Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody remember this bloke killed in the EOKA trouble in Cyprus ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody remember this bloke killed in the EOKA trouble in Cyprus ?

Anybody remember this Black Country lad killed in Cyprus ? Must have been 1 Para.....oops sorry read it again he was 3 Para

"If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Re: Anybody remember this bloke killed in the EOKA trouble in Cyprus ?

Did not know the lad but remember the incident very well, initially thought that EOKA had set fire to the forest but was in fact a mortar fired I think by the Maureen's, memory is getting f***ed but think some Marines were killed when a mortar hit a tree above their firing point and exploded over the gun team. 400 died in that conflict, I went to Waynes Keep cemetery years ago when i revisited the island and was appalled at the condition of the graves, think it is now better looked after. Beginning to see case for bringing back the remains of our lads and girls killed in some of these shit-holes, especially were they are vandalised. Even in WW2 the Krauts did not touch the WW1 war graves. RIP all of those in Waynes Keep (we were camped a few hundred yards from the cemetery and heard the last post being sounded most mornings).

Comment

Can't say I recognize him but I joined in 56 too . If anyone's interested the "Cyprus veterans" will be holding there annual meeting and service at the national arboretum , near BURTON ON TRENT on the 19th of this month .

Comment

Originally posted by paradrummer View Post
        Can't say I recognize him but I joined in 56 too . If anyone's interested the "Cyprus veterans" will be holding there annual meeting and service at the national arboretum , near BURTON ON TRENT on the 19th of this month .
        Apart from Remembrance Sunday I have not been in to commemorations and reunions, but thanks for that Paradrummer will try to get down to the arboretum on the 19th

Comment

[QUOTE=standinthedoor;209179]Apart from Remembrance Sunday I have not been in to commemorations and reunions, but thanks for that Paradrummer will try to get down to the arboretum on the 19th[/QUO

Ok ,Mate might see you there.

Comment

Private 22321865 Joseph Anthony Hawker of 3 PARA died on the 17th of June 1956 aged 19. He died of burns in a forest fire in Cyprus. I placed a cross on his grave 21.B.05 at Waynes Keep (No Mans Land) last year, whilst investigating a missing soldier for GRAVEWATCH who was shown as buried there, but in fact was repatriated by his family back to the UK IN 1956.
            RIP What a waste of a young life

Comment

I bet his brother would like to know that Gil......
              Me

Comment

Josephine Fairley writes [4th August 2017]:

well for the first time ive been on google and discovered my uncle joseph its amazing but mixed emotions as it has a sad story mean while the reason for my story is because my grandson has join the para regiment hes 17 yrs old iam 64 yrs old i have a photo of me and joseph also a photo of him in full uniform kind regards josephine email josephine.fairley@virginmedia.com

https://www.friendsandrelations.com/html/detail.php/id/3233/relations/joseph_anthony_hawker.html
                Last edited by trubrit2411; 6 August 2018, 11:10.
                Me

Comment

Me

Comment

I have today emailed Josephine to let her know that following my visit to Waynes Keep Cemetery, the CWGC kindly repainted all the gravestone inscriptions so that they will last a few more years.
                    I laid a wreath on behalf of RHQ and placed crosses on each of our lads graves.
                    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hope my email brings the family some respite.
                    RIP

IMG_1652.JPG
                    IMG_1674.JPG

PARA GRAVES AT WAYNES KEEP RE PAINTED 20161217_073523.jpg

PARA GRAVES AT WAYNES KEEP RE PAINTED 20161217_073523
                    Last edited by Don the Mod; 6 August 2018, 19:11.

Comment

Proud of you Gil2 and your organisation. Waynes keep was a tip when I visited it many years ago, will not repeat the story but some Brit soldiers promised to get down there and do the best they could. Well done, heartwarming to know that the lads and girls who died in some of these shit-holes for f**k knows what, are not forgotten by ordinary soldiers who served alongside them. Now we do not have to go to the shitholes to tangle with these half baked t**ts, they are all in the UK

Comment

Tony,
                        Emailed Josephine Fairley at the above email address mate nothing back so far, will update you when she does.

In relation to GRAVEWATCH, as stated to you on PM's, and for the benefit of site members especially those not on FACEACHE like me. I run the system and normally get informed by ex Airborne members and sometimes civvies too, that a PARA grave is in shit state. If its too far for me to go out and rectify, I now have direct assistance from the Regional grave team of the CWGC who cover the whole country and I also deal with teams abroad such as in the case of repainting the graves in Cyprus as they fade terribly in direct sunlight.
                        So in short if you see or hear of a PARA grave in crap state don't hesitate to contact me, either through here or to Don or Phil, they know how to get hold of me.
                        Thanks to all those on the BAFC who have helped in clean ups around the country.

Comment

Its a great thing you are doing Gil. I had no idea you were volunteering this effort in your own time. I thought you were working for the CWGC. Did you organise the new stone for me owd mate 3 Para Wally Walton in Malta ?
                          Last edited by trubrit2411; 8 August 2018, 15:28.
                          Me

Comment

Yes I did sort it with the right words and Regimental abbreviations and crest, as one of the CWGC lads in France owed me a favour he did the stone for us, at that stage they were not responsible for any graves after 1946.

Had a great turn out for that, all the guys travelling from the UK at their own expence, except 3 PARA Adjutant of course who came out as the CO couldn't make it. I wrote to the British Embassy for permission of the 2IC wearing number 2's and also asked them to contact the Royal Maltese Regiment who laid on two buglers.
                            Sadly, it wasn't the LAST POST we had all heard of before..............but never mind, Wally had a great send off, properly this time.
                            It was a good turn out as per the photos, which Don will put up shortly.
                            I lived in Malta whilst 3 PARA were there as a Forces Brat, funnily enough in Paceville near to where the cemetery is. Love the place.
                            Perhaps others can name those in the photo, but Colin Smith was only to pleased to come out as was Norman McKay, Phil our Chairman, Jimmie Morham and John Bell. Tom Brown came out as standard bearer as he was ex 3 PARA, sadly he lost his wife just after that. RIP Maureen.

MALTA 3 PARA LADS 2.jpgMALTA 3 PARA LADS AND ADJ.JPG
                            Last edited by Don the Mod; 8 August 2018, 19:32.

Comment

Great stuff, just hoping you do not need to look after my patch for a while yet. No wish to pry, but from what I have read so far this activity must cost a bob or two, particularly if people are doing a lot of comms and admin to sort stuff, and then travel abroad (like Malta) to pay final respects. Have you tried to tap any organisations for a few grand to make it a bit easier (MoD, CWGC, Lottery, PRA, etc). The overseas aid budget gave £5 million over a 2 year period a short while ago to an African All Girl Band FFS! I appreciate that 'public money' brings with it the need for control and records etc. I am sure that the Daily mail would let the public know about your work. Then again you may be totally happy as you are with no outside interference! Just sayin!

Comment

Working...
                              X