Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody remember this bloke killed in the EOKA trouble in Cyprus ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody remember this bloke killed in the EOKA trouble in Cyprus ?

The one's on me arse are just about healed up now!I'll soon be able to stop the evening bottle feed before bed,and sleep without a nappy!

Comment

Still getting the baby oil rub?
      Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

Originally posted by paradrummer View Post
        I was told in Maida that they cost 12/6 pence . Are you lot talking about the "Stirling" SMG ? I thought that was pretty good ,well, it was to the sten, anyway. I took my training test on a sten ,but used the Stirling a lot in Cyprus normally two to a section they were passed round on guard duties etc. Never got to use or see a ,what we called then , a "Belgian FN " we still had the old lee enfield till I left in early 59.
        The wartime cost of the Sten was 1/6d Richard. Used to fire the .22 and 303 in the cadets, but the SLR (FN) was a great weapon, even looked ally as fukk compared to the plastic shite they use these days. I was 6 when you left the army.
        "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Originally posted by Don the Mod View Post
          Always DETESTED the SMG, a fukkin awful weapon.
          I do not think that I ever managed to get a burst off from a Sten without it jamming, kin awful weapon. Used to wonder how many guys in WW2 lined some t**t up for a few rounds and got a Sten jammed on him, maybe cost a few lives. Thought the Stirling was hi tech stuff.. Weapon of choice on ambush duty I used to draw a Greener shotgun, could blow a tree down with it. Weapon of choice when visiting my potential wife in a brothel in Nicosia was a Browning 9mm pistol, fancy going for a f**k with a Lee Enfield over yer shoulder. We had a number of German WW2 Schmeizers in Sp Coy stores which used our 9 mm rounds, remarkable weapon, fired endless rounds without trouble. Brit army had a thing about crap weapons.

Comment

A lot of people hate the Sterling for various reasons. I have to say as someone who shoots a lot, and appreciates well made BRITISH weaponry, it was a tremendous weapon for those in skills that needed something for protection, such as signallers and drivers.
            I have never had a stoppage, unless we were given Pakistani 9mm rounds that did creep in when the Labour Government of the day were strapped for cash and they sent the MOD out to find anybody that could make it for us, as it got rarer and rarer, and the Pakistanis came up trumps but every other round was crap.
            David Howroyd who passed on Saturday, 17th Feb 2017 invented the SMG and it is said to have saved many a life in CQB situations in ALL conditons and weathers.
            A great British inventor who will be sadly missed IMHO.
            Last edited by Gil; 27 August 2018, 17:57.

Comment

One good thing about being on the Bren. You could go to Nicosia with a browning .was the Stirling first called a patchett , or have I dreamed that up. Gonna Google it. Yes it was and I their spelling it sterling.you got it right Gil.
              Last edited by paradrummer2; 28 August 2018, 11:49.

Comment

David invented it during WW2 and you are right it was called the Patchett for a short time. It went off for trials in Malaya and Libya to try to get it to fail from one extreme to the other full of sand and it wouldn't so it was finally brought into service in 1953. I met the guy, he was so talented in what he did for this country and never recognised properly for his sacrifice in fine tool making.
                Last edited by Gil; 28 August 2018, 11:58.

Comment

Working...
                X