for the seagulls to grab. The gas used to swell up in their gut, and they used to explode. Not a nice thing to do, so you learned a lesson the hard way.
            Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Wots a few Gulls between mates Bob ? All the arseholes do is shit on us......
              Me

Comment

Memories fer me o playin footy agee-anst the next street in a local graveyard weer all the gravestoo-ans wo them that wo laid flat ta the deck wi grass in between. Wearin latest designer clobber, big fukk off leather boots wi studs that needed renewin at the cobblers so nails protrudin, oo-am made shin pads, cardboord stuffed inside an owd sock, Stanley Mathews shorts n owd Blades shirt circa 1950s. Oreight on the grass bits but mostly like the sound o Steelworkers clompin daahn the street wearin steel toe capped clogs on their way ta collar! "The Beautiful Game!"

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
                  1940s, getting a good belting of me father, for pinching some carbide which he used for his pit lamp. Used to put it into little parcels and throw them into the air for the seagulls to grab. The gas used to swell up in their gut, and they used to explode. Not a nice thing to do, so you learned a lesson the hard way.
                  Wish I could get my hands on some carbide, Bob. The bastards here go all fukkin night long screaming and squawking. I wouldn't mind if when I open my curtains to a nice chocolate box panorama of a small fishing port to see those horny handed sons of the sea unloading their catch for the day, but no, I get to see an unused accommodation block awaiting demolition.

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Sympathies with you there Don, the trouble is here you get twats feeding them. Which causes them to get aggressive when other people don't. They dive on kids and adults alike in order to grab any food they might have in their hands. And they shit all over the place. Trouble is their protected, so no chance of culling them to reduce numbers.
                    Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Originally posted by bob9739 View Post
                      Sympathies with you there Don, the trouble is here you get twats feeding them. Which causes them to get aggressive when other people don't. They dive on kids and adults alike in order to grab any food they might have in their hands. And they shit all over the place. Trouble is their protected, so no chance of culling them to reduce numbers.
                      I have posted pics of my car before covered in their shit, it's burned through the lacquer. Phoned the council had had some young girl almost in tears when I asked if we could kill them, she said "what about their chicks".

Comment

Anyway, found this on fudbook, reminder of the days when life was so much simpler and shite hawks were only at the seaside, so in their natural habitat...not at the end of my road.

Back in the days of tanners and bobs,
                        When Mothers had patience and Fathers had jobs.
                        When football team families wore hand me down shoes,
                        And T.V gave only two channels to choose.

Back in the days of three penny bits,
                        when schools employed nurses to search for your nits.
                        When snowballs were harmless; ice slides were permitted
                        and all of your jumpers were warm and hand knitted.

Back in the days of hot ginger beers,
                        when children remained so for more than six years.
                        When children respected what older folks said,
                        and pot was a thing you kept under your bed.

Back in the days of Listen with Mother,
                        when neighbours were friendly and talked to each other.
                        When cars were so rare you could play in the street.
                        When Doctors made house calls and Police walked the beat.

Back in the days of Milligan's Goons,
                        when butter was butter and songs all had tunes.
                        It was dumplings for dinner and trifle for tea,
                        and your annual break was a day by the sea.

Back in the days of Dixon's Dock Green,
                        Crackerjack pens and Lyons ice cream.
                        When children could freely wear National Health glasses,
                        and teachers all stood at the FRONT of their classes.

Back in the days of rocking and reeling,
                        when mobiles were things that you hung from the ceiling.
                        When woodwork andpottery got taught in schools,
                        and everyone dreamed of a win on the pools.

Back in the days when I was a lad,
                        I can't help but smile for the fun that I had.
                        Hopscotch and roller skates; snowballs to lob.
                        Back in the days of tanners and bobs.

Comment

What age would those houses be ? 1880's 1890'S ?

Look at the craftsmanship put into those Semicircular arches....Those special shaped custom made brick, on what was just run of the mill working class tenement houses. They probably built them like it was nothing. Not even a talking point. Popped them up because they were ......Bricklayers.... and that was all part of their game.
                          If they came back today they would cry. Thats long gone. I cant find anybody that can turn an arch now. Or a twisted pillar. Or even a bit of corbelling done properly. They can't do it. Not the blokes available to me. Most of the real young ones cant even lay brick straight. Sad state of affairs. No pride.
                          Last edited by trubrit2411; 22 August 2019, 15:52.
                          Me

Comment

And the mullions with their...is it called ionic heads, Tony? It is beautiful work when compared to the featureless boxes their knocking up these days.
                            Last edited by Don the Mod; 22 August 2019, 15:45.

Comment

Brickies these days wunt bi able ta build a "Bulls Eye", n wunt know the difference between Flemish Bond n Brooke Bond!

Comment

Did anyone else have a little front room in the house, that you weren't allowed in? It was kept spotless and only used if someone important visited and the best china came out.
                                I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Working...
                                X